PDA

View Full Version : 250ex to 250r conversion

250EXpwns
05-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Is it possible to convert a 250ex into a 250r? Has anyone ever done this? Just curious because I might do this to my bud's 250ex when I get out of high school.

Snow
05-11-2004, 08:04 AM
i doubt it, you would be better off just buying a 250r rather than trying to take the time and money to weld and order the parts and everything and watch it not work...i might be totaly wrong though.

Quadworks
05-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Why would you want to do that? That would take way to much time and definatly to much money. Hardly anything even will even bolt together. Maybe the gas cap, handlebars, tires & rear wheels. Sell the 250EX and buy a used R for about the same money.

studbacker56
05-11-2004, 12:40 PM
u got to take into consideration your welding ability. im in high school and i can weld prettty darn good so for all u saying it is the same ammount or money to buy a used r then you are wrong. that is in my case tho maybe not his or yours. if something hits the frame then i could notch it and then weld steel bar arround whatever object that i notched it out for. and i can make mounts and all and have done that such thing before. so u have to tell us your welding ability and mechanical ability and you all have to take that into consideration as well before you take a dump on his idea. just my .02

2k2-300exnj
05-11-2004, 03:43 PM
u ever see an R in real life? the physical size is double the 250ex i had a 250ex nothing but the rim bolt pattern is the same it is not worth it at all, the motor it self would be a pain in the *** u would need a new swingarm to make it chain drive and the quad would fall apart from vibration from such a powerful motor in that frame it isnt made for that abuse even with gussets out the arse

Cripple
05-11-2004, 08:20 PM
I have ridden both, one right after another and to say the least I would be scared to go past 3rd gear with that power in a little 250EX, the suspension would only seem worse, keeping the front end down near impossible, and turning something that narrow with the power on isn't an option, even after spending enough $$ on custom parts that could help towards a complete used 250R, i dont think it would be too much fun too ride. If you still have a spare 250R engine, their are great part outs in the classifieds here to start a much better project quad

wheeltrax
05-11-2004, 08:55 PM
im going with more work than what you probably want to do..

JStylz0383
07-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Hey, Go for it.... I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, (maybe they are right for all I know) But i was thinking of doing something like that but with a 450.. YOur in the same boat as me lol..

07-03-2004, 04:38 PM
yea but no matter if you use a 450 or a 250r youre still gonna have to find a swingarm from a chain driven quad thats at least close to a 250ex and modify it from there, then you need an axle sprockets and everything else a chaindrive quad needs that you wont have from a shaft driven one so you should just buy a used r because its lower bigger and better handling has beter shocks and you dont have to have all the time without a quad

Syrus
07-03-2004, 04:44 PM
For one... why would u want to put a 250r in a 250ex frame, it would handle and feel like ****. Your better off to buy a 250r that way you have everything set up, and would be lighter than the 250ex frame etc..

2nd of all, its gonna be a waste of money, what will u get out of it ? u wont be able to race it, only thing u gonna have to do with it is repair and have something different to talk about to ur buddy's. It isnt worth the trouble. The 250ex is a great machine, leave it as is. If u want 2 stroke, buy the 250r they way it should be bought :)

skidaddyjr
07-05-2004, 07:19 PM
All I can say is YOU CAN DO IT! But make sure you got good insurance, the skin grafts to replace your -ss will be expensive!