PDA

View Full Version : is it bad to boost car

44oEX
05-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Some people say that it can fryed the computer on a car if you boost it with another car. I mean if you get the cable on wrong or make it spark it could be bad but if you do it right can it really harm anything. I always do it and never had any problems but some people really freak out about this stuff. I know you can hook the ground on the frame instead of on the battery and that sould help. Is that true?

Pappy
05-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Todays cars should not be jump started as it does have adverse affects on the computer. It is done a million+ times a day so I doubt anyone can say that yours will be damaged with any certainty.

Turn the charging vehicle off, connect the jumper cables (+ first) then connect the dead car (+ first) allow a minute or so before starting the charging car then allow 10 minutes of time before attempting to start the dead car.

Voltage spikes damage alot of computers so if you can take the battery out and test and charge it would be best...ofcourse without keeping the system from spiking when you reinstall the battery you run the same risk as jump starting it:eek: :D its a no win situation without the correct equipment so keep your fingers crossed....but I have a feeling youll be fine:p

rockwilda1089
05-10-2004, 10:00 AM
if your stranded and you gotta start your car you got no other choice right......? i'd rather risk that than pay for a tow truck

Quad18star
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
I remember we had boosted my mom's Buick that had one of those touch screen computers to operate the A/C and many other things as well it also had the digital speedo and what not .... ended up costing over $2000 to fix the fried computer system ... I've been told by many people that if you're going to be boosting that you should turn your lights on and have them set on highbeam , less of a risk or soemthing ... I dunno !!!

Pappy
05-10-2004, 12:52 PM
we use a small 9volt battery with a plug in for the cigarette lighter that keeps just enough current in the system to prevent voltage spikes. alot of our shops use different equipment to the same effect.

on alot of newer cars, when the battery is removed, the vehicle will have to go back to the dealer to get all sorts of codes and what not reset by the dealer. its part of the anti theft deterent system that causes those issues.

ive even been witness to an airbag deployment when a battery was changed. the old lady sitting in the drivers seat recieved quite a surprise when it went off:eek:

UglyMotha™
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
ive even been witness to an airbag deployment when a battery was changed. the old lady sitting in the drivers seat recieved quite a surprise when it went off:eek:

:eek:.............. now i would have paid to of watched that

Quad18star
05-10-2004, 01:12 PM
LMAO .... go in for a battery ... come out with black eyes due to airbag deployment ..... joys of electronics !!!!!

44oEX
05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
ok thanks

the airbag thing would be pretty funny if your not the one sitting in the drivers seat.

would it be better to hook the ground on the frame or on the battery?

Pappy
05-11-2004, 02:14 PM
the ground should be connected to the battery.

redroost85
05-11-2004, 02:38 PM
When I read the title to this thread I thought you meant 'stealing cars'....that's what boosting cars means around here.:p

I thought this thread was gonna be locked fo sho!:eek: :D

44oEX
05-11-2004, 03:24 PM
yeah I kind of figure I would get a couple looks cause of the title.