PDA

View Full Version : Need some car help

BlazingYamahaYz
05-09-2004, 02:02 PM
hey guys-

Im 15, and im looking at buying a car soon....I will have about 3 grand to spend, and i want a car that is manual, preferably 2-door, 4 or 6 cylinder...since gas prices are so high...what would be a good first car that fits those descriptions? domestic or import? i wouldnt be driving more than a couple hundred miles every week or two...any help would be appreciated....

rockwilda1089
05-09-2004, 02:17 PM
a little civic isn't bad, especially if you can find a crx or del sol thats in good shape for around that much. they are a reliable starter car for everyone, the del sol's got the targa top too and you dont gotta worry about becoming a taxi w/ either fo those cars, either way you should stick with an import while you get used to learning, they take a beating a little better than american cars

zephead400ex
05-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Maybe something like a Civic like ^ said. My gf's mom has an '03 Civic, she is getting 32mpg.

BlazingYamahaYz
05-09-2004, 02:50 PM
thats kinda what i was thinking...thanks guys...are there any car classifieds that you guys know of other than autotrader.com or ebay or traderonline? my friend has a 92 accord, and he gets about 20mpg, but has some hard shifting, he said all hondas have this, is this true? i guess that wouldnt matter if i had a manual....any other cars like the civic i should check out?

diesel-mech
05-09-2004, 04:37 PM
ITS YOUR FIRST CAR!!!!!
This is the car that you will remember all your life! DO IT RIGHT!!
Go classic muscle car, or something that you can look back later and thing "man that was an awsome car" My 1st car was a triple black 1974 dodge challenger. I still smile when I think of it. My best freind had an OMNI. He is never thrilled about his first car.
If you can't afford the gas than sell it after a while. Just don't ruin an oppertunity that only happens once. you only ever get one first car!

LTandRaptorider
05-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
ITS YOUR FIRST CAR!!!!!
Go classic muscle car, or something that you can look back later and thing "man that was an awsome car" My 1st car was a triple black 1974 dodge challenger. I still smile when I think of it. My best freind had an OMNI. He is never thrilled about his first car.
If you can't afford the gas than sell it after a while. Just don't ruin an oppertunity that only happens once. you only ever get one first car!

My first car was an Omni O24! :o :o I was looking for gas mileage... and hatchback!:devil:

ghak99
05-09-2004, 05:36 PM
ITS YOUR FIRST CAR!!!!!

I completely agree! I am going to tell you to take a good look at an 87-93 mustang with a 5 speed and 5.0. I currently drive one and it is the best vehicle I have bought so far. I gave 2000 for it, with good paint and nothing mechanically wrong with it, gave it a tune up and now get 19/20 mpg and if on the interstate(sp?) 24mpg. Plus it is still a quick car in stock form, and will run down the track faster than most newer auto or 5 speed stock mustangs. These cars are well know for going 250,000 plus easily even when you run the hell out of them!

I personally would NEVER own one of the "imports", american muscle any day!

exatak199
05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
I would get a eagle talon tsi turbo my mom and dad have one and it's never been beat by any 5L mustang (rustang:D) quick little cars and good on gas(35mpg) and easy to modd too:eek:

ghak99
05-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by exatak199
I would get a eagle talon tsi turbo my mom and dad have one and it's never been beat by any 5L mustang (rustang:D) quick little cars and good on gas(35mpg) and easy to modd too:eek:

Well I hate to steal this kids thread, but since it is your mom and dad's car I highly doubt it has been to the track too many times to see just how "quick" it really is. And there is no such thing as easy to mod! Let me drive that car for a week or 2 and I will give it the beating I give my stang every day of the week and you will get a nice pile of parts back! If he wants something cheap that he can drive the hell out of with very little maintanence, then he does not want an eagle talon! I have seen more than one head be pulled off of a talon and have every valve in it bent over, needless to say I laughed both times.

OK, I have vented my feelings on the talon and gave the kid my 2 cents. Good Luck with what ever you buy! ;)

2001400ex
05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
If you're serious about wanting a four or six cylinder. A Civic is a good choice. You can find the older 80's Mustangs, they're four cylinders. There's alot of choices to be honest with you...older Eclipses/Talons/Lasers are good cars too.

markeg192
05-09-2004, 08:28 PM
A $3000 Civic in these fast and furious times? I bet that would be nice..........Look for something affordable to buy,drive and insure. Then your money can be spent on something better than speeding tickets and repairs.

Woodsrider
05-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Dont do an accord:rolleyes: thats your momma's car. Get an 88-93 Integra. You can fix just about anything on it in under an hour and a half. They get 30+mpg and are cheap to get ahold of. A much better choice than a civic for about the same amount of cash.

As far as the whole first car memories deal.... Its what you make of it. LOL my first car was a 1967 plymouth furyIII. It was an old tank retired cop car. It wasnt fast, or shiny but it had a big back seat and got good milage at 15mpg. That car went to more concerts, and drive-in movies than any of the Muscle cars in our class. And after I graduated and came back from the military I ran it in the demolition derby at the state fair:devil: All I have left is the rear veiw mirror and a lot of fond memories.

diesel-mech
05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Bad news!!
Check out your insurance cost before you go to wild on any car!!!!!!

bansheeguy77
05-09-2004, 08:35 PM
get a volkswagen like a jetta or golf. eclipse gs-t's are quick they 0-60 in like 6.5 but mustang v8's are still faster. make sure the car u get is the one you want...dont be like me and jump on the first car available and be stuck with a lil cavalier 2.2

hondafox440
05-09-2004, 08:38 PM

Uh huh. My sister has an Eclipse GST (same exact thing) and it is slow as hell.

CowsBitePeople
05-10-2004, 05:15 AM
deffinetly get something extremely nice!! im workin on makin my car good which is in my sig....

rockwilda1089
05-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Do you guys read what your writing!?!?!? YES IT IS HIS FIRST CAR!!!!! and you want him to snag one of these gas guzzlers??? sure i;d love one too but it is his first car, i know a ton of people who picked up a camaro or a stang for their first car and where is it now....? junked cuz they either crashed or beat on it, trust me, hold off on these muscle cars, for my first car i almost bought a 72' firebird formula 400, but i didnt for a reason! you already said you want a 4-6 cylinder, gas prices are high as hell, and you wont find any cheaper insurance than on a honda, and i dunno what these guys are talkin about but you can pick up a nicely modified civic or crx for $3000, atleast you can in NY, my friend had an 89' crx with a little under 100,000 miles, it was lowered, had an intake, dc sport exhaust, 17's and was chipped n he sold it for 3 grand, for your first car, dont get a domestic, get anything but one....

exatak199
05-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Uh huh. My sister has an Eclipse GST (same exact thing) and it is slow as hell.

it's proly not turbocharged :rolleyes:

2001400ex
05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
The GS-T is not a slow car. And exakt. the GS-T is a turbocharged car. GS-TURBO. The GS-X is the All Wheel Drive, turbocharged GS. I was looking at these cars for myself. Whoever says they are slow does not know what they're talking about. They are quick cars. The GS-T is faster top-end than a GS-X because it is lighter. And chances are if you say your sisters car is slow it's a GS/RS and someone put the GS-T badging on it, unless you can actually SEE the turbo or the wastegate.

If you're serioussly looking for something to beat on, get a VW. The GTi's are some of the best cars I've ever seen. They can take a CRAP LOAD of abuse, and if you want to - there's companies that make aftermarket parts for them. I personally prefer the VR6 over the 1.8T's - but that's just me.

exatak199
05-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
The GS-T is not a slow car. And exakt. the GS-T is a turbocharged car. GS-TURBO. The GS-X is the All Wheel Drive, turbocharged GS. I was looking at these cars for myself. Whoever says they are slow does not know what they're talking about. They are quick cars. The GS-T is faster top-end than a GS-X because it is lighter. And chances are if you say your sisters car is slow it's a GS/RS and someone put the GS-T badging on it, unless you can actually SEE the turbo or the wastegate.

amen brotha!
ghak9....my parents little talon does 12.9 1/4 mile what does you rustang do?? 14-15 in 1/4mile :confused:

2001400ex
05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I think 5.0's run 14 second 1/4 miles. Don't hold me to that. 12.9 congrats man that is a fast Talon.:macho

diesel-mech
05-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I think 5.0's run 14 second 1/4 miles. Don't hold me to that. 12.9 congrats man that is a fast Talon.:macho

Come on! this is sounding like B.S.
I don't mean this as a flame so please don't take it as one.
My challenger (after alot of work) had a dual four set up,440 4-speed My dad and his buddy (who both spent most of their lives running drag cars) helped build the car. engine, chassis, everything. The car would pull the front wheels off on a hard launch. If it hooked up any better it would have broken a heavily modified drivetrain. That car never broke into the twelves no matter who ran it or weather conditions! My Mom got the closest, I beleave the time was 13.078 at 144 mph at Muncie race park ,In.

This car was built to race! IN MY OPINION a lot of numbers get thrown out that are not accurate. 14 seconds in a 1/4 is a very fast car espesially a stock car!

LilDacktyle
05-10-2004, 07:56 PM
dont get a car. get a truck. like a ranger. by a sick long travel kit on it that has like +5 inches on each side. get some king coilovers and link the back. if you get that you could go to the desert with your quad and you could ride your quad around, get board and then jump the **** out of your truck. thats that way to go.

2001400ex
05-10-2004, 07:59 PM
My challenger (after alot of work) had a dual four set up,440 4-speed My dad and his buddy (who both spent most of their lives running drag cars) helped build the car. engine, chassis, everything. The car would pull the front wheels off on a hard launch. If it hooked up any better it would have broken a heavily modified drivetrain. That car never broke into the twelves no matter who ran it or weather conditions! My Mom got the closest, I beleave the time was 13.078 at 144 mph at Muncie race park ,In.

This car was built to race! IN MY OPINION a lot of numbers get thrown out that are not accurate. 14 seconds in a 1/4 is a very fast car espesially a stock car!

No flame taken. Something doesn't sound right man. I have personally seen a BMW run an 8 second 1/4 mile at my local race track. It pulled a wheelie. I think that 12.9 is very possible for a Talon TSi, they have the AWD for the good launch, and if you're running some high boost and have yourself a nice FMIC, 12.9 is possible.

BlazingYamahaYz
05-10-2004, 08:03 PM
thanks for the replies guys....im leaning more towards a car than a truck, just cuz there arent many good off-roading spots out here...i dont think i will be getting anything too special, my dad doesnt think i need turbo/anything else like that on my first car, since it will not be driven too heavily....thanks guys....

diesel-mech
05-10-2004, 08:51 PM
No flame taken. Something doesn't sound right man. I have personally seen a BMW run an 8 second 1/4 mile at my local race track. It pulled a wheelie. I think that 12.9 is very possible for a Talon TSi, they have the AWD for the good launch, and if you're running some high boost and have yourself a nice FMIC, 12.9 is possible.

Don't get me wrong.
I'm sure some cars come pull this time, technology is far better now. But I seem to notice that "everybodies" car runs in the 12's
I think a lot of it is crap! Not always crap but more often than not.
I've raced against cars that would run in the 9's(brackets). But I've also raced cars that the driver "said" they run in the 9's too(back roads). I smoked those guys! Yes they had a very fast car but they didn't really know how fast it was. You get my piont? There is a lot of big talk when it comes to E.T.'s most of the time they have never seen the local strip.

I wish you luck with your car purchase and I hope your memories of it are happy ones that last forever. enjoy it

PismoGuy400
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
if you dont get a truck how are you going to haul your yz?

want somethin small, 4/6 cylinder... good on gas..

think.. you have a bike you want to save gas..

what does this add up to..?

SMALL TRUCK

i picked up a 1996 chevy s10 pickup..5 speed 2.2 (WEAK but good on gas) for 2500. and my 400 fits in the back perfectly

this truck has all of about 100 horse power it gets 20++++ (on a bad day)mpg, and i shift at about 4k unless im takin it easy, which isnt very often.

cant go wrong and its very reliable

BlazingYamahaYz
05-11-2004, 06:12 AM
i got rid of the yz a year ago....and i dont plan on getting another bike/quad until i have a better job and more money.....but i did think about a small truck since noone else in my family has one....

rockwilda1089
05-11-2004, 08:06 AM
if that talon runs anything i think it would be more of a 13.9, i know a couple people who have one and ive seen gsr's spank em, plus the AWD ain't doin much on the start when you got all that turbo lag

UglyMotha™
05-11-2004, 08:13 AM
amen brotha!
ghak9....my parents little talon does 12.9 1/4 mile what does you rustang do?? 14-15 in 1/4mile :confused:

ya whatever, maybe in the 1/8 :rolleyes:

exatak199
05-11-2004, 05:46 PM

sounds like one fast challenger! my dad hada '68 chevelle that ran 11.9 1/4 mile it was a 396 bb bored out to 402, factory hedders, holly carb, alummiumm (sp:confused: ) intake, with 4:11 rear end gears! the thing would rev at 4200rpm at highway speed (90kph) :eek: (4-5 mpg)

and Ugly it was 1/4 mile:rolleyes: :blah:

2001400ex
05-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Don't get me wrong.
I'm sure some cars come pull this time, technology is far better now. But I seem to notice that "everybodies" car runs in the 12's
I think a lot of it is crap! Not always crap but more often than not.
I've raced against cars that would run in the 9's(brackets). But I've also raced cars that the driver "said" they run in the 9's too(back roads). I smoked those guys! Yes they had a very fast car but they didn't really know how fast it was. You get my piont? There is a lot of big talk when it comes to E.T.'s most of the time they have never seen the local strip.

I wish you luck with your car purchase and I hope your memories of it are happy ones that last forever. enjoy it

I agree with you, there's alot of ricers out there, (this topic has been beat to death) but there is also some Japanese cars that can definitely represent. Anyway, I don't disagree with you that people throw out rediculous 1/4 mile times...I was watching a DVD (Gumball 3000) and there is a section in the beginning of the movie called 'domestic rice' - this guy owned a Mustang (riced out hardcore) and he said that he has a rotary engine in his MUSTANG....ROTARY with PISTONS...OK - I know that the triangle inside the rotary engine (I forget the name of it) is a type of piston, but this guy said he had a rotary with pistons...lol...when will it end?

ghak99
05-11-2004, 06:29 PM
amen brotha!

Post a time slip of that 12.9!

:rolleyes:

LMAO......14-15....you can get bone stock 200,000 mile 87-93 mustangs to run faster than that with a little brains and tuning. I am not going to waste my time bench racing with someone who doesn't know their *****.

ghak99
05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rockwilda1089
if that talon runs anything i think it would be more of a 13.9, i know a couple people who have one and ive seen gsr's spank em, plus the AWD ain't doin much on the start when you got all that turbo lag

I would have to agree completely!

2001400ex
05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
The GS-X doesn't use a turbo the size of a human head. It has a tiny turbo, The AWD is going to give you a great launch and you will have very minimal turbo lag. What mods do you have done to your parents Talon exakt? 12.9 is a very fast 1/4 mile. A Stock VR-4 runs low 14's, high 13's. (V-6 TT AWD.)

rockwilda1089
05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
isnt the vr-4 a 3000gt???

2001400ex
05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Yes. I know a **** load about them because I've been looking at getting one since I'm 13. I own one now. Selling mine to buy a Stealth R/T TT. I hope things work out...

rockwilda1089
05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
i just dont see how we got from talons to 3000gt's??? i was talking about the awd turbo talon, its not that fast, its funny the debate is between these 2 cars cuz a friend of mine has a turbo awd talon that he delivers his pizza in, and hes got a brand new mustang gt w/ a kit on it, he was my weather man in high school cuz when it was gonna rain he either had the talon or his 300zx, when it was nice he has his stang, and as far as these talons runnin 12.9 i wanna see a time slip b4 i hear n e more of that BS i worked w/ a kid who had an awd TT 3000gt, and that thing didnt even run a 12.9, you also gotta remember that just cuz the car is capable of hitting a 12.9 or whatever you say your time is, it dosn't mean every person driving that car can hit that time, most people see what drivers w/ similar cars have ran and brag that their car can run that, well the driver is just as important as the car sucka!

UglyMotha™
05-12-2004, 11:46 AM

and Ugly it was 1/4 mile:rolleyes: :blah:

riiiiiight and they started the clock halfway down the strip :huh

bulkdriverlp
05-12-2004, 08:44 PM
if you HAVE to have a car get a pontiac, if you want a truck (yes) get a ranger or s-10 in my book cars are useless, how can you look down in the car next to you when your driving a car, get my drift? my f-150 3 door does me fine except for the 14mpg.ed

250R_4_ever
05-13-2004, 07:09 PM
I really don't what the hell you guys are talking about ...Gm,ford,acura,honda,dodge.

Its your first car !!! you need a Volkswagen everybody is gonna tell you they are crap but NO ,thats only true living car !!!!

They are alive !!!

Ok first it as to be betwen 1981 and 1992 don't choose a Mk3 or a Mk4 as you first VW cuz you won't like it

Try to get a GTI a Rabbit or a Golf ...
Stay aways from 16valves
8valves are the best .

-Make a big hole in there air box (no p-flow not worted)
-K&N air filter
-Neuspeed Sport springs kit
-Bilstein shocks (if you got the $$$)
-Polyheurethane table bushing
-15 inch Wheel 205 50 15 (BBS,BORBET,ASA,OZ)
-MOMO steering wheel
-4 or 2 rounds lights grille
-OEM Recaro seats (if you can find them)

There you GO you got A living Life time Car

I swear youll remeber that car all your life and youll love it like your girlfriend

Im 25 and I still miss my Baby :rolleyes:

I Had over 10 VW I know them by heart

And remember

If it rubbing you aint dubbing
GET ONE :D

exatak199
05-13-2004, 08:21 PM
um have you ever driven anything else other than a VW???:huh

I think you need to get out of your VW more:eek:

250R_4_ever
05-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Got a 2000 SIR right now and 90 toyota 4x4 pick up trunk

bulkdriverlp
05-13-2004, 09:00 PM
think about when it breaks down, which is easier to get parts for or who wants to work on it. gm or ford of course!:rolleyes: ed