what is better Z-400 or 400ex

05-09-2004, 01:17 PM
better for what?

bigcountry300ex
05-09-2004, 01:19 PM
better for anything mainly trails and raceing

TheFontMaster
05-09-2004, 02:40 PM
the z-400 is faster has more power, and handles better.

batgeek
05-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Z has slightly more power...but i'll give the handling to the 400ex.

both are very good trail machines, you won't go wrong with either.

BlueZ440
05-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Z400:D

05-09-2004, 07:40 PM
z-400...400ex feels so heavy and powerless...don't flame i just don't like it...

bigcountry300ex
05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
i think im going to go with the 400ex because my brother has a Z-400 and it feels kind of tipy in tight places, i have a 300ex now and it isn't as easy to tip. my friend has a 400ex with a FMF T-4 exhaust and he does pretty good in races i don't think the power will be that big of a deal

if anyone is willing to sell there 400ex and is close to me, let me know

250rmike
05-22-2004, 06:04 PM
the z has the power but the ex ha the geometry and handling. the z just needs to be alittle lower and it would be great

Dr. Quad
05-23-2004, 06:44 AM
are you guys kidding the z400 is alot better quad liquid cooled dual over head cams reverse their is no chance the 400ex is as good air cooled engines loose power as they get rode hard and get hot if you think it is tippy you can bolt on a set of 400ex front shocks and it will drop your front end about 2 inches and make it 3 inches wider it will take a lot of engine mods to get the 400ex up to the power of the z400 and then it is not as reliable as it was whin it was stock

TC426EX
05-23-2004, 09:29 AM
400ex all the way, Z's are crap

Dr. Quad
05-24-2004, 05:17 AM
i am not saying the 400ex is not a good quad it is just falling behind the times new hi tech machines are just better

popo
05-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
400ex all the way, Z's are crap

Shut up and go away idiot!

Spency400
05-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by popo
Shut up and go away idiot!

Thanks. He He:) !

Goat397
06-02-2004, 05:37 PM
the Z has 1 more hp than an ex and dependoing on rider an ex can beat a z . the ex handles better . more reliable . has a frame that doesnt crack (notorious on the Z) and you can get it for over $500 dollars cheaper. also for someone that said that it takes a lot to bring the ex engine up to par with the z... umm yaaaaa adding an exuast brings the ex past a stock z

Billdog350
06-03-2004, 06:02 AM
I've owned both a 2000 Honda 400ex and a 2003 LTZ400. The actual dimensions and handling are VERY similar between the two machines since they are ALMOST identical. However EVERYONE that I have let ride both machines has commented that the seat (and reverse) on the LTZ is much better than the 400ex. However, in Honda's defense, the frame of the z400 is brittle while the 400ex is supposedly almost bulletproof. So far I haven't seen cracks in either frame but I don't race MX where they supposedly show up.

Stock compared to stock the LTZ is MUCH smoother suspension wise as well as the engine. At least a half dozen of my friends agree with this statement. The STOCK 400ex definitely has a lot more low end torque and feels more responsive due to the carb with accelerator pump. Throw on a dyno jet kit on the z400 and remove the airbox lid and it makes the z400 as responsive or more than the 400ex at low end. Both are wheelie machines....they come up easily with a blip of the throttle but the z400 revs more which allows you to carry wheelies father and keep them up easier. The official Certificate of Origin as well as dyno charts show that the z400 is about 3 rear wheel hp more than the 400ex. That is pretty significant. I could pull 62 gps verified MPH on my 400ex and 67 mph on the z400. All stock jetting, tires and gearing. 180 lb rider, similar temperature conditions.

Start modifying the machines and they start showing their engineering differences. The 400ex will run hot with a high compression deal or increased timing (sparks timing advance key). However the liquid cooling of the z400 keeps it cool and running smoothly after similar mods. Also, the z400 shows dyno proven gains of over 2 hp by removing the airbox lid and rejetting :eek2: . The 400ex does not benefit as much by this, due to a better designed stock airbox. You have to replace two cams on the z400 due to the twin cam design but higher RPM gains are more significant as a result. I believe the stock z revs about 1000 rpm higher than the stock 400ex...rev boxes increase redline 1000 rpm on both.

Price is about the only place where the machines are significantly different. Because the 400ex has been out since 1999, there are many more available and can be bought for significantly less than a z400 which started in 2003. However, compare a used 2003 to a 2003 and you will find that the Honda's are the same or MORE expensive than the z400's, at least here in CT. Both have significant aftermarket mods available but the 400ex has more stuff because it's been around longer.

My evaluation? If I had a limited budget and wanted to get into a fun machine that will last me a long time, go with the 400ex. If you can blow the extra $1000 or more for the z400 do it. I looked into the mods that it would take to get me up to the STOCK hp of the z400 from my 400ex...and it would be around $700. (Hotcam, Pipe, high comp piston, etc). Might as well start with a stock machine that's putting out the same power...plus has reverse and an updated suspension.

montyjcm
06-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Good post billdog!

I agree with what he had to say. Mainly, if you are going to be modding it, the z is the better machine. There is more oppurtunity with it. It also responds a lot better to mods.

Then again, the 400ex is old reliable. I almost went with one, but I decided to go with the z (besides I found a really sick one@:D ).

Hope this helps!

Jimford
06-05-2004, 06:06 AM
I have a 1999 400ex and ride it very hard. If you look into the times posted on trail races in the magazines the machines are identical. I love my EX but I also really like the z. I wanted one but but had to stay Honda loyal. I put a WB pipe on mine and a UNI filter and what a huge difference. I do a lot of trail riding and I really wish I had reverse. Everyone I ride with has it. When I'm off the bike turning it around on a tight trail, they are just putting back out in reverse. I am a bodybuilder/powerlifter also so I am not weak. It just gets old after a while. But I have aloways been a Honda guy so instead of saving for the Z I bought my EX. Not one problem yet! And it's not slow at all! I hate when people say that.

Ericthered rdr
06-05-2004, 08:34 AM
I wish more people posted edjucated responces like Billdog. I love Honda and always will. I had an '87 250x that I sold this winter to get a new quad. I looked at the quads out there and for my type of riding (XC racing and chasing my boys around) the Z/KFX was the quad for me. It has by far the most cumfortable seat made, reverse which I have benifited from in every race, and a silky smooth tranny. I like the geometry and the power is more than enough for XC racing.

So here is my recomendation. If you want a reliable well buit quad just to ride around then get the Honda for a few hundred bucks cheaper. If you want a quad to race and have any intentions of doing internal engine mods go with the Zuki for the liquid cooled motor and better tranny.

Good luck with your decision and don't let your fiends talk you into a quad that you don't like. Buy the quad that feels right to you and suits your riding style. Brand loyalty is cool if it makes you feel good but unless the manufacturer is gonna give you some kind of kickback then what do you get in return?!

Goat397
06-07-2004, 06:30 PM
frig it just and 800 dollars on the tag and buy a 450r

rrguy
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
yeah billdog about covered it. Too many people give one sided info. IMO Both seem reliable stock. I have mainly owned Hondas still own 2. I do like my kfx for its reverse. I ride it pretty hard with no frame problems. But I don't weigh 240 and bottom it out on every jump, nor do I race MX. IMO both machines Stock front shocks should be replaced, mine are no longer stock & has made a big difference. Its been awhile since I was on a stock 400ex, so its hard to compare & my KFX is no longer stock. I know you asked about the Z or 400ex, but the 450R & YFZ can save you some money in the long run with suspension & motor mods? Sometimes whatever you get a better deal on might help you make your decision. Good Luck

Billdog350
06-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Now my question is before I start modding my z400 too much more is do I start with a YFZ and be happy with it...or do I mod my z400 so that I can keep the reverse? I know everyone has a good point with the fact that the amount of money that it takes to bring a z400 to the YFZ450 performance level, you could have bought a YFZ outright.....but then again you're ending up with a machine that is as fast as a YFZ but also has REVERSE!!!

I dunno...I don't race MX here in CT at all, purely woods riding so I don't know what my obsession with top end is.....but I still want it!!!

montyjcm
06-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Another question is what are you coming from power wise? Is this your first quad, or have had one before?

I mean, if you feel that you can handle the 450s, go for one. You won't be disappointed with a z for trails, however. Also, you can get 40-45hp+ with out boring the z (by doing cams, carb, cdi, etc.), which would make it as powerful or more as a piped yfz.

So, you could find a used z with a pipe, air filter, for like 4grandish. Spend 1grand on suspension and one on the motor. That still is a grand less than the yfz.

Just another point to make.

PEPwalshZ440
06-09-2004, 03:52 PM
maybe a 400ex if u get the motor mounts for a CRF motor and then throw one of those motors in there.

PEPwalshZ440
06-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by montyjcm
Another question is what are you coming from power wise? Is this your first quad, or have had one before?

I mean, if you feel that you can handle the 450s, go for one. You won't be disappointed with a z for trails, however. Also, you can get 40-45hp+ with out boring the z (by doing cams, carb, cdi, etc.), which would make it as powerful or more as a piped yfz.

So, you could find a used z with a pipe, air filter, for like 4grandish. Spend 1grand on suspension and one on the motor. That still is a grand less than the yfz.

Just another point to make.
a Z with cams carb cdi exhaust whatever is not going to have ANYWHERE NEAR as much HP as a piped yfz or handle as good. Also, if u spend just $1000 on suspension, you're doing it real half-*** cuz if u do it right you're gonna spend about $5000 on a-arms and swinger and front and rear shock and linkage. Also $1000 into the motor will make it faster, but to get it as fast as the yfz, u need the yoshimura 450 kit which is $2500 to install by them and $1200 to build it by urself then u figure another $400 for installation cuz u can't bore it urself unless u got a shop. Also, a yfz will always be better than a Z.

Billdog350
06-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Monty seems to make more sense than PEPWalsh...although 40-45 hp sounds a bit high for just cam, rev box, and carb mods. I'm not looking to compete in MX so extended swingarms, triple res shocks or whatever aren't what I need for woods riding.

Also, Monty, I've been riding quads since I was about 12 or so when I started on a Honda TRX125. Since then I've had a Honda Osyssey, Suzuki 250 Quadrunner, Yamaha Tri-Z 250, Kawasaki Mojave, Honda 400ex, Honda Foreman 450s and my newest, a Suzuki Z400. The tri-Z was faster than anything I have ridden so far. I'm used to quick quads and use mine almost exclusively in the woods or open trails (not MX at all) so my opinion of what "handles good" is not the same as MX people. I just like more power like everyone else....

popo
06-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
Also, a yfz will always be better than a Z.

Not by looking at.
1.Who's winning the GNC races.
2.Electrical problems.
3.Starting on fire.

montyjcm
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Z with cams carb cdi exhaust whatever is not going to have ANYWHERE NEAR as much HP as a piped yfz or handle as good. Also, if u spend just $1000 on suspension, you're doing it real half-*** cuz if u do it right you're gonna spend about $5000 on a-arms and swinger and front and rear shock and linkage. Also $1000 into the motor will make it faster, but to get it as fast as the yfz, u need the yoshimura 450 kit which is $2500 to install by them and $1200 to build it by urself then u figure another $400 for installation cuz u can't bore it urself unless u got a shop. Also, a yfz will always be better than a Z.

Not trying to start something, but I disagree. Someone on the z400central forum has a z400 with the drze base gasket mod, porting, fcr 40, hot cams, and yoshi rev box.

He has ridden a yfz 450 with/pipe, and he says that his z feels like it has more power. I don't know how much power, but he was thinking 45ish.

This was not my personal experience, but from what everyone else on there says, the z really wakes up with mods.

BTW, I was talking about 1000 for front shocks, which helps a lot on the z. Sorry for the confusion.

montyjcm
06-10-2004, 02:19 PM
nv, wrong post

Billdog350
06-10-2004, 02:26 PM
From what I have read and learned so far, the base gasket, hotcams, pipe, jetting, and rev box should put me in the 40hp range or so...the FCR gives you an additional 2-5 hp. All of that stuff together would cost me no more than $1000 so I'd have $5000 invested in something as quick as a stock YFZ, but still reliable and with reverse....sounds like a deal.

rrguy
06-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Unless you have money for one of each, You kinda have to decide what is important to you. Brand, features, what fits your riding style. If you want reverse that eliminates alot of your choices you will probaly go with the Z/kfx . Price well probaly the 400ex. If you want to buy a fast quad like the yfz & not have to mod it that might be another point, but then you could buy a good used 400ex with most of the mods you want?, (probaly the most afordable way to go right now) & still have a great handeling quad. But as far as not putting any mods on your quad good luck. I bought the KFX400 new & wasn't going to put any mods on it. You keep reading forums & riding with your freinds its only a matter of time before you will be putting on some aftermarket parts. It might start with $ 10 grips, & whoops now I have a big bore? & your thinking how did that happen? :D If you put $2500.00 into the right mods on a 400ex or Z, I would rather ride on of them than a stock yfz. As for the YFZ I don't know of one person who has one stock without mods. I have some of the engine mods with a stock bore & its not like the mighty yfz's walk away, I am not into drag racing, but we do sometimes & they are pretty close. The yfz is a quick reving engine with a close ratio gearbox without alot of low end, so you will be shifting more. The Z400 has good torque & a wider ratio tranny. As far as racing most of its the rider, & how well your quad is setup for that style of racing.

z400guy21
07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
z400...no questions asked

whitebrothers
07-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I have a 400ex , i think it is falling behind but we all have to love the first ever reliable 4 stroke (250r is king of 2) racing quad i know the z is a little faster and has more motor to work with but i still know my quad can keep up and beat a z, but i have also been beaten before! most people look at me wierd when they see me beating a new z down the drags with a ex.
We also all have to remember that it is mostly about the bike setup and the riders skills, Doug Gust is beating the guys on yfz450s with a 400 think about it that means he is a better rider!

Ryan
07-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Test ride both and see which one suits you better.

Stock for stock, I like the way the 400ex handles...... The Z is a little tippy, (Which can be fixed). But power definitly goes to the Z.

The only thing that is questionable to me about a lt-z is their frame. I've seen many bent ones. It would definitly be smart to gusset the frame and reinforce the shock mounts. Motocross, especially.

MY450R
07-08-2004, 07:03 AM
i own both machines and a z400 is the better quad
never had a frame prob at all but the chain adjuster suks always comes loose. really the best quad is the 450r also the ex is a little more cramped for me and im 6'0

MY450R
07-08-2004, 07:11 AM
oh by the way the z has reverse and elec start and i bought a 450r and i dont regret it at all
you'd be surprised at how little you use reverse and as far as elec start i thought i'd hate to kick the 450 over but once you get used to it,it only takes 1 or 2 kicks to fire it.
i think im pretty lucky to own all 3 quads,it takes a lot of money but i have way too much fun to stop buying them
my wife will just have to get over it lol sorry for getting off the subject a little

250rmike
07-08-2004, 08:57 AM
when i trail ride i use reverse all the time. but when i go to the track i dont use it. depends on what kind of riding you do to determine if you need reverse or not.

Billdog350
07-08-2004, 09:12 AM
As with most things, you need to decide what is more important to you. Can you get by with out reverse? Of course.....I had a 400ex for a while and I didn't mind not having reverse. However assuming the suspension and engine was the same and you could get the 400ex or z400, one with reverse or one without...obviously most people would choose the one with reverse. Now the YFZ and TRX trade off the reverse with additional power and lighter weight. If all out speed and power are your main objectives...than reverse won't be as important.

Overall if you're looking for a sporty quad that will ride trails well and handle an occasional trip to the track, the z400 will be great. If you're looking for an all out SPEED machine for track use...then the YFZ or TRX are your beasts.

TheMachine
07-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
the z-400 is faster has more power, and handles better.

The Z is faster but doesnt handle better

Billdog350
07-09-2004, 06:22 AM
I disagree. I had both 400ex and z400 and I would say my z400 handles as good as the 400ex. Some big factors for the z400 are the better seat design which allows you to shift your weight easier and narrower gas tank and plastics for more movement. You will notice if you look up the specs that the frames and suspension are VERY similar between the two machines so I can't imagine how anyone can say one is hands down better than the other if they're both the same.

250rmike
07-09-2004, 09:34 AM
yea the z is only alittle higher than the ex but i think is alot more comfortable it has alittle bit more power but alot more potential in the motor. and the suspension is pretty much the same

Metzroth
02-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Not by looking at.
1.Who's winning the GNC races.
2.Electrical problems.
3.Starting on fire.

LMAO did anyone else laugh when they read #3?

Eddiesanders250
02-16-2005, 06:46 PM
are you guys kidding the ex is nothin compared to the zs got the power and liquid cooled. it is real top heavy but get some spacers on all hubs and it will help.

Metzroth
02-16-2005, 09:41 PM
i dunno who u ride against if u have a z but take an ex and take the difference between the z and the ex and put it in mods and EX will slaughter the Z. Besides that the ex has way better handling.

Tortured Z
02-20-2005, 05:16 PM
The Z and the EX are the same price first off. Stock for stock and mod for mod the Z is better period. Yeah I've ridden both and I'm glad I picked the Z over the EX when I bought a quad.

MSL
02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
the Z and the EX debate is old and tired:tired:

If you want to have the fastest quad then you have 3 options.

Option1: Throw alot of $$$ into a Z or EX and still not be able to beat a modded 450 yammy or Handa or C-Dale.

Option2: Buy a 450

Option3: Just realise that if you do mostly woods and trail riding you dont need the fastest quad to be one of the fastest riders in your group.

Z-Racer-5c
02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
I agree with MSL!

I have a very modified KFX-453 and it will spank most 450's. The point is that there is a guy in ou racing circles that races with a 300ex and smokes my A@@. He is a much better ridder than I am. The best thing to do is get a stock bike and learn how to ride it!!!! Seat time is the key and not horse power. When you turn pro then you might need to get more power but at that point someone else will pay for it!!!

zach#33
02-20-2005, 10:28 PM
when my z was stcok i was beating my friends ex and he has alien exhust k&n airfilter and bigger jets and i would beat him bby a half of quad in about a 300 yard drag race in sand and he had paddles and i didnt plus he ways and 65pounds litter then me and has been riding a clutch longer so i z not just because i have one but like other people said the 400 ex is behind its time

Bender
02-22-2005, 09:34 AM
A piped,jetted,air filter,paddles, and a 65 pound weight advantage. Since the EX had paddles on, I assume you were draging in sand. Losing to a stock Z400? Sounds like rider error to me.

Metzroth
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
I am heavier than most the people i ride with and I usually have no problem keeping up. In a drag about 2 weeks ago I raced a Yfz450 and a WR426 and beat both till about mid 3rd gear. Neither of those is slower than an EX. That goes to show that in a race it is way more to have a good rider than the most expensive quad.

catch22blaster
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
the Z

Metzroth
02-23-2005, 02:53 PM
the EX

400exrider707
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
This is funny to read. :D Personally I think its all rider. Heres a great story to help you understand this too. Last me and my buddies were racing at a new track. We were doing staggered starts. The AM/EX class left off the gate and then the novice class went like 15 seconds later. My buddy was racing a nearly stock 300ex at the time. By the end of the race he had almost passed some guy in the AM class on a yfz450. He would have passed him but he landed funny off of this monster table and split his chin open on the bars and came very close to blacking out. He also beat everyone in the novice class even though he sat motionless on the side of the track for like 30seconds. He ended up finishing and winning against a few 450rs, one yfz 450 a Z, two 400ex's, a banshee, and i think a kfx. It was pretty damn funny!! So it just goes to show you that as long as your a great rider you dont need the fastest quad to win. You guys know that Bubba Stewart also enters 125 class races at his local tracks on his KdX110 and wins right?? Yeah thats pretty funny too...........

Tortured Z
02-24-2005, 04:22 AM
I guess the original question has been forgotten. The guy was asking which is better the Z400 or 400ex.

They both retail for $5799.00 so price isn't an issue and they both have reverse. So what is the difference to make one better than the other? For one the Z is liquid cooled and has dual overhead cams which gives it more potential in the motor dept. Secondly, the Z comes with rezzy shocks all the way around, has slightly more travel and is slightly wider than the EX. So it looks like the Z is better in the suspesion dept. also. The Z is also more comfortable, feels lighter, and in my opinion handles better.

You get more for your money by going with the Z.

bonified5
02-24-2005, 06:02 PM
so, which would be the better one for me. At my local dealer, there is a z400 and a 400ex both $3900 and both 2003's. the ex has a pipe, jet kit, black plastics, swinarm skid, and nerfs. i mostly ride the trails.....mud and woods, and do some jumping. What do u guys think?

Metzroth
02-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Well if the EX has all those mods it was probably ridden harder than the Z without mods. But you never know if the owner of the Z just removed the mods before trading it in or selling it to the dealer. You also really don't know how hard the EX was ridden until you look at it closely. But the Z is not quite as reliable as the EX (IMO) and I like the way the EX feels. Also I will admit I am slightly biased when it comes to this because I have an EX. But if the the EX is rough at all I would go with the Z. Keep in mind the frame for the Z was not completely fixed until the 04 version and that could create a problem. That is why I bought my 03 EX instead of the 03 Z that the dealer had. Either way you will be happy with it. If you want the most power buy the Z. There is no question it has more power. But if you want a honda that is reliable, plenty fast, and has lots of potential go with the 400ex. Also keep in mind it is easy to get help when working on your ex because of the large amount of people who have owned EX's in the past and still do own them. Before you buy make sure you check over the quad thoroughly. Look for rust on the frame, chain, sprockets, and anywhere else for that matter. If there are any of these you will know that maintenance wasn't that important to the previous owner. Look at the plastics and see if they are scratched more than normal, if they are then the quad you are looking at has probably be flipped or abused. (I didn't pay attention to the plastics on my EX till I got it home, there was actually dry blood on them that i had mistaken for dirt, also my front brake reservoir cap was ground down, so apparently he flipped it on the road. The handlebars were just slightly tweaked, barely noticable) Make sure you get as much information as you can about the quad your about to buy before you decide to buy it. Last thing to remember is not to jump into it. If I had looked around before buying my quad I probably would have waited long enough to where I would have found a better deal on a 400ex or a different quad. Hopefully all of this will give you some Idea of what to look for in a used quad before you buy it.

bonified5
02-24-2005, 07:53 PM
ok thanx alot. I did notice some discoloration on the engine, im not sure if it was rust or not, but it was where some bolts were. I think it had 2 previous owners too. And yea, ive been looking for a new atv since october.

hemi operator
02-25-2005, 01:21 AM
I'm coming up on this same decision myself....the EX or the KFX/LTZ. I know both are plenty powerful and good handling trail machines. My biggest concern is reliability. Quite simply, as I see it there's more to go wrong out in the middle of nowhere on the LTZ/KFX. The radiator, fan, hoses, and overflow tank are all relatively unprotected. Man, would it ever suck to be miles out on a trail and have a bad leak. I like the simplicity of the EX in that scenario. It's a tough decision.

Z-Racer-5c
02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
I have the KFX and it seems to me that the problems associated with it are minor. I would have to say though that if you are looking for simplicity and reliability you should go with the EX. It may lack in power but if you become a better ridder then the power is a mute point if ridding in the trails. If you are looking for a drag bike then buy accordingly.

Scro
02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
z-racer-5c, hows the weekend looking? lol

03-26-2005, 04:34 PM
i still think kawi and suzuki should have smaller frames on those 400's, i'd deffinetly go with the ex cause wats the fun of a fast or powerful quad but u cant use all of its power cause u scared it will flip:huh :ermm:

Jimford
03-26-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a 400ex and ride with my friend with a yfz450. We were riding the other day we were sise by side nd both gunned it. He did not pull awayt at all it was neck and neck. We were riding in icey slippery conditions. I've ridden his quad. he even says my ex feels like a caddy compared to his yfz. It feels too small, but it is still fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04EXdude
03-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Tortured Z
I guess the original question has been forgotten. The guy was asking which is better the Z400 or 400ex.

They both retail for $5799.00 so price isn't an issue and they both have reverse. So what is the difference to make one better than the other? For one the Z is liquid cooled and has dual overhead cams which gives it more potential in the motor dept. Secondly, the Z comes with rezzy shocks all the way around, has slightly more travel and is slightly wider than the EX. So it looks like the Z is better in the suspesion dept. also. The Z is also more comfortable, feels lighter, and in my opinion handles better.

You get more for your money by going with the Z.

They may have the same retail price but around here the Suzuki gets full retail and they still try to squeeze more out of you. I got my EX for $4900 otd while the Suzi dealers were talking retail +. The Z may be a little better but not for almost a grand more.

YFZ450Ridr
03-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
This is funny to read. :D Personally I think its all rider. Heres a great story to help you understand this too. Last me and my buddies were racing at a new track. We were doing staggered starts. The AM/EX class left off the gate and then the novice class went like 15 seconds later. My buddy was racing a nearly stock 300ex at the time. By the end of the race he had almost passed some guy in the AM class on a yfz450. He would have passed him but he landed funny off of this monster table and split his chin open on the bars and came very close to blacking out. He also beat everyone in the novice class even though he sat motionless on the side of the track for like 30seconds. He ended up finishing and winning against a few 450rs, one yfz 450 a Z, two 400ex's, a banshee, and i think a kfx. It was pretty damn funny!! So it just goes to show you that as long as your a great rider you dont need the fastest quad to win. You guys know that Bubba Stewart also enters 125 class races at his local tracks on his KdX110 and wins right?? Yeah thats pretty funny too...........

i have to agree with all of that, i know you guys are gona say this is bullchit, but my friend has a 450r and i have a 250ex, both stock and i can some times pull away from him in the trails. we ride at the same pase in trails but i am better of a rider. as for the z or ex both are nice, reliable and good all around. personally i would get the Z/KFX because i like the looks of it better and hear nothing but good things about it.

RiderTRX400ex
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
yea its true, your right... a lot of a machine being faster is how skilled the rider is..

DWT74
05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Go with the Z and this is coming from a Honda man. I own a 05 Z400 and it sure as H@@L is alot better than the Raptor i had. I know i said i was a Honda man but when it comes to ATVS i look elsewhere, I did own a Raptor and traded for a CBR600RR (good move) and i just recently bought a 05 Z400 and i did not make a mistake and this is my first Suzuki.

exridermike
05-12-2005, 08:58 AM
z is crap:ermm: