PDA

View Full Version : world's stupidest brake question...

cwiert
05-10-2004, 10:08 AM
ok...the rear brakes on my 300ex stopped working suddenly, so i wanted to inspect the brake pads. while attempting to do so, i accidently loosened the wrong bolts and oil started pouring out from some seal. i quickly tightened it back up as not to lose anymore oil. it didn't look like brake fluid though. it was very dark in color. what did i do? what was that oil from and how do i make sure there is still enough of it left...whereever it came from?
sorry for the stupid question.

JOEX
05-10-2004, 10:31 AM
What bolts did the oil come from?

Quadworks
05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
There is no oil in the caliper, only brake fluid. Just refill the rear resivoir on the right rear under the plastic and maybe bleed the brakes. Then that will take care of that part. You should flush that system though by the sounds of it, if it is that dark. The fluid definatly needs flushed.

cwiert
05-10-2004, 11:42 AM
the oil didn't come from the bolts. it came out of a seam that opened up when i loosened the bolts. there were two bolts that were the same size and in the same area as the 2 bolts that you have to take off to change the pads.

Maybe it was just REALLY dirty brake fluid. It was clean in the reserviour, though.

JOEX
05-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I bet you loosened the bolts for the parking break or block off plate. If there was fluid in there you will need new orings and seal. You can get them from C&C Racing or your local dealer, should only be a few dollars. You'll want to replacethe fluid and bleed the brakes of course, not hard to do.:)

KY Woods Rider
05-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I bet you loosened the bolts for the parking break or block off plate. If there was fluid in there you will need new orings and seal. You can get them from C&C Racing or your local dealer, should only be a few dollars. You'll want to replacethe fluid and bleed the brakes of course, not hard to do.:)

Yep, going by the description of a seam and 2 bolts of the same size, that's what it sounds like to me too.

If me and JOEX are correct about it being the bolts on the parking brake/block-off plate that you loosened, you didn't really goof up as bad as you thought you did, because you accidentally discovered the blown seal that caused your brakes to quit working.

cwiert
05-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
Yep, going by the description of a seam and 2 bolts of the same size, that's what it sounds like to me too.

If me and JOEX are correct about it being the bolts on the parking brake/block-off plate that you loosened, you didn't really goof up as bad as you thought you did, because you accidentally discovered the blown seal that caused your brakes to quit working.

ok... that's what i think i did. but now what do i do? i inspected the brake pads and they were SHOT. almost warn straight through. so i'm going to replace those. but what about this "ORING and seal?" How do I replace those? so am I right in saying that when I did loosen those "wrong" bolts, fluid was not supposed to come out?

BTW - thanks for all your help.

JOEX
05-11-2004, 02:37 PM
It's simple to do but to much typing for me:p

Everything is in the repair manual;)

cdalejef
05-11-2004, 02:57 PM
You will need part numbers (#2) 06451-961-405 and (#29)91358-964-006

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx300ex_93_02/rear_brake_caliper.jpg