PDA

View Full Version : first car......

my03-400ex
05-09-2004, 12:24 PM
1993 mustang 5.0 with exhaust, new paint, etc. or 1995 accord

they are both gonna be around 3k, maybe a little less.

the mustang will probably need some work, but then again i'm 15 and have a year to fix it up before i am (legally) driving anyway.

the accord is pretty much mint, and my uncle owns it now, so i know its a reliable car.

the mustang is a 5 speed and the accord is an auto. i *think* i want the manual, but i'm just not sure if that's the greatest idea for my first car... should i be paying attention to learning road laws and all that, or is the manual not that big of a deal?

there are more factors of course but these are the main ones... what do you think??

thanks

K2Snow
05-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Between the two cars, I don't really have an opinion between the two although I would tend to lean more towards the Mustang. I learned how to drive on a stick and I'm glad I did. I didn't ahve a problem learning the "rules of the road" and a manual at the same time. Shifting a car is similar to a quad so it won't be as hard as you think. Just get used to using your foot for the clutch and hand for shifter as opposed to the quad where it is the opposite. You'll already be familiar on how to shift and when to shift. Just takes some time to get used to the car. Good luck.

my03-400ex
05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
alright, thanks for the opinion.....
anyone else??

massjunglist
05-09-2004, 01:13 PM
get the mustang!!! you will be a better driver learning on that car as long as you are responsible. which you sound like you are. plus american muscle versus japanese economy car? it should be no contest. and if you do decide on the honda DO NOT RICE IT OUT!

LTandRaptorider
05-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by massjunglist
get the mustang!!! you will be a better driver learning on that car as long as you are responsible. which you sound like you are. plus american muscle versus japanese economy car? it should be no contest. and if you do decide on the honda DO NOT RICE IT OUT!

I tend to agree... however with gas at almost$2 a gallon, I'm not liking the 350 in my truck! But it does sound good, and has plenty of power...;) Just ask ILGNCC400ex, as I blew past him on the interstate! course he gave me a hearty wave as he continued on by the gas station I was at...:o

Being responsible is the key. Most of the time a fast car isn't the best for a kid to start out driving. Whichever car you choose, be safe!

my03-400ex
05-09-2004, 02:04 PM
if i riced it out i would feel obligated to shoot myself....
lol
thanks, anyone else??

rockwilda1089
05-09-2004, 02:12 PM
if sinking all your $$$$$ into your tank isnt a problem get the mustang, mileage is a big issue too, those domestics dont hold up like the ricers do

my03-400ex
05-09-2004, 04:07 PM
well, as of right now, the honda has about 30k more miles on it

hondafox440
05-09-2004, 04:45 PM
The Honda will be a more sensible choice. Slower (less tempted to speed), auto (much easier to learn on), and probably more reliable. The Stang will be much more fun once you get better at driving and get your license, and it will be easier to pick up chicks. Can't pull a quad with either one though.. ;)

rider250ex
05-09-2004, 06:11 PM
hey travis...whos mustang is it??? anyways i say you get the accord and let me get the mustang....seeing im a better driver and all:D talk to you in school...lata

ReconRider25
05-09-2004, 06:24 PM
id go with the stickshift seeing that im partial to manual transmissions, but then again id rather have the accord then the stang for its reliability and low costs.

2001400ex
05-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Go with the Mustang. I have my first car right now and it's a manual. Driving a manual car makes me a better driver, I have to focus more on what I'm doing...downshifting etc. rather than daydreaming while driving an automatic.

brif
05-09-2004, 07:28 PM
I think the person who you should be talking to first is your insurance agent. You may be horrified to find out how much the mustang will cost a 16 yearold first time driver. The next bit of advice I'll offer you is to stay the hell away from a car that you already know " needs alittle work". Usually if you see something that needs "alittle help" there is alot of other things that you don't that needs help. Next these 2 cars aren't the only ones out there. Look around you say you're 15. You have a year. Believe me the funnest part of getting your car is trying several out. You won't forget your first auto so have patience, look around, don't buy the first thing or 2 that you see and stay away from the fixer uppers and you'll be OK....Good Luck...........

Stevie-D
05-09-2004, 07:28 PM
How about a horse drawn carraige?:D you can get a mustang to pull it with..then you can go around and tell everyone that you drive a mustang:p

lmao!:blah:

Quad18star
05-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Like other people have said ... as long as you're responsible , I'd get the Stang .... With a little bit of work , you can sell it probably in a few years from now for the same amount you paid for it .... and I wouldn't worry about the gas prices like someone said ... just be thankfull you dont live where I live and pay $4+ a gallon :grr:

batgeek
05-09-2004, 09:57 PM
who's paying for the insurance?

keep that in mind.

rockwilda1089
05-10-2004, 10:29 AM
FORGET THEM AMERICAN MADE, GAS GUZZLING, RUST CASTLE POS'S!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S YOUR FIRST CAR!!!!!!!!! GET A LITTLE IMPORT AND WHEN YOU GET OLDER AND KNOW HOW TO DRIVE AND MONEY ISNT A PROBLEM SAVE UP AND GET A NICE MUSCLE CAR =)

Personally i would get a Frontier b4 any car, you can lug your bike around in it =)

K2Snow
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
A little pickup would be a good idea. My first car was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max, and yes... that was the name of the vehicle. Tiny pickup truck, but it hauled the quad so I was content. Didn't have power anything, literally. Not even power brakes or steering, and the heater simply blew hot air off the engine. Whoever reccomended you keep looking for a vehicle was right. Take your time till you find something that will suit you. I wouldn't worry about getting the nicest vehicle, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting something with the lowest mileage possible. As long as it runs good, go for it. First car should be an opportunity to learn and get all of your little dents and dings out of the way when you bump into things parking or what not. I had my first car for a little over a year and then got a newer truck.

LilDacktyle
05-10-2004, 08:05 PM
get a truck. but if i to pick between the two, mustang by far.

RMX500
05-10-2004, 08:16 PM
it's simple, neither car is fast. I doubt the stang's a cobra so let's look where it matters.

Gas - Honda
Longevity - Honda
Resale - Honda
Insurance - Honda

It's pretty simple, it's just a lot of children on these forums think mustangs are "bad" or fast or whatever and therefore are totally practical.

And then there's the other children blasting the honda just because some people out there do a really ****ty job "tuning" honda's.

well... mustang's look even worse tuned so why don't we just leave the whole racing and tuning thing out of your decision.

Chanman420q
05-10-2004, 08:42 PM
my friend has a 93' ford mustang with the v8 5.0, apid 3grand for it, in mint condition, wish i wouldqa bought it, but he cant afford the insurance on it, 16yr old male on his own insurance wasnt cheap. so he bought this buick for 900 bucks til he has enuff for the insurance. just something to think about.

my03-400ex
05-11-2004, 03:23 PM
yeah, i don't think i'm gonna get anything real soon, i was more or less thinking about what type of car in general i want. i'm not going to get my uncle's car... he thinks he's found someone who wants it and is willing to pay a bunch more than me, so that's that. and trust me, looking around at cars is one of my biggest hobbies.

rmx500- what the do you mean mustangs look even worse tuned?? how can the engine bay looks like **** when you have something like a supercharger, headers, etc.? the only way you can make it look worse in my opinion is to put some very obnoxious 20s or something like that on it.

stevie-D.... actually, i am allergic to horses! LOL(i really am, too.) hahaha

05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
sweet ride

massjunglist
05-11-2004, 03:51 PM
rmx are you kidding me? are you saying that because the mustang isn't a cobra it can't be fast? what is your opinion of fast? because a 93 mustang will screw in lx or gt from. especially with a little bit of motor mods ie: roller rockers, cam. the only thing that would sway me from the mustang is gas prices right now. and when you say "tuned" i think you mean "riced out" being that the term "tuner car" definately isn't used to describe domestics.

trick450r
05-11-2004, 06:41 PM
get the accord right now i have an 84' vw rabbit gti, and i must say for a 100hp 4 banger its a fast little thing, with 35 mpg and it only cost 1 buck only needs a minute amount of work, wait till i get the turbonetics t-3 turbo:devil: oh and by the way this isen't a ricer deal:cuss:

rockwilda1089
05-11-2004, 06:45 PM
yea and we'll all laugh when your 84' rabbit kicks the bucket from your t-3 turbo, the boost in that thing is probably nothing compared to the boost in the t-3, ya cant just be throwing these things in left & right, ya gotta do it right

406ex
05-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey,

Get the 5.0! That was my first c ar a 5 speed 5.0 mustang with exhaust. Don't listen to people when they say the mustang isnt relialbe. i had a 83 ( 6 months ago) put 3-4000 km/s on it and never replaced ANYTHING. and it had 183k on it. If you get the mustang first check your insurance ( reason i sold mine) Drive responsible. You may think you have control one minute and swinging sideways into a curb the next. 230 hp to the rearwheels is a little hard to hang on to if ur sideways.

When your learning, just take it easy and don't show off by squealing tires and burnouts:D your just wasting cash. DONT street race and remember theres a time and place to let the 5.0 hang out.

plus they ladies love mustangs!

RMX500
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
my first car (which I still own) is a 1995 Probe GT with a mazda KLZE and a T04 turbo on precision piping with a greddy intercooler. I spent about 5k on the car and 3k in the mods I have on it which is just the turbo and the wheels.

it's putting down close to 300 hose at 13psi and gets better gas mileage than a bone stock mustang of any form. truly a nice car.

i considered a V8, but I just didn't wanna have to pay out that much for gas or insurance.

just look at what's happening to gas prices in north america these days.

p.s - the ladies don't care for mustangs because everyone has one. poor mans cadillac. :D

girls just wanna get Probed ;)

bulkdriverlp
05-11-2004, 10:23 PM
a 16 yo kid having a musting is not a good idea. just learning how to drive is challenging enough, let alone the 275 hp or whatever it is. youll be with your buddies trying to impress some girlies and burnout or something and there will be somebody walking in front of you and you wont even see em then what. plus its not to often a 16 yo will be able to afford the insurance on a mustang except if mommie and daddy will pay for it. then once you screw up and get a ouil and you get dropped by the insurence company then what? when mom and dad have to pay double? i dont think youll drive anything then, right. get a ranger or s-10 so you can carry your scateboard or your boogie board and go hang out with your friends at the park.jmo.p.s. ive had 26 vehicles and 9 accidents, i ouil, hit 18 deer, went in the ditch countless times,been there done that.:blah:

massjunglist
05-12-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
a 16 yo kid having a musting is not a good idea. just learning how to drive is challenging enough, let alone the 275 hp or whatever it is. youll be with your buddies trying to impress some girlies and burnout or something and there will be somebody walking in front of you and you wont even see em then what. plus its not to often a 16 yo will be able to afford the insurance on a mustang except if mommie and daddy will pay for it. then once you screw up and get a ouil and you get dropped by the insurence company then what? when mom and dad have to pay double? i dont think youll drive anything then, right. get a ranger or s-10 so you can carry your scateboard or your boogie board and go hang out with your friends at the park.jmo.p.s. ive had 26 vehicles and 9 accidents, i ouil, hit 18 deer, went in the ditch countless times,been there done that.:blah: :eek2: :huh :eek: :confused: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: jeebus!

Rebelrider4OOex
05-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by LilDacktyle
get a truck. but if i to pick between the two, mustang by far.

same thing^^^:rolleyes:

longie
05-13-2004, 07:06 AM
If you decide w/the Mustang, you'd better get another car for the winters...where do you live? Massachusetts? How much snowfall does your area get a winter? I've never even driven a mustang, but I've driven a Z-28 in the winter in Illinois, and it wasn't fun. I'm sure you can find a ranger/s-10/tacoma or something similar that would be a much better vehicle for you...possibly even a Jeep...a Cherokee Sport would probably be a great idea for a first vehicle.

xr50layke
05-13-2004, 08:04 AM
my mom keeps telling me i need a car im like no i need a quad

my03-400ex
05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
ive had 26 vehicles and 9 accidents, i ouil, hit 18 deer, went in the ditch countless times,been there done that.:blah:

and i should take advice from you?!?!?
lol...jk