PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on tire size for 400ex

03-19-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey all, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before...

I mostly do trail riding and I am in the need of more ground clearance in the rear of my atv. I've been looking around at wheel and tire combos and am trying to make a decision on what to go with. So any suggestions or opinions will be highly appreciated. The questions I have are....

How much more ground clearance will I get with putting 22" tires on the rear?

If I put taller tires on the back, should I put taller ones on the front also? Will this mess with the handling of the bike?

I have heard that I won't loss that much bottom end power, but I figured if I am unhappy with the results, I could always change the front sprocket to compensate. I have the funds to get a wheel/tire combo for the back, but I'd rather not get ones for the front, the stockers are fine but I will change if it is going to change the great handling of the 400ex.

Also, I found a set of wheels that were 21X11X10, how much more gound clearance will that give and will the tires rub anything with being wider then stock.

Thanks to all in advance.
Derek

cdalejef
03-19-2002, 11:20 AM
For trails and XC most of the guys around here run Holeshots, 22x11x9 on the rear and 23x7x10 on the front. That gives you about 2" more ground clearance than the stock radials. You don't have to change the fronts but you may notice it sitting a little high in the rear if you don't. We like running stock rims but if you want aftermarket ones go with the Douglas rolled edge wheels, if money isn't a factor get bead locks. The tires will not rub anywere.

Texan32
03-19-2002, 11:42 AM
alot of people run 22's. I personally don't care for how they look, but they definately will work. And, like you said, if you need more power you can change your sprocket. Changing to a bigger rear sprocket will increase low end too. The front sprocket only has 15 teeth stock. The rear has 38....so changign the rear would be less drastic in case you were worried about top end. Just a thought.

bact to the tires. Going with a 22 actually only gains you 1inch of clearance. You have to split the difference by two...radius of tire...center point...1/2 dist....any how, you only get 1 inch of added overall clearance. But, you will deffinately know there is a difference when you go riding.

As far as which tire to run, thats all up to you. I personally run the Bandit's and REALLY like them (think i'm going to turn them around...i hear they hook up even better). Hope this helps.

cdalejef
03-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Stock radials aren't a true 20" tire, thats why I said about 2".