PDA

View Full Version : Backyard jump

knighttime
03-19-2002, 11:20 AM
What size should this backyard jump be? The ground is level. I only have enough room to get it into 2nd or maybe 3rd gear. I want to make it out of wood. I want to get enough air to be able to jump over tomato plants in a small garden.

How steep should it be, and how long should the ramp be?

:confused:

03-19-2002, 04:15 PM
how long is the garden? Also do u stake the tomatoes? Then it will be easier to decide

trx400ex
03-19-2002, 04:48 PM
oh i got alot of ideas on this, you definetaly want it to not be too steep and have a tiny tiny arch to it. make it real long and 5ft tall i dont know if 10 feet long would be good? hit that in second or third and you could go big , well kinda big,, i am debating making ine over a bike jump this weekend

Nausty
03-19-2002, 10:02 PM
if you make it to steep it is a lot harder to preload the suspension and catch a lot of hight and distance and having that steep of jump just slows down your foward momentem and makes it harder to preload at the right time and if you are bored take the time to make a nice lip or part where it gets steeper at the very top because if you make a jump perfect you can catch a ton of air at hardly any speed. Me and my friends about every summer we live in the dirt with our shovels making jumps for our bikes or quads or anything so we know what works and what doesn't. Also when you make jumps use a garden hose or something before you start to jump to spray it on the jump a few times and after it drys a few times the top surface gets really hard and the rain doesn't tear it up as easily or the quads.

MOFO
03-20-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
I want to get enough air to be able to jump over tomato plants in a small garden.

:confused:

LOL, this ought to be good. I'll have to warm my camera up. :D 416EX vs Tomato plants.....my $$$ is on the plant. :D

Eric

03-20-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

my $$$ is on the plant. :D

Eric

LMAO,,,,I want pics of this....I can picture in my mind Mike doin heel clickers over the mater plants..ha haa ROFL

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 07:14 AM
What are those sticks called that you put in a hole? OUCH!!!!!

EXtreme-
03-20-2002, 01:05 PM
LOL...one ooooops and knightime will be a shishkabob......already got the tomato....just add meat!:D

trx400ex
03-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
if you make it to steep it is a lot harder to preload the suspension and catch a lot of hight and distance and having that steep of jump just slows down your foward momentem and makes it harder to preload at the right time and if you are bored take the time to make a nice lip or part where it gets steeper at the very top because if you make a jump perfect you can catch a ton of air at hardly any speed. Me and my friends about every summer we live in the dirt with our shovels making jumps for our bikes or quads or anything so we know what works and what doesn't. Also when you make jumps use a garden hose or something before you start to jump to spray it on the jump a few times and after it drys a few times the top surface gets really hard and the rain doesn't tear it up as easily or the quads.
he wants to build it out of wood, so he wont need to spray water on it:D ;) , but if i build one this weekend i will post some pics

Tommy 17
03-20-2002, 05:53 PM
haha i may need to get in my truck this weekend and take a ride out to go old butler pa!!!!!!! haha i will bring the beer and the cell phone so we can call 911 haha... j.k knighttime

knighttime
03-20-2002, 11:54 PM
And it looks like a tree needs trimmed to make this happen. Also a cable line looks low, but I don't think I'll be that high to hit it.

It will happen.

Its a great day to be alive "Travis Tritt"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

knighttime
03-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Post some pics of some homemade jumps, preferably made out of wood.

:blah

03-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Don't have any pics but we've made jumps out of logs in the woods,,just piled them up in a piramid and packed dirt on top to smooth it out,,it didn't last to long though,,,just make the sucka out of concrete and be done with it..:eek:

derekhonda
03-24-2002, 07:13 PM
haha i made my first ramp out of wood. it was 4 feet tall by about 5 feet long and like a deck that was 5 and a half or 6 foot. it felt like running into a wall. dont make it too steep

kc 300EX
03-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Me and my friend made this one outta an old brush pile, some logs, and a couple wheel borrows full of dirt, I know it looks small, but you get decent air off this little sucker(see next pic)

kc 300EX
03-24-2002, 08:03 PM
not to bad, this is with my 10 dollar camera too

EX Fanatic
03-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Sweet!!! ;):)

JabberJaw
03-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Here you go...

Warrioreater400ex
04-04-2002, 10:37 PM
jabber- you and kc look a lot alike :huh :huh :devil