PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Welding

Zero Z400
03-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Has anyone seen any plastic welding kits. I was thinking about getting one because my plasctic broke and i don't want new plastic. If you have used any do you know what kit is the best?

Thanx

R-Crazy
03-19-2002, 11:42 AM
try taking a sodering gun and melting the plastic down. then sand it out with very fine grit sandpaper. wax it. and make some kind of support out of sheet metal so it wont brek again. it look pretty good. if you want you could even clear coat it. better then holes and zip ties.

dave

XC250R
03-19-2002, 01:03 PM
http://urethanesupply.com/ATVwelder.htm

crashinmatt
03-19-2002, 04:48 PM
I cut my fenders off and made a light block-off from the pieces that i cut off. I saved the rest and some of the scraps so i could patch. all u have to do is take a soldering gun melt the crack together and if u have scraps melt them over the grooves left over from melting the crack together. after ur done, let it cool for a little while and run the soldering gun over to smooth it out.

Kadafiy
03-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Devcon makes a plastic welder I and a plastic welder II. They also make Flex welder which I bought. I ordered it through my work and don't really know where to get it. I think some one said Walmart but I don't know which ones they would carry.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-19-2002, 08:27 PM
.or tried that rather....on my headlight plastic when i wrecked.
used the saudering thing...on both sides....it's not very strong and it's not mounted on my bike anymore...
also did it on a little piece of my rear fender..right where the seat is....looked good.parents thought i was an idiot in here. but i mounted my plastic back on and went riding..the other day i got tangled up in some vines in a trail and used my reverse...(the one time i use that &%$* reverse...a vine cought on and finished tearing off the rest of my plastc...(just the little "wing" i left on the rear)...ahhh $%^& i hate it...bikes lookin worse and worse everyday...if i do buy new plastic i'm ganna be scared to mount it
!!!#$^%&$#!!!

Nausty
03-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Well if you never ride in mud and mostly at motorcross tracks i would recommend cutting your fenders mainly because the plastic doesn't really scratch or break or anything and looks good if you ask me.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-19-2002, 09:50 PM
if so.....haha i already have em' shaved.
.i have nooo fender's nothing haha just tire's it's crazy man....

Zero Z400
04-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your replies. I bought the Mini-Weld Model 5 Airless Plastic Welder. I'm still getting used to it but it works good. I havn't got to the fender becuase i don't want to screw it up. I'm not sure if it was worth $150 but it works. Thanks for the link SUP440

04-12-2002, 10:16 AM
I think that the plastic welding is great if you can master it. If you dont get it right it will only be and look worse and you just paid for a tool you can not use. If you leave the repaired section without enough support it will be braking again soon.

What I have used is a two part epoxy made for plastics. I have used it to repair just about everything from the lousy reverse knob on a raptor to automotive type bumpers. Its made by a company called SEM and should be avail from a auto parts or body shop supply store.

The price should be around 15.00 for a small tube. It looks like two syringes glued together.

You just squeeze some of boths parts out and mix together with a putty knife and apply it to what you want to stick together. I just works.

If you can not find any PM me and I will work something out for getting it to you.