PDA

View Full Version : front brakes

devildriver422
05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
hey i took apart my front brakes today to change the pads and the new ones wont fit back in. anyone have any ideas?

JOEX
05-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Do you mean the caliper wont fit over the rotor with the new pads?

Assuming you got the right pads, you might need to push the caliper piston back. A C-clamp works well for this.

devildriver422
05-11-2004, 09:38 AM
i mean the pads dont fit into the caliper theyre too thick

cdalejef
05-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Like JOEX said, make sure the piston is all the way into the calliper.

devildriver422
05-12-2004, 12:54 PM
how do i get the piston back in?

cdalejef
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by devildriver422
how do i get the piston back in? C-clamp is the easiest way.

Knips178
05-12-2004, 02:20 PM
open the bleeder and push the piston all the way in. then close the bleeder. You can damage the piston or brake system if you just squeeze the piston real hard to get it pushed in, so don't.

JOEX
05-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Knips178
open the bleeder and push the piston all the way in. then close the bleeder. You can damage the piston or brake system if you just squeeze the piston real hard to get it pushed in, so don't.
What damage can be done by pushing the piston back with out opening the bleeder?

Knips178
05-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Well, that primarily was a reflex reply because on cars with abs it can damage the abs from too much back pressure on the system by just pushing hard on the piston and forcing the hydraulic pressure back on the brake system. In this case you obviously don't have abs, so that won't damage anything, but if you go slamming screw drivers and clamps on an aluminum caliper and force that piston your likely to mar or "mess up" the caliper from trying to force it. If done right, you won't damage anything but it's a safer practice to just open the bleeder and push with your hand the piston back and then close the bleeder.

JOEX
05-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Knips178
Well, that primarily was a reflex reply because on cars with abs it can damage the abs from too much back pressure on the system by just pushing hard on the piston and forcing the hydraulic pressure back on the brake system. In this case you obviously don't have abs, so that won't damage anything, but if you go slamming screw drivers and clamps on an aluminum caliper and force that piston your likely to mar or "mess up" the caliper from trying to force it. If done right, you won't damage anything but it's a safer practice to just open the bleeder and push with your hand the piston back and then close the bleeder.
Thanks for clearing that up;) I understad what you're saying about opening the bleeder will be 'easier' on the parts but probably over kill here.

Opening the bleeder when changing pads will most likely require bleeding the lines as well. Not that it is hard, but some don't understand the process.

Knips178
05-14-2004, 07:27 AM
You shouldn't have to re-bleed the lines from just opening the bleeder and pushing the piston in then closing it. it won't let any air back in as long as you keep pressure on the piston while you close the bleeder. but yeah, it may be a little over kill, but i know some people get pretty aggresive when try to pry back that piston and end up damaging stuff. anyway good luck