PDA

View Full Version : Can't get swingarm off on 400EX?

Thump_It
05-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, I can't get the Bolt/Pin that the swingarm pivots from the frame out? Is there a trick or am I just dumb?

Tommy 17
05-09-2004, 03:08 PM
have u greased it ever???

if not then get out the torch or a cuttin wheel and cut it out... the bolt is froze... talk to rico he knows exactly how to do it...

Thump_It
05-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Think and air wrench will get it out?

cdalejef
05-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
Think and air wrench will get it out? Probally not, once their froze, they are almost impossible to get out except with a torch or plasma cutter.

05-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Probally not, once their froze, they are almost impossible to get out except with a torch or plasma cutter.

We know all about it don't we Jeffy...:o

cdalejef
05-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Rico
We know all about it don't we Jeffy...:o All to well

Rescueme
05-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Had the same situation just a month ago. Tried everything, WD40, PB, Sledge. I too, was commited to getting that dern thing outta there. Finally resorted to this:
1. Put quad on side.
2. Rent a 60 LBS. electric jack hammer.
3. Go at it.

This worked for me. Within a minute it started to drive the bolt through. As soon as the pivot bolt is flush with the frame you will need to get another bolt (slightly less in diameter than the pivot bolt), drill a starter hole in the head so you can put the point of the jack hammer in it, and continue to drive it through.If this doesn't work the next step is to cut it off. The only problem with that is you still have all the pieces that are stuck still in the swing arm. Good luck!

y2k400ex
05-10-2004, 11:51 AM
You can easy get to it and cut it with a die grinder once you take off the sub frame and the shock. Mine was frozen in the bushing on the right side I had to cut the spacer and then drill off the bolt head. It wasn’t that hard at all if you have the tools to do it. I'll post some pics later.

seven
05-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I now the 250R was prone to this but I didnt know the 400 was also. So I went out and put some never seize on my bolt. There was a little rust starting but the bolt came out fine.

cdalejef
05-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by seven
I now the 250R was prone to this but I didnt know the 400 was also. So I went out and put some never seize on my bolt. There was a little rust starting but the bolt came out fine. Yep, recommend doing this once every 4 months. Especially if you powerwash.

Juggalo
05-10-2004, 07:15 PM
have fun gettin her out..its a real chore

keepitpinned
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
is their a certain way to get the bolt out?im going to be doing this so i dont have have troubles you guys have. also wut is never seize?

Thump_It
05-10-2004, 09:08 PM
If you have the 400EX manual, it tells you how to take the swingarm off. Basically take the nut off the bolt, support the swingarm then drive the bolt out, be careful to not ruin the threads.

Never seize, go to you local hardware store and ask them at the counter, they will show you. Never seize puts a compound on your threads before insertion and keeps the bolt from getting locked.......hope that helps.

keepitpinned
05-11-2004, 06:37 AM
thank you

IL400EX
05-12-2004, 07:19 AM
After reading this Forum, I knew it would be a challenge to get this bolt out, bought mine in the fall of 98 and its never been out. I ordered a new bolt before I even started and began soaking it with wd-40 for a week. With new bolt and bearings in hand, I confidently began to wack the bolt with a 2lb sledge. After about 15 minutes and no movement what-so-ever. I pulled the torch out, heated up everthing, and began another relentless assualt on the bolt. Still nothing, I reheated again, broke out the 8lb sledge, with full confidence the bolt was coming out or someting was breaking, nothing. Decided to grind the head off of the bolt so I could attempt to drive it out the other way. Reheated, beat the live heck out of the bolt, nothing.

I like the electric jackhammer idea, but I think next I'm going to remove my subframe and cut the bolt in pieces and see what happens.

y2k400ex
05-12-2004, 08:13 AM
if you start heating things up dont forget to get new seals for the swingarm.

You can take die grinder with a cut of wheel and cut the spacer, you have to cut then turn the bolt to get all the way through it.

05-12-2004, 08:38 AM
:(

Pappy
05-12-2004, 08:41 AM
if im not mistaken, the Quadshop was one of the first to offer a greasable swing arm bolt that should prevent this. Now other companies have made thier own but atleast they are available

Thump_It
05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
How much is the bolt and where can I find it?........the greaseable one from quadshop.

cals400ex
05-12-2004, 12:17 PM

he made a reply to this thread itself. just send him a pm

IL400EX
05-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by y2k400ex
if you start heating things up dont forget to get new seals for the swingarm.

You can take die grinder with a cut of wheel and cut the spacer, you have to cut then turn the bolt to get all the way through it.

Yeah, I take it you've been down this road before. They burn quite well. I had a couple hours off work this afternoon because I had to work tonight, and I couldn't resist wearing my arm out on that bolt again. Will have to get it out this weekend. Also going to check out the greasable bolt...

Bruno
05-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Take a sawzaw and cut the bolt on each side of the swing arm and then you will be able to pull the swingarm off and get the bolt the rest of the way out.

05-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Bruno
Take a sawzaw and cut the bolt on each side of the swing arm and then you will be able to pull the swingarm off and get the bolt the rest of the way out.

Negative.

You can do that on a 250R but you can't on a 400ex because the bolt runs thru the back of the motor. It has to be cut on the outside and between the swingarm and back of the motor. 4 cuts total have to be made.

THe greaseable bolt is the ticket to never having this issue again. Jeff is a got dam genius...:eek2:

TCracin440ex
05-13-2004, 07:32 PM
never had that problem when taking my 400ex apart for powdercoat...took the nut off beat the bolt back till it was flush with the frame...then got a bolt and beat it the rest of the way out....went back in without a problem also...and i use a pressure washer...it was also my first time taking it apart...guess im a lucky 1

TC426EX
05-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Have fun man, that bolt is a *****. That thing will bring you to your knees man, get the torch or jackhammer and GO AT IT!!!!!!!!

Paul
-TC426EX with everything
check it out on douggust.com

IL400EX
05-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Finally got it out, just to find out the swingarm was already damaged from bearing failure.

For anyone else that cares. Here's what it took to get my bolt out.

Took a die grinder to the bolt and sleeve on the right side of the engine. This leaves about 1/2'' gap.

Took a side grinder to the head of the bolt then knocked it into the swing arm.

Right side FREE

Then used a die grinder with a cut off wheel as shown in the pictures posted before. Be careful here, cut as close to the frame as possible or you'll lose about 1/16'' off your swing arm trust me!

I was able to pry the swingarm to the left far enough to let me access the bolt by the engine. Since the sleeve is hardened, the sawzall wouldn't touch it. I was able use a chisel and drive the sleeve back just enough to let me get at the bolt.

Left side FREE
Swing arm out.

Now, I'm dealing with a bolt stuck in the engine. I had to put some wedges in on both side of the motor to hold it steady while I beat on the bolt. The motor moved to much else wise. After much heating, cussing and beating(thought I would crack the case before this thing came out) the bolt is out.

Came to work ordered new swingarm. This little bearing job blew up on me.

xr50layke
05-17-2004, 11:36 AM
why do you have to take it out anyways? for the bearings?

Flip_SideEX
05-17-2004, 08:03 PM
I remember on mine we had to take a drill to the collar and pump some grease in there after heated it about 10 times. But since everything is now in, just waiting on a few more parts to make my 400 "mechanically ready."And remember to load the thing with grease and take it out like every 3 months.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 09:54 PM
i tried to get mine off today. lets just say it was a no-go.

KASCHAK
05-19-2004, 09:18 PM
when i had to take mine out ( take it out to put on a new swing arm - take the motor out - bearings - ) mine was to take out the motor.. just put an impact wrench on one side and hit it with a hammer on the other and it came right out.. when i put it back in put tones of no seize or whatever its called my dad did that.

hondarider2006
07-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by KASCHAK
when i had to take mine out ( take it out to put on a new swing arm - take the motor out - bearings - ) mine was to take out the motor.. just put an impact wrench on one side and hit it with a hammer on the other and it came right out.. when i put it back in put tones of no seize or whatever its called my dad did that.

I treid that and it didn't work...I believe I am gonna have to cut mine out:(

the-ex-files
07-10-2004, 12:28 PM
So that is the bolt(in Rico's pic), that everyone has problems with? Since mine is an 03, would be a good idea to take it out and grease it, so I don't have problems down the road?

Chanman420q
07-10-2004, 12:46 PM
hells yes take it out NOW. if ida known this was a problem ida done in the day i got the quad. i tried to take my swing arm off last night and couldnt get the bolt out, and now the nut wont go back on, but dont see a reason to have it now..... not like its going anywhere:o

markk
07-10-2004, 01:31 PM
We have used and impact wrench, and a tourch to heat it up and beat it back out with a BFH (big Freakin Hammer) and then we the bolt started it way threw the swingarm, we used and 400ex tire rod, and beat it the rest of the way threw, Just take your time and got get mad and beat the crap outa stuff!!!!

user101
07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
the grease-able swingarm bolt is the greatest idea in the world..i saw Jeff and Rico post something about it so i modified mine by drilling 3 or 4 holes in it, plugging one end and puttin a zerk fitting on the other.

250rmike
07-10-2004, 07:17 PM
ive had to take it out on my r twice now. didnt even ride the r for a year or so just started it acasionally but the 2nd time i tried to take it out i had to take a sledge with about a 3ft handle and a piece of wood to the bolt and just started swinging after about 30mins it slowly started to move wore me out im glad i saved this for last

chucked
07-11-2004, 09:26 AM
my buddy used a 1" impact gun from my work with a 1"-3/4" and a 3/4"-1/2" adapter for the socket (everything was snap-on). I think the impact gun can put out about a 1000 ft/lb's. we had to use a 1/2" air hose.

jwisniew
07-12-2004, 10:33 AM
The 300ex has the same problem. When my dad and i took mine out we torched it and hit it wit the sledge hammer and it some how budged. When we put the needle bearings in we heated the swingarm and put the bearings in the freezer.

Juggalo
07-12-2004, 01:14 PM
i had to cut mine out and it sucked. but now i have a billet stainless steel bolt that i dont expect to have any problems with and i will definately be greasing that sucker!

ill_lil_romey
07-12-2004, 03:56 PM
I was searching for every means possible to remove my pivot bolt also, then put the plasma to it and she came right out. The weak stock bolt was actually bent a little.

cals400ex
07-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
I was searching for every means possible to remove my pivot bolt also, then put the plasma to it and she came right out. The weak stock bolt was actually bent a little.

so was mine, from me beating on it. :D

tecate87
04-28-2005, 03:38 PM
does the bushings inthe back of the motor for the swingarm come out only 1 way or how do they come out.
I had to cut off the swingarm bolt now the bolt and bushing are stuck in the cases.
Whats the best way to get them out ?