PDA

View Full Version : New Speed at Glamis

03-19-2002, 06:17 AM
I had to let my Honda 400EX go.

I was tired of it being beat in the power game. I looked at getting a 416-440 kit with Cam, rockers, port, polish, stroked, etc. etc. I talked to Sparks could do a thing until Sept., talked to Trinity, talked to CT, all of them in Ca. I was at Dumont over Pres. Day and a Sparks 505 on alcohal wa there and talked to him. He mentioned that big bores with high compression could crack the case. (He was on his second case already) I got a quote for Elka Shocks and the motor work would be around $4,000. 1,200 for the shocks and the rest in the motor. I added that all up and looked at the Cannondale speed.

I bought #48 from Temecula Motorsports. Broke it in as instructed.

Went to Glamis on 16th of March for the real first ride. Damn, it's fast.

What I like about it:
1. Looks like a Texas Bullfrog.
2. Power, Pulled a piped Banshee, Raptor, DS650 up comp. (started in second dump the clutch and held on)
3. Power, pulled fourth gear wheelies with a lean back and trottle stab.
4. Shocks, Much, much smoother than my 400.
5. Water cooled, rode all day and the fan never turned on.
6. Trottle response, it would just go regardless of what gear or RPM.
7. Fuel injection, I didn't have to re-jet like my riding partners.
8. Front end you can bring up easy, for the whoops.

What I don't like:
1. Engine noise- straight cut gears are louder.
2. Motor access - with the fuel injection I shouldn't need to get in there anyway.
3. Pushed a little with Knobbies front paddles rear.

I'm 38 and don't feel the need to lie about my ride. Quote from the movie HOOK Dustin Hoffman says" Why should I lie, the truth is so much more fun." The Raptor owner I rode with tried it out and liked it ALOT.

I thought I might miss my 400EX, but I don't the new bike is a better ride for me. Each to his own.

Later

Smitty

JustRace
03-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Cool... All that counts is if you like it.

03-19-2002, 02:47 PM
is the spark plug really under the gas tank, i couldnt find it wile checkin one over at the track, i like em, jus battery is in dumb place, so is airfliter, but leaves way for a huge gas tank, so i guess its kool.

Sleeping Catfish
03-19-2002, 03:53 PM
you'll love it. people are starting to buy the cdales.

03-19-2002, 04:50 PM
Post a pic of ur wheeler smitty911. I want to see it. Plus it sounds like it is a pretty sweet ride.

03-19-2002, 05:34 PM
yea, i like em alot, kory ellis's cannible is the bomb.

03-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Yes, the spark plug is under the seat, but with fuel injection and using the correct starting process you shouldn't foul it.

I've got all the plastic off for the first time about 15min of work. That should speed up as I get used to the bike.

Battery is up front, probalbly for weight bias, just guessing, it's easy to get to for my trickle charger.

Started to polish the frame and other parts. I have the front bumper and the rear grab bar done so far. Thats fiive hours of work.

I'll be taking some pictures soon, I'm not a great rider but this machine should inspire confidance in learning to Jump Higher and Further.

Later

Smitty