PDA

View Full Version : Need an oil tank fast!! Where to look online?

EX Stud
05-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm pissed off about this problem with my 400ex. I was going to simply change the oil. I've done it dozens of times, but this time something went wrong.

I pulled out my wrench, put it on the drain bolt. As soon as I started to push on the wrench....SNAPPP! Oil started running out of the tank. The bolt didn't brake or anything just snapped the whole piece off. There is a jagged inch wide hole in my oil tank.

HAS anyone had this problem before?? I was just wondering if it is common.

I barely even pushed on it and it broke, I workou and all but i'm not that strong...LOL!

Anyway i asked my honda dealer how much for a new one and he said $170. So, i was looking online and found one that holds a quart more oil than stock for $175. What kind of tanks do you guys recommend? Where can they be purchased?

THANKS

JOEX
05-10-2004, 09:34 PM
It's not uncommon, the newer 400's have a reinforced drain plug too. There are also crush washers on the bolt that should be replaced but I doubt many do.

You can try servicehonda.com for a stock replacement but i'd go with an aftermarket one.

Chino
05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
I had the exact same problem man, like the whole casing (sp) of the oil tank, came out wrapped around the drain plug and cracked it all to h@ll. I just got an aftermarket tank, i didnt see any use in getting another stock oil tank, that the same problem may happen again, as joe ex said, replace that crush washer each time u change to oil, it will help you out and save you $$ in the long run.

EX Stud
05-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Which brands are good, and which ones should i stay away from?