PDA

View Full Version : Water stalling motor

miken
05-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, hitting water (not very deep either) is causing my motor to almost die. I don't think its electrical because I noticed some water in my air box (stock). I think the air box is sealed up great. I think its getting in from the frame tubes. Anyone else have this problem on a stock 300ex? Fixes?
Thanks in advance,
Mike -

300exOH
05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
How deep are we talking? I have gone through water almost to the fenders and had no trouble at all. You may try slowing down for the water crossings. Also make certain all your connections to the airbox are tight.

miken
05-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks, it is speed related. I can slowly power through deeper water without problems. I think the water spashes up under the front fender and enters the frame rails where the airbox gets the air. I was thinking a hole in the airbox top may be better?
Mike -

300exOH
05-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah. If you go too fast through the water you will get some in the airbox. The hole in the lid won't help because it will still get in through the frame. Plus the airbox lid is even lower than the frame tubes. Sounds like you need a utility with a snorkel if you want to use it as a submarine. lol I would just take it easy throught the puddles. Your engine and wallet will thank you.

MrTrendy1
05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
I've taken mine through ponds (2-3ft deep water) at top speeds (3rd gear) and never had any problems with it stalling cause of water. I think it died on me once but thats cause I hit the water so hard and it stopped me dead on, I failed to push in the clutch so thats why it died.

k2-dawg
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
You still may want to try some dielectric grease on your electrical connections as well as your spark plug boot. Precautionary suggestion.

miken
05-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replys. I didn't realize the air box lid was lower than the inlet of the frame tubes. You saved me a hole in the lid. I was planning on sealing the frame tube holes though. The dielectric grease is also a good suggestion. Slowing down is probably the easiest thing to do :( .

Chanman420q
05-11-2004, 03:37 PM
my friend had this happen on his 300ex when it was brand new, hed hit water and it would bog, if he touched the gas it die, hed have to let it idle a little then go

miken
05-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Yep, that's what its doing. Did he find a fix or live with it?
Mike -