PDA

View Full Version : "Slime" for your tires??

250EXChik29
03-19-2002, 08:02 AM
Anybody ever use that Slime stuff for your tires? It says its supposed to go on before your get punctures and then it seals it if you do get a hole? Anyone use it and know if it works like it says it does?? :confused:

02 Red Rider
03-19-2002, 09:04 AM
The only experiences i've had and have seen first hand are BAD!! I Slimed my Recons tires and a friend did his Raptor, and one more did his 300. On each bike at one time or another last year there was a puncture and each time the Slime just sprayed and oozed through the puncture never sealing it. Buy yourself a plug kit with the CO2 cartridges for about $25-$40 and carry it with you on the trails.

Just my .02

Jason

knighttime
03-19-2002, 09:29 AM
When you go fast the slime balls up in your tires and it makes your quad bump around. :eek:

mysticfalcon
03-19-2002, 10:26 AM
I Slimed my Mountain bike tire once and it was the worst thing i ever did. At about 35mph it would make it shaky and at 50 it would be so bad it could almost lift the bike of the ground I never dared to go any faster than that with that crap in my tires

250EXChik29
03-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Glad I didn't waste my $$$$. I was just reading and figured I would ask about it...

Deathbringer
03-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Buy your self some CO2's and some plugs and silicon.... If you do get a hole...us the plugs with a little silicon and pump it back up with the CO2...use the blue silicon it works the best and seems to hold up longer. My brother in law had his blaster for 2 years and the plug never let go or leaked..in fact the one that did leak was the good one..:(

400exRacerX
03-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Have fun getting your tire off your rim after you slimed it. It acts like glue and it sucks, I have experienced it first hand and I will never used slime again.

MOFO
03-20-2002, 06:02 AM
I used to have slime in my old tires. It did work VERY well for thorns and other small holes. I actually put some in AFTER I had a thorn in the tire and it sealed right up. The only downside is what knighttime mentioned....if you read the bottle its only speed rated for a certain speed (I believe 45mph or so).....everytime I would get into 1/2-3/4 throttle in 5th, it was start shaking very bad...it throws the tires out of balance. I'd recommend slime for the bigger/slower 4x4's but not a sport quad.

Get yourself a CO2 repair kit....

Eric

R-Crazy
03-21-2002, 07:31 PM
i put it in mine and love it. i also went 5th gear pinned after i put it in to get it around the tire. i leave the thorn in cuz it acts like a plug but the few rock holes it seals right up. i got the kind with the black rubber chuncks in them.

dave

Braff1
03-21-2002, 10:06 PM
I used Rocky Mount. version of slime in my utility quad and loved it. It beat having to plug my tire everytime I went into the woods. The stock tires on my utility are a 2-ply tire (thin). After going to a 6 ply I havent't had any trouble.

03-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Not to mention the fact that being out of balance will slaughter your bearings

03-23-2002, 07:10 PM
don't ever use slime in your tire. all it does is ball up and winds up leaking again. plus when you go to put new tires on the place you go to will charge you like almost 50 bucks to change 2 of your tires b/c it makes the machine dirty and they have to clean it and then they charge you extra. so if you do it just cut your tires off

03-24-2002, 09:26 PM
dont use slime, i used it once and the hole was too big so i put a rubber plug in and the slime acted like a lubricant and the plug would fall out so i had to take the tire off and clean all the slime out,its not fun cleaning slime off a rim, buy plugs, the hairy kind and use them,they nevr let u down thats all we use and they work, i have 6 ply holeshots and so far ive had good luck but they also costed me some top speed