PDA

View Full Version : Crotch Rockets...

blondie69
05-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Anyone on here have one?

I'm just curious upon how good/reliable they are. Also the price range on them. I know their fast little buggers haha
Because I'm thinking this summer of saving up for a little motorbike or something (need to get my drivers liscence 1st..then bike liscence...but that's all coming here soon...) but if I were to buy one...it wouldn't be until next spring, because I wouldn't *really* want it until that summer when I'm out. I want some type of motor bike mainly because their a bit cheeper then cars for the most part. But I just need some general information on them..

Thanxs all:)

batgeek
05-09-2004, 05:03 PM
how much experience do you have on crotch rockets?

that's the frist thing i gotta ask ya :)

05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by batgeek

I don't care what you say, but I know your talkin dirty.....:eek2: :eek2:

blondie69
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM

lmfao...I don't know what way I should take this question:eek2:

batgeek
05-09-2004, 05:18 PM
hey now!

i ask a innocent question and y'all label me like i'm a sex fiend :D

blondie69 is a nice girl and all, but i dunno what the laws in Canada are, but i dun wanna goto jail :D

blondie69
05-09-2004, 05:21 PM
hey now!

i ask a innocent question and y'all label me like i'm a sex fiend :D

blondie69 is a nice girl and all, but i dunno what the laws in Canada are, but i dun wanna goto jail :D

Labeled? Ya got it written all over your forehead..!!:blah:

Bretmd94
05-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Both my roomates have ones (04 GSXR600, and 03 GSXR750). I would have one but i have to pay off my 450r before I can afford the insurance.

Thats really your main worry. The price of insurance. Its a lot higher on the superbikes compared to the more cruiser style ones.

Also, please take a training class to get your endorsement. Its very easy, and it will teach you more than enough to start riding. The insurance companies will also give you a discount for taking the class also. Here the classes are done through the community colleges.

Take the class or bad things WILL happen. I have a friend that for an R6 2 years ago. The first day he got it he wrecked on the freeway going 95. He died 4 times and was in a coma for a month. He's recovered now, but the head damage he took changed him forever.

Another guy my age died 2 days ago on a brand new bike in town. He wasnt looking forward or something and rearended a truck.

In other words, you have to be very serious about it if you plan to get one. Expect to lay your first bike down. My roomates got brand new bikes as a first bike (stupid). They havent layed them down yet, but its coming.

blondie69
05-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Thank you so much for the info:D

I never knew there were courses available to teach ya stuff:confused: That would be a really good idea..!! If I can find any available...I will sure as hell take them. That'd be my main concern...is getting hurt. I'm not a huge speed demon...but it's not always the speed that kills. Also since I'm not really used to bikes...I'd buy some cheep dirtbike just to get used to them...then sell it off later on.

Thanxs again:)

bigfoot300ex
05-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
He died 4 times and was in a coma for a month. He's recovered now, but the head damage he took changed him forever.

how did he die 4 times but still recover??:huh

05-09-2004, 05:48 PM
yah..your dirtbike plan sounds like a good idea...i know here they offer the classes that teach you a bunch of stuff but I dont know if they do in canada....

Willfulone
05-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Here is my 02 cents, which falls directly into the "do as I say, not as I do" catagory.

If you have not started to ride street bikes, don't start now.

1) It's like an addiction, once you start, you can't stop.
2) It's very dangerous. I been in 2 good wrecks, both not my fault, both times I said I'd never ride again on the street. In the 15 years I've been riding, I've lost 2 friends, and had countless people I know get seriously hurt.
3) It's not as cheep as you think.

Know this, you will fall, you will crash, I just hope you are as lucky as I have been.

Just bail on it, it's a bad idea

peace
Willfulone

blondie69
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
yah..your dirtbike plan sounds like a good idea...i know here they offer the classes that teach you a bunch of stuff but I dont know if they do in canada....

I hope they do. I'll talk to the DMV when the time comes see if they offer any classes/courses for motorcycles...hey ya never know!:) I know they offer defensive driving and all these courses when you 1st get your real liscence..so maybe the same for bikes? If not...I'll find someone who has a motorbike and get them to maybe step me a long a lil some sunday afternoon in like a parkin lot:) :p

LTandRaptorider
05-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by blondie69
I hope they do. I'll talk to the DMV when the time comes see if they offer any classes/courses for motorcycles...hey ya never know!:) I know they offer defensive driving and all these courses when you 1st get your real liscence..so maybe the same for bikes? If not...I'll find someone who has a motorbike and get them to maybe step me a long a lil some sunday afternoon in like a parkin lot:) :p

runs out to buy bike!:devil:

j/k... If you get a bike, be careful on it! Definitely don't want to start out on a crotch rocket though!;) It might not be bad advice that you not get a bike. Too many people in a hurry on the road, and the don't watch out for, or care about bikes.

chucked
05-09-2004, 06:32 PM
When I was at the hospital for my broken ankle, the doctor told me something like 1/3 of all motorcyclists are in a life threatening accident. One of my riding buddies was in an accident 2 years ago, he was in a coma for a month and it made him all messed up (the best word for it is stupid I guess) one of his old riding buddies just died a few weeks ago. One of my aunts riding buddies died last summer (he was cut off and he went down and was run over) My neighbor races street bikes, he has a kawi 650 special, 636, A top gas bike (7.2 sec) and a funny bike (6.8 sec). and he refuses to ride one on the street because he says its too dangerous. Tell me this doesnt mean something. He has a motorcycle shop and he has had bikes in there where the driver crashed and died, and the wife/husband/sister/brother.... wants to have the bike fixed to sell it. Hes had a few customers pick up their bikes on friday and then be dead on monday (nothing hes ever responsible for though)

but yea if you want to start out go buy something old. my boss just bought a '90 kawi zephyr 550 or something. He only paid 1500 for it and it had like 10k miles on it. Its a very nice bike, an excellent starters bike imo

blondie69
05-09-2004, 06:43 PM
yea, that ratio that u gave me (1/3 riders) I'm aware of that...dad has told me numerous stories about all of his friends that he used to have...but doesn't no more, due to quads, sleds, bikes (both motor and dirt) and any other vechile's like that. That's the type of thing that does make me think...I still got like another year to decide...I'm still gonna work my arse off this summer for some form of transportation of my own..weather its a bike, car, truck, jeep, whatever. I'd prefer a bike..but I may change my mind still. I'm jus researching some right now.
I know I'd like to get my bike liscence tho, just because It's probably not the worst thing to have. Can't do no harm. But with the liscence...I'd needa have a bike for a small period of time, doesn't nescessilarly have to be a crotch rocket...just something that's good lookin, doesn't have to be fast.

chucked
05-09-2004, 07:21 PM
yea, that ratio that u gave me (1/3 riders) I'm aware of that...dad has told me numerous stories about all of his friends that he used to have...but doesn't no more, due to quads, sleds, bikes (both motor and dirt) and any other vechile's like that. That's the type of thing that does make me think...I still got like another year to decide...I'm still gonna work my arse off this summer for some form of transportation of my own..weather its a bike, car, truck, jeep, whatever. I'd prefer a bike..but I may change my mind still. I'm jus researching some right now.
I know I'd like to get my bike liscence tho, just because It's probably not the worst thing to have. Can't do no harm. But with the liscence...I'd needa have a bike for a small period of time, doesn't nescessilarly have to be a crotch rocket...just something that's good lookin, doesn't have to be fast.

does it ever snow in canadia?

AC 400 ex 02
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
i ride an 03 gixxer, and no doubt they are dangerous, my friend avoided a dear last weekend and totaled his bike, broke his wrist, got some serious rode rash cuz he wasnt wearing a jacket, ive been riding for a month now and ive had some close calls cuz i wasnt paying attention, riding bikes isnt for everyone, i bought my bike off a guy that was scared out of his mind and didnt wanna ride it anymore, i love it, i love the power, but you gotta hav the right set of mind to ride, when im having an off day i tend to stay away from riding my bike, i guess what im trying to say, is yeah its dangerous, yeah its fun, its a love, and yeah dangerous

blondie69
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Yes haha:blah:

FYI...I wasn't planning on driving it in the winter...or when its raining:eek2:

brif
05-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I had a crotch rocket a few years back and got rid of it, I already have too many hobbies. It was fun, but as others have said I too had several close calls and none of them were my fault. Both occasions were people who weren't paying attention or just didn't see me.
I wouldn't buy a bike as a substitute for having an auto. I always looked at having a bike as a toy. Now before some one jumps me here I realize alot of people ride for fun, to work or what ever but if it was going to be your only from of transportation I'd buy a truck/ car. A bike is alittle too narrowly focased.........Good luck......

Bretmd94
05-09-2004, 08:14 PM
So the two roomates that i told you about....

They just hit each other on their bikes this afternoon. The one in front decided on turning onto a street rather quickly, and the other was already doing a wheelie. The one in back couldnt stop in time and hit the other pretty hard.

They are both okay, just some nasty road rash on both of them.

The bike in front (gsxr750) cracked the case and is all scratched up. The (gsxr600) is pretty messed up cosmetically, but no major damage to the frame or motor. the plastic on both is done though.

They were no cars around (they would never to wheelies with any traffic around) but they odviously werent being carefull enough.

Oh yeah, and the kid that died several times. When i say that i mean that his heart actually stopped beating and they had to bring him back with those electric shock things.

I believe the class to take is like 94$. And again well worth it. I took it and i had never ridden a bike befor at all. After I felt very confident about riding one on the street. They provided their own bikes for it but you can use your own if you want.

chucked
05-09-2004, 08:20 PM
My aunt took a safety course, in a part of it they would roll basketballs at you.

blondie69
05-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by chucked
My aunt took a safety course, in a part of it they would roll basketballs at you.

:eek2: :eek2:

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 09:46 PM

I know I'd like to get my bike liscence tho, just because It's probably not the worst thing to have.

You're right, I could think of many worse things to have, like syphilis for example!

Ah but anyway, I'm actually going to be trading in my quad for a streetbike here in a few months. Was between upgrading to a 450 or getting a streetbike, and I've gotta go with the bike. I'm moving to San Diego for college in August which is probably one of the worst places to have one. I've heard all of the statistics and risks, but I still want one more than anything. I've had family members die as well on motorcycles, which is the reason I have a quad right now and not a dirtbike.

batgeek
05-09-2004, 09:47 PM
actually, San Diego is a relatively bike friendly city :D

Quad18star
05-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Get a lower CC street bike like a 600 cc or soemthing . I know my next BIG purchase is gunna be a crotch rocket !!!

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 09:50 PM
actually, San Diego is a relatively bike friendly city :D

Bike friendly in terms of parking perhaps, I actually saw quite a few "motorcycle parking lots" sectioned off at certain places. As far as traffic and crazy people, I've heard a lot of stories. I know on the way in and out of San Diego there were guys flying between two cars in slow lanes of traffic, crazy.

batgeek
05-09-2004, 09:53 PM
ahhhh lane sharing...i miss that :(

but the only time it is authorized is during traffic jams. what those guys were doing was very illegal.

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 09:59 PM
It's legal for bikes to ride between two lanes during traffic jams? What is considered a traffic jam, a dead stop? There were pleny of times when traffic was at a dead stop, and bike after bike would cruise through. That wasn't too bad, but then you've got the guys going 90+ between thick San Diego/ LA traffic that is cruising at a steady speed of atleast 80, in 6 lanes! Man, could only imagine if somebody switched lanes, cut off a bike, and all hell breaks loose.

batgeek
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
yeah, lane sharing on the highway is legal in San Diego Co.

traffic jam would be considered any stop and go traffic.

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Didn't know that bat, thanks for the info.

JLanphear
05-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Blondie...see my post on quadfmx.com .

Anyway, does anybody here "stunt" their bike? That is the primary reason I bought my zx6r....Just curious if anybody else is into it.

Later.

-Josh

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 11:02 PM
JLan, gimme a couple months. Stuntlife is my second home ;)

RMX500
05-09-2004, 11:07 PM
forums.onedownfiveup.com

great group of guys and gals from CT that ride. they know just about everything about crotch rockets.

i know a good share myself.

if you wanna learn to ride these your best bet is a used honda 600 or a yami FZR. they still have kick but won't kill you.

once you're skilled it's best to move up to the newer 600 class such as CBR F4i or RR / ZX6 kawi's, or a Yami R6.

I'd stay away from litre bikes like the 10R/12R, 1000RR, R1, 999, GSXR1k / 1300k etc... until you've gotten to a point where you can put the knee down really good.

JLanphear
05-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
JLan, gimme a couple months. Stuntlife is my second home ;)

That's what I like to hear....hehehehe. I think I'm going to put the whole quad thing on hold and focus on the streetbike.

RMX500
05-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by JLanphear

Anyway, does anybody here "stunt" their bike? That is the primary reason I bought my zx6r....Just curious if anybody else is into it.

Later.

-Josh

I have a CBR600 that I stunt the crap out of. has great stuff on it like intuitive sliders and such so if i lay it down it'll live.

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 11:13 PM
That's what I like to hear....hehehehe. I think I'm going to put the whole quad thing on hold and focus on the streetbike.

J, as much as I love riding the dunes and offroad I am gonna focus on street too. Gonna pick up a F4i as soon as I find a good deal down South.

RMX500
05-09-2004, 11:15 PM
J, as much as I love riding the dunes and offroad I am gonna focus on street too. Gonna pick up a F4i as soon as I find a good deal down South.

good pick. I had an F3 before the RR

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I've heard good things about the F3 but hesitate to get one because of the weight. I'm a short guy so I don't want to start off on something too heavy. How's the RR for stunting? I've heard only good things about the F4i so I'd like to get one of those if money permits, otherwise there are always cheap F3s for sale.

RMX500
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
i have no idea what your experience is on a bike but unless you've been riding dirtbikes since you were little and have been on a streeter since 16 and riding a lot I don't think it'd be smart to hop on an RR.

I've seen too many kids mess themselves up after watching biker boyz and going out and being a hero. bikes don't look good wrapped around trees and neither do kids.

but if you are a very strong rider I do suggest the RR for stunting. Play with the gearing a small bit and they are perfect. easy wheelies and great response. tag on a micron or jardine can and you'll get a good perk too.

K2Snow
05-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Wasn't planning on going with the RR, definitely going to go with the F4i without a doubt. I have a bit of experience with dirtbikes, that's about it for 2 wheels.

rockwilda1089
05-10-2004, 10:15 AM
GSXR ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmokinEX
05-10-2004, 01:48 PM
i'm waiting for the bank to approve a loan now :blah: i can't wait , i've wanted once since as long as i can remember
im goin witha cbr600 for sure

AC 400 ex 02
05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
the 600rr is far better than the f4i, its a gp bike with directionals, some like it and some dont because it so agressive, i was going to get the rr, but i got my gixxer, and i love it, both are damn good 600's

Regular_Joe
05-10-2004, 05:25 PM
IMO if your going to stunt you want the F4i and not the RR. The RR is more race oriented and specifically has its weight distributed helping keep the front end down (read hindering wheelies for maximum acceleration).

As a newbie I wouldn't go w/ a Supersport bike. Way too much bike for a beginner. If you want the sportbike look then go w/ a GS500F. Its a nice size bike for a beginner.

I have a 03 F4i btw.

blondie69
05-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanxs for the info all:D :)
And FYI...I wasn't plannin on stuntin it..I jus want something to get me from point A to B:p

Willfulone
05-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Damn...I'm going riding...

Peace
Willfulone

rider250ex
05-10-2004, 06:05 PM
im sellin the r and either gettin the f4i or a zx6r...not really sure yet

kwatts400
05-11-2004, 02:03 AM
I traded in my 2000 f4 to get my 450r. Maybe I'll get another in a few years (prob an r1), but it just seems much safer to me to stay on the dirt for now. I've had more then enough close calls on it to say the least. People just don't pay a d@mn bit of attention while driving in cars these days. I once had a lady pull into my lane at an intersection while looking at her passenger seat and not the oncoming traffic. I also had some punk cross 4 lanes of traffic in front of me to get in a turn lane, IN THE RAIN. It made me pretty bitter but also a better rider as well. O well, one day I'll get back on one.

xr50layke
05-11-2004, 06:42 AM
leave going fast to offroading, id rather have bruises than, road rash and broken bones. id rather you not get one, too dangerous.

K2Snow
05-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Those with motorcycle experience, how hard is it to make rapid stops on a streetbike? I notice when riding on pavement with the quad, the rear wheels will lock up in a second and the quad will slide.

titianheel
05-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I have never road a street bike or motorcycle but i really want a crotch rocket. How easy is it to take off, round curves, stop and other things?

chucked
05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by titianheel
I have never road a street bike or motorcycle but i really want a crotch rocket. How easy is it to take off, round curves, stop and other things?

its hard. so hard its impossible

titianheel
05-11-2004, 07:07 PM
will someone who is not a jackass reply

chucked
05-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by titianheel
will someone who is not a jackass reply

well what do you expect, what kind of question was that????

titianheel
05-11-2004, 07:21 PM
i have never rode a street bike so i thought people who have could anwsers it without being a jackass

Regular_Joe
05-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Honestly streetbikes are harder than most people imagine. I have an F4i and have been riding for about 10 yrs now. This is the first supersport bike I have had. Its a trip let me tell ya.

First off the bike can stop on a dime given the right conditions. On a straight clean road no problem. The issue comes when your in a corner and need to brake. Your just asking for a lowside or highside if you brake in a corner. Likewise if you get in gravel while braking .... your going to be in trouble big time.

Corners are another thing. Like at a stoplight. Its so dangerous. Other cars, gravel, manholes, water shutoffs, those fat white crosswalk lines are so ****ing slippery. Don't goose it on those or your going down.

The other thing is the throttle is so responsive. You really can't make much adjustment while turning or your going down. Give it more gas and the back end will most likely kick out. Less gas and the front end is diving down and your going to follow it.

Honestly I don't think people realize how much power even the "little" 600's have. Most 600's do about 70 @ redline in first gear. The 1000cc ones do in the 90's in first gear and will power wheelie anywhere under 100mph in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear.

IMO driving bike is harder than driving a car, and no one started out driving in a Ferrari. Do yourself a favor and get something like the Suzuki GS500F for a first bike. Ride it for a year or two, then maybe get a 600. You'll be 100x a better rider for it and probably be living to ride longer than 2 or 3 years.

Lgnrider424
05-11-2004, 10:42 PM

Later.

-Josh

i am kinda starting too but i just got it 4 weeks ago or so, thay are dangorous but if you respect it there not bad. in my 4 weeks i havnet had one close call yet(knock on wood) but i live in a town of about 8,000 so i worry more about animals then other f*ck ups, just alwasy wear a helmet. i havent gone out w/out it yet. im not ready to die b\c some drunk or ignorant fool pulls out in front of me

Lgnrider424
05-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Those with motorcycle experience, how hard is it to make rapid stops on a streetbike? I notice when riding on pavement with the quad, the rear wheels will lock up in a second and the quad will slide.

its not hard, just use alot more front brake then back and use them at the same time, just like on a quad. i think its something like 65% front 45% back(but dont quote me, its been a while since my test)

JForestZ34
05-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Save your money and buy a real bike. Get a HARLEY.

James

Juggalo
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Save your money and buy a real bike. Get a HARLEY.

James

riiiiiight :rolleyes:

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 06:54 AM
i already have a harley. its composed of a bmx bike and cards taped to the swingarm to hit the spokes :p

i think ill start on a 500 too. you guys really make 600's seem ..... like ..... warp speed. your sure the 600s redline at 70?! i thought it was like... 30 max.

someone clarify.

JLanphear
05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by xr50layke
i think ill start on a 500 too. you guys really make 600's seem ..... like ..... warp speed. your sure the 600s redline at 70?! i thought it was like... 30 max.

someone clarify.

Yup, right around 70mph.....

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Yup, right around 70mph.....
holy crap and i thought you meant kilometers!

that means, i could be in first gear, forever and ever i dont go over 70

JLanphear
05-13-2004, 08:00 AM
holy crap and i thought you meant kilometers!

that means, i could be in first gear, forever and ever i dont go over 70

Hahahah...not the best plan I've ever heard, but technically I guess you could :D

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 08:03 AM
why wouldnt you if your only going like fifty? to drop rpm's?

JLanphear
05-13-2004, 08:06 AM
why wouldnt you if your only going like fifty? to drop rpm's?

yeah bro, you wouldn't want the thing taching 7 grand all the time

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 08:08 AM
kawi has 250 rockets lol, those must be, kinda fast. id get one of those just to boot around on, i dont want to kill myself. id rather have handling than power/speed

Regular_Joe
05-13-2004, 08:21 AM
If you want a good read look at this site.

The list ranks the most popular cars and bikes in order of quickness. Basically the 1000cc bikes top the list, followed by the 600cc bikes. There isn't a car that can touch them. The McLaren F1 and Porsche 911 get the closest.

They don't have the GS500F listed, but the GS500E is the same bike just without all the pretty plastic. Hell even the "slow" and "wimpy" GS500 ties the 1/4 mile time of 14.2 seconds w/ the Ferarri Testerosa, Honda NSX, and Subaru Imprezza Turbo. Not too shabby.

1/4 mile times ..... (cars and bikes) (http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals.htm)

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
never was really interested in 1/4 mile times...now i want one of these http://powersports.honda.com/images/model/model_images/atvs/2004/FourTrax_Foreman_S_Red.jpg

trick450r
05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
I'll kick all yur asses on my mountain bike, thats all the bike i need, no seriously if you want a starter bike i would buy a kawi ninja 250!

WEEZIL
05-13-2004, 01:18 PM
GSXR IS RIIIGHTTT !!!!!
BUSA!!!

Regular_Joe
05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I have a Ninja 250 along w/ my F4i. Personally the 250 is a good starter bike in most ways. The thing I don't care for is the front tends to dive under heavy braking. The shocks are definately lacking in performance. Not good for a newbie. I would think the GS500 would be better for that reason alone ....

Hammer trx450r
05-13-2004, 02:34 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~hammer1/1990_suzuki_gsxr1100r.htm

any one want to buy it?

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 03:52 PM
coming home from school a yellow zx600 passed us going like 120mph, and a truck was coming the other way and he missed it by like a meter im like whooaaa....looked like he was going warp speed, i dont think iv ever seen anything get that much distance on me in another car before. he was GONE.