PDA

View Full Version : The next big thing?

Pappy
05-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Well, this winter we saw the YFZ and new TRX brought to the masses and although they havent been out long i'd like to see what you all think will be the next big thing to hit the atv world.

Could be anything, independent rear suspension on sport quads, new engine designs, suspension related etc.

Lemme hear what ya gots to say:p

Or maybe even what you would like to see :confused:

wilkin250r
05-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I think fuel injection on sport quads. Yeah, cannondale did it, but I think we'll see it come out on the big 3 (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki/Kawasaki) We are already seeing it on the utilities.

theTman
05-10-2004, 02:20 PM
id like to see sport quads come with nerf bars right out of the show room, and better shocks.. also i agree with the EFI

Doibugu2
05-10-2004, 02:34 PM
EFI makes sense.

Would we really want a quad with IRS? Are we like the 4x4 guys who like solid axles just with lots of travel? I'm asking because I don't know.

If we got IRS, would that mean we would have 2 tires that spin independently.

05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
I think someone, don't know who, will come out with a big beast to competivly compete with the 700 V-force. I know there's Utes out there that have the motor, but the V-force is the ONLY quad of it's size both physical and motor that is considered a sport quad.

05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I was just thinking along these lines the other day! For as long as I can remember. (before the 400ex came out) you heard all kinda of rumers about what is coing out next and what needs to be done. This has all but dissapeared in the last 6 months. Is everyone satisfied???????

Personly I am not looking forward to the NEXT BIG thing. I am ready for the manufactures to put time into the machines they have out now making them better!!!!!!!!! Nothing big. I would like to see the companies one up each other every year to give their quad just a slight edge over the other manufactures!

Berry
05-10-2004, 02:42 PM
i wish they would have multiple frame colors and also make the frame really strong for rough for race conditions!

2001400ex
05-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I think EFI will be the next thing. Either that or someone will come out with a monster CC quad. Like 800CC's or something. Yamaha was the first to do it with their snowmobiles. (I know the Thundercats were out before them, but they don't exist anymore.)

And Ski-Doo just came out with a 1,000CC two-stroke snowmobile engine. A twin cylinder. That's just my opinion.

K2Snow
05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
More big bore quads like the Raptor. Would be nice to see a CBR954 engine or something in a quad, even an F4i engine would kick *** :devil: EFI sounds nice too.

kamikaze_rzrbak
05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
yamaha and honda will merge:eek2:

theTman
05-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
yamaha and honda will merge:eek2:

thatll be the day pigs fly:p

nacs400ex
05-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Better performance motors ( same as dirtbikes) They took away a lot of the umph that the thumper dirtbikes have. (yfz and trx).

R&D on the 2-stroke motor to bring the emissions down, yet have the same power. I was reading when CAT did this, they ended up producing a lower emission, but with even more power than before.

Update the 300ex to a crf250 style motor, producing way more power to the 300ex, along with a similar handling chassis to the trx450r or 400ex, change up that old body styling a bit. Get rid of the handlebar light.

Update the 400ex with reverse and liquid cooling. (increasing sales and competing more evenly with the Z, KFX, DVX.

Maybe have a HUGE change in the way sport atvs suspension works. (not an a-arm design) Companies like W-tec are trying to improve the standard of handling. Maybe through the R&D one of the big 3 will find a setup that works better than a-arms.

The major manufacturers need MX and XC versions of their major sport models, just like the Sleds and dirtbikes. If that is not possible, accessory option ( chassis colors, handlebars, nerfs, shocks, tires, etc) For the shocks a neat idea would be to team up with aftermarket companies like Elka, Axis or PEP and offer different models of shocks.

I think aluminium frames and EFI is a must in the atv performance area.

Bobbs07
05-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I think EFI will be the next thing. Either that or someone will come out with a monster CC quad. Like 800CC's or something. Yamaha was the first to do it with their snowmobiles. (I know the Thundercats were out before them, but they don't exist anymore.)

And Ski-Doo just came out with a 1,000CC two-stroke snowmobile engine. A twin cylinder. That's just my opinion.

I say screw the big cc quads, make little cc quads that put out some power! Or make the big cc quads put out some major power, not a 660 raptor thats just as fast as a 400ex with a pipe...

Also, i agree sport fourwheelers, utilitys dont need them, should come with nerf bars, or some type or nerf bar.. I have slipped before on fourwheelers with out them and its painful to get your foot in the wheel spinning at any speed.

EXDUNER127
05-10-2004, 03:24 PM
EFI is already happening here in Arizona i know, i know a few people who have them on their raptors, and i know two guys who have 400ex's with it.

here is a topic of it on a local forum alot of my local friends are on!
http://atvfanatics.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=3886054761&f=464100565

Atreyu
05-10-2004, 03:27 PM
National worthy quads straight from the factory. I think that's what our sport needs. Also, someone needs to step it up in the smaller classes and make a more competitive quad.

AZblaster44
05-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
EFI makes sense.

Would we really want a quad with IRS? Are we like the 4x4 guys who like solid axles just with lots of travel? I'm asking because I don't know.

I wouldn't want them to go to IRS, it would mean more body roll and one more hella expensive aftermarket shock to buy :rolleyes:

2001400ex
05-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Not only that. It will make the quad more expensive than they already are.

wilkin250r
05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Independent rear suspension doesn't necessarily mean it requires a differential. You can drive separate drive shafts without a differential.

Personally, I don't like the idea of independent rear suspension. Too much roll, and if it is done with two independent swingarms, the ability to widen the wheelbase becomes increasingly complex.

I don't too much happening in the arena of big-bore quads like the V-force. As I see it, the V-force isn't a huge success. Yeah, it's a big powerful motor, but the 450R and YFZ are much more popular. I don't see anybody spending money chasing the V-force when the hot ticket items are smaller, more powerful race-ready quads.

popo
05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Bring back the good ole 250R.

theTman
05-10-2004, 04:07 PM
The major manufacturers need MX and XC versions of their major sport models, just like the Sleds and dirtbikes. If that is not possible, accessory option ( chassis colors, handlebars, nerfs, shocks, tires, etc) For the shocks a neat idea would be to team up with aftermarket companies like Elka, Axis or PEP and offer different models of shocks

i highly agree...they may cost a pretty penny like the Cdales..but it would be worth it... y go out and spend 6 grand on a quad ( Ex. YFX/TRX) then put 6 more grand into it to make a racer.. when you can just go buy a race ready quad off the showroom for less

Ryan
05-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Well we all new the new Suzuki 450 will be here soon enough. And Suzuki just released (or going to release) a Utility quad, (I believe its a 700cc). That quad has EFI. Maybe we will here the same about the new Suzuki 450.

And one advantage Suzuki has is it now know's its competition. Im sure Doug Gust is working with them to produce a sick race quad. :devil:

Guy400
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
EFI definitely. Cannondale did it but there needs to be a more sophisticated system that's both more reliable and user friendly. No precise starting methods, etc. Just turn the key and hit the starter button and you're off.

New suspension on both ends of the quad. The problem with IRS right now is that any of the aftermarket companies that produce them only produce rear ends that pivot on a vertical plane (the wheel travels straight up and down). Present IRS systems do lead to body roll but better engineered systems could alleviate that. Did you guys see the 3-wheel scooter built by BMW? It's got an IRS system where when the quad is turning the linkage causes the wheels to lean into the turn and the inside suspension arm compresses further than outside arm. Both of these functions cause the entire scooter to lean in like a dirtbike.

As far as cost, it'll always go up no matter what technology comes along. I remember in 1988 when our one LT250R cost $2850 OTD and a 250R went for a couple hundred more. Tell me, what technology is on today's quads that the 250R didn't have for less than half the cost? I personally don't see $4000 worth of technology in the 450R or YFZ over a 1988 250R.

Bruno
05-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I think the next big thing in sport quads is going to be 250cc 4-stroke quads Similar to the YFZ450 and Honda 450R but with the smaller motor in. :eek2:

xr50layke
05-10-2004, 05:13 PM
hydraulic clutches.

snap-on/off front fenders.

easy to get off wheels, where, you put the wheel on, the pull down a latch inside the rim and it doesnt come off.

$200ish maintance free aftermarket shaft drives for the weekend warrior that doesnt like to adjust his chain.

maybe an automatic tranny with a clutch.

Willfulone
05-10-2004, 05:49 PM
One that goes on water!!!

Peace
Willfulone

Narly R
05-10-2004, 06:18 PM
A crf450 3-wheeler!:eek2:

I bet we will see a suzuki 450, then a kawasaki/srtic cat, like the Z. I dont think they will put a better engine in them, like the ACUAL 450 engine, they might make it a true 450 though. We might see like better shocks (prolly no better than the yami) and like nerf bars, and pipe/silencer smaller things.... I dont think IRS would be good, it wouldnt be good on a sport bike. And personally I wouldnt want EFI, but they will prolly do it..... I am curious to see how big on cc's they will go....:confused:

440ex kid
05-10-2004, 06:27 PM
I would like to see a cannondale like quad. I think if they would have stayed in business that would have been the future of racing. I would like to see narrow frames from the factory. Also i would like to see the factory race teams experimenting and producing wild break throughs the the cannondale carbon fiber axle and bearing carrier.

250rpilot
05-10-2004, 06:29 PM
how about this...

being in the trucking industry, when you by a new truck, you spec out exaclty how you want it built...drivetrain, colors, body style etc.

for example, say you wanted a 450r. you may choose shocks from elka, pep, or axis, and what style (zps or not). the valving would be setup for you by the factory at time of order. then you get to choose front and rear end widths (mx, xc or desert). then you get to choose gearing, with manufacturer recommendations for each riding style. then you choose your color for frame and fenders.

sure, it would be a few bucks more to have this done, but it would save you in the long run, and it would be built how YOU want it, and for how YOU ride it, not the average of the general public. that would be sweet.

toby400ex
05-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Windshield, propellor, cup holder. That would be sweet, on any quad.

4wheelboy
05-10-2004, 07:19 PM
cheaper suspension:o

Quad18star
05-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Like everyone else has said ... I think EFI will be the next big thing ... As for IRS ... High Speed Dirt out of Manitoba Canada has produced this for the LT250r .

But I think the next BIG thing that will change the Industry , will be HUGE Factory involvement . I say next year you are going to see Yamaha , Honda , Suzuki , Kawasaki rigs at the nationals . The Factories are gunna step up and put up huge purses for the series . You're going to see more Factory backed riders like the dirtbikes . Factory ATV Racing is gunna be mainstream within the next 2 years .... mark my words on this one ... !!!!!

Bad Habit
05-10-2004, 08:27 PM
What are the chances of KTM throwing a contender into the atv racing scene??? They've been extremely aggressive (and successful) with getting the dirtbikes into the mainstream the past couple years, and you know they have got to be salivating over the number of units sold in the atv segment.

I think the IRS may be something to look at. Has anyone seen the superlites (I think that's what they're called) that race in arenas on supercross style tracks? They seem to have the body roll figured out pretty well, as do the high-end sandcars out today.

kamikaze_rzrbak
05-10-2004, 10:11 PM
i definetly see ktm in the ATV industry, just look how people drool over ktm powered quads:eek2: they can't so no to us:muscle:

QuadJunkies
05-11-2004, 12:38 AM
I heard a rumor Polaris would have a Fuel injected quad by 2005/2006:confused: (Cant remeber which year it was:o )

I agree......KTM would be great to see!!

xr50layke
05-11-2004, 06:27 AM
yeah, the SP700 EFI.

snap-off fenders would be great so you can snap off for racing and then snap them back on for mud protection.

team_450_88
05-11-2004, 07:29 AM
I think the 450 size motor is the biggest u need to go for mx racing because its not a huge 700cc engine and still pulls hard abd puts out power...JMO

RMX500
05-11-2004, 07:39 AM
hmm, future.

EFI, Variable Valve Timing (honda), turbo's for most makes, more shocks like the Fox Float's, rear air shocks, V-twin sporters, I4 motors..

eventually quads will carry most of the mods that FI bikes and cars can take today, way more exhaust companies will jump in the mix i imagine..

bradley300
05-11-2004, 09:18 AM
for sport quads, i doubt we wil see anything bigger than a v-twin, i also doubt we wil ever see a IRS sport quad, with as important weight is to a race quad, i dont think any of the big 5 would want to risk it.
i do see KTM coming in too, as well as at least 1 low emmisions two stroke racer.
i dont think we will be seeing a honda rig at any of the races, they dont do the GNCC's fpr thier bikes, and i highly doubt they would sponser there quads b4 there bikes. VTEC honda quads dosent sound like a far off dream tho, they have thetechnology already, its light wieght and they have already moved it from cars to thier v-twin street bikes.
aluminum frames and efi will al be here soon, the ATK is already out and riders like jeff are gonna show the big 5 that efi and aluminum frames are very viable options.

i love the idea of the made to order quads, i doubt the big 3 shock comanies would get involved b/c that would drive prices thru the roof, but i wouldnt doubt that soon you will able to order your showa 450r shocks set up for your wieght, riding style and skill level

wilkin250r
05-11-2004, 12:22 PM
It's possible that KTM will get into the business of ATV's, but not anytime real soon. I don't see KTM making a utility quad, and right now utility sales still outnumber sport sales. If sport sales continue to climb over the next few years, then KTM will probably jump on the ring. The problem is that the same thing that happened in the late 80's is starting to happen today. The media is portraying ATVs as "dangerous", and I don't really think KTM is ready to put their butt on the line.

One one side, you have factory support for racing, on the other side you have the media and closures of riding areas. I think KTM will wait a few years to see how the whole thing plays out.

RMX500
05-11-2004, 12:43 PM
honda will never use VTEC in anything less than and I4 so I believe there will be an I4 in a quad chassis.

it'll turn out just like superbikes... V-Twin's vs. I4's and the neverending war of such.

ZSK
05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I would really like to see a competative sport 4x4. The scrambler 500, 400 and the wolverine 350 are the only ones in the class. I'd like to see a 400ex, or predator, based 4x4 quad. Nice suspension, good power and 4 wheel drive to take it anywhere. I'd like to see lower prices on everything.

QuAdEr 317
05-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by popo
Bring back the good ole 250R.

yep with sum more improvements maybe:macho

Quad18star
05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Maybe they can invent a self cleaning quad .... just like the self cleaning ovens ;) . Im just joking around .... I agree with whoever said the 450 was perfect size for racing , but i think we'll see the engine displacements get larger . Look at the sport bike market .... 1000 cc , 1200 cc, 1300cc .... too many cc for anything . I think the manufacturers are gunna keep going bigger with their quads ... In the sport market , I think the manufacturers are gunna be building quads in the 500 cc range . I wouldn't mind seeing the YFZ bumped to a true 449 cc or even a 470 cc . I still believe that the manufacturers are gunan get more involved . Theres a reason why little japanese dudes have been spotted running around the GNC series as well as the GNCC . Like Wilkin said ... I doubt KTM will get involved for a while . Lawsuits Lawsuits Lawsuits ...... you're gunna start hearing more and more of them soon since the ATV market is getting more and more popular

xr50layke
05-11-2004, 02:46 PM
actually, a sixth gear to most 4x4s would be nice, instead of topping out at 45-50, make it 57ish

team_450_88
05-11-2004, 03:56 PM
I hate buying a quad getting it fixed up to how I need it and then the factory comes out with a quad just as good but thats there way of making us spend $...But again I think they should stay in the 450cc range...its not heavy not tall and is a pretty good size racing engine...the 660 raptor engine was to tall and didnt hit like a 450 engine does and dont rev as fast...yamaha has made a good engine I would like to the the engine cc bumped up also and would like to see them do the cam mod stock and come up with some better graphics...smaller tires from factory would be nice for mx racers and STRONGER FRAMES AND A BETTER WARRANTY...HAHA MAYBE THEY CAN MAKE SOME KINDA WARRANTY CALLED A MX WARRANTY WEAR IT COVERS MORE !! lol just some thoughts

05-11-2004, 04:06 PM
i would like to see them a lil cheeper and have some better designs on them not just the plain 1s

Chanman420q
05-11-2004, 04:07 PM
id like to see a push button 4x4 sport quad, think what that could do in the GNCC races

JUSTINcredible
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
NOS or hellicopter propellers, an oil slick that shoots out of the pipe, pins that come out of the back to give the compition flat tires, sax blades that come out the side of the wheels, and machine gun mounted right on the handle bars would be nice:devil:

TheFontMaster
05-11-2004, 07:34 PM
I think that the IRS is a bad idea on sport quads, too much body rol, and more matinence, and more expensive aftermarket stuff. I think that a 4 wheel high performance quad would be awsome, I can't tell you how many times I wish I had power to 2 more wheels on my 300ex. But I think the next place sport quads are going is EFI, and more performance and power in the 200-350 cc range.

bradley300
05-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RMX500
honda will never use VTEC in anything less than and I4 so I believe there will be an I4 in a quad chassis.

then would you care to explain why they use it in the vfr interceptor 750, which is a v twin motor?

RMX500
05-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
then would you care to explain why they use it in the vfr interceptor 750, which is a v twin motor?

shiot. serious? I've never seen one of those. I'm only seen the I4 bikes with the VTEC.

well then maybe it won't be that long before we see the VTEC in a honda.

but I dunno how soon V-Twins will be mainstream in sport models...

because if you look at it, the only V-Twins are the big 700 and 650 utilities and that tank of a halfbreed V-Force. I just can't picture a competitive V-Twin sport quad. Maybe a big open class machine. I bet you Polaris will put a V-Twin in a sport model in the near future.

Chanman420q
05-12-2004, 01:22 PM
i always hoped for a twin 440. but i think it would lead to banshee expensises, 2 pipes, 2 pistons, 2 carbs, 2 or 4 cams. be a pretty expensive motor to mod, but i bet the power in stock trim if done right could be amazing.

TWIN 440 EFI :D

exatak199
05-12-2004, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see a KTM 450 engine with EFI and keep it under 300pounds (might be hard)v with about 12inches of travel all around;) that would be one sweet mofo:devil:

raptorrider
05-12-2004, 03:01 PM
KTM Quad, low center of gravity, nice suspension

450 for racing,
525 for open class domination!

And maybe a 4x4 "real" sport quad, with suspension travel of todays sport quads and low weight.

250EXstud
05-12-2004, 10:13 PM
The industry has to top out sometime i hope. Now don't know don't get me wrong i like power and speed but over 700cc is getting rediculous. I meen think about it if they keep on growing someday we may have 1500cc qauds, and if something has that much motor than is it really a quad? I think the qauds will become like the bikes everyone will have there 450. There won't be any big differences from them and they will be the norm for race quads

Quad18star
05-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Like the post above ... I really hope they top out soon . Just think if they make a 1500 cc quad ... can you say Lawsuits . You're gunna get some little 10 year old ridding a 1500cc , people are gunna get hurt . Where do you really use 700cc??? The higher they get in CCs the more lawsuits you're gunna see and then the insurance prices are gunna be sky high .... look at the insurance prices for street bikes .... insane !!!!!

xr50layke
05-17-2004, 08:17 AM
i think 450 for utility and 450 for sport is enough.

WhiteBros400ex
05-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Better performance motors ( same as dirtbikes) They took away a lot of the umph that the thumper dirtbikes have. (yfz and trx).

R&D on the 2-stroke motor to bring the emissions down, yet have the same power. I was reading when CAT did this, they ended up producing a lower emission, but with even more power than before.

Update the 300ex to a crf250 style motor, producing way more power to the 300ex, along with a similar handling chassis to the trx450r or 400ex, change up that old body styling a bit. Get rid of the handlebar light.

Update the 400ex with reverse and liquid cooling. (increasing sales and competing more evenly with the Z, KFX, DVX.

Maybe have a HUGE change in the way sport atvs suspension works. (not an a-arm design) Companies like W-tec are trying to improve the standard of handling. Maybe through the R&D one of the big 3 will find a setup that works better than a-arms.

The major manufacturers need MX and XC versions of their major sport models, just like the Sleds and dirtbikes. If that is not possible, accessory option ( chassis colors, handlebars, nerfs, shocks, tires, etc) For the shocks a neat idea would be to team up with aftermarket companies like Elka, Axis or PEP and offer different models of shocks.

I think aluminium frames and EFI is a must in the atv performance area.

I agree with all that:D

allmixedup047
06-26-2004, 01:09 AM
fully race ready for about 2000 bucks out the door

Cody_300ex
06-26-2004, 12:56 PM
I think honda sould put there VTEC technolgy into there off road vehicles!!!

speedy400
06-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I honestly hope they dont do a thing to the factory quads. Say they did make a race ready needs-nothing, out of the box quad. all ready to go. Yippy skippy, everyone has the same quad and all the same and no more economy for quad parts and such.pretty much whats happening with snomobiles, they some the best out of the factory, if you pipe them most likly you'll loose performance... I'm guessing they'll start with more electronic stuff, like the new "cars". -my 2 cents-darren

Toadz400
06-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
I honestly hope they dont do a thing to the factory quads. Say they did make a race ready needs-nothing, out of the box quad. all ready to go. Yippy skippy, everyone has the same quad and all the same and no more economy for quad parts and such.pretty much whats happening with snomobiles, they some the best out of the factory, if you pipe them most likly you'll loose performance... I'm guessing they'll start with more electronic stuff, like the new "cars". -my 2 cents-darren

I agree with Darren. They should come as how they are, except EFI and an aluminum frame would help. But nothing more than that...otherwise it's all going to be the same.

Also this way a lot more people can afford them, and that's what the companies are looking at...they would never release a $25,000 quad...one or two people would buy them. Big success there.

Also I wish they wouldn't detune the 450 engines for the quads, just leave them how they are except with the stronger gears for the extra load. I also think that parking brake is stupid...oh well, I suppose some people use it.

Mofo Racing
06-26-2004, 08:37 PM
the v-tec in the interceptor is kink of tricky. I scared the doo doo out of me. Its like when you hit 7000 rpm you get a rush of torqe and horsepower. That can be a little tricky in a wet turn. I use to have an interceptor but mine didn't have the v-tec in it. My boy had one and he let me ride it once, and thats all it took. Awsome bike though. I sold it to get my 400. I just can't see paying a bike note and not riding it in the cold.

Anyway next big thing Bubba Stewart on a honda.

He's going to the big boy class now.;)

SRH
06-26-2004, 11:39 PM
a 450r that comes with a crf style exhaust, a aluminum frame, no detuned, no lights, already wide enough with lt shocks, a crf rear linkage style shock wider axle , no parking brake and a set of renthals like all the crs come with, id buy one up in like 2 seconds

banshee364r
06-27-2004, 11:21 AM
i would have to say that efi will be big but as for having the manufactures build the quads all set up for our specific need screw that that the whole point and fun in owning toys like quads,sleds and bikes to set them up your own personal way i mean whats the difference if they started putting pipes,nerfs,new colors etc. i bet more than half of us on here would be tearing the **** off anyways so why pay for it up front and then spend then money to make it how you want it

Rip_Tear
06-27-2004, 08:40 PM
turbo chargers... Hydrogen fuel cells... EFI, aftermarket suspension options (so you don't have to get stock shocks)

Punk'd
06-28-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by theTman
thatll be the day pigs fly:p

pigs do fly..http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/pab5b9990552efdbb6cf0197868a18a3a/f816547a.jpg

allmixedup047
06-28-2004, 08:28 PM
i thought bubba was going to KTM.:confused: maybe not, hell be faster on the honda:D