PDA

View Full Version : hotcams stage 1 or 2

FF1O5
05-09-2004, 09:04 AM
im looking into a 11:1 416 with x6 and was wondering if i should go with hotcams stage 1 or 2?with stage 2 do i need hardened rockers?i was going to go with aftermarket valve springs no matter wich choice?i ride mostly trails so i didnt want anything that you have to keep at a high rpm,so i was looking into the stage 1,but after reading other post's im not sure.

05-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by FF1O5
im looking into a 11:1 416 with x6 and was wondering if i should go with hotcams stage 1 or 2?with stage 2 do i need hardened rockers?i was going to go with aftermarket valve springs no matter wich choice?i ride mostly trails so i didnt want anything that you have to keep at a high rpm,so i was looking into the stage 1,but after reading other post's im not sure.

i went with the stage 2 in my 416 and i have 11.6:1 u do not need hardend rockers with either cam and do not buy aftermarket vavle springs unless you have hardend rockers...and if u had the valve springs and the hardend rockers a better cam would be the sparks cam or a web cam...if u dont want to keep it up in the high rpm get the stage 1...the stage 2 is all high rpm stuff...i ride crosscountry and trails also but i went with the stage 2...if you want the low end low rpm stuff then go for the stage 1

H_W
05-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
i went with the stage 2 in my 416 and i have 11.6:1 u do not need hardend rockers with either cam and do not buy aftermarket vavle springs unless you have hardend rockers...and if u had the valve springs and the hardend rockers a better cam would be the sparks cam or a web cam...if u dont want to keep it up in the high rpm get the stage 1...the stage 2 is all high rpm stuff...i ride crosscountry and trails also but i went with the stage 2...if you want the low end low rpm stuff then go for the stage 1

I agree, I have the hotcam stage 2 and I love it. You should not get hardend rockers for either hotcam stage 1 or 2. Hardend rockers will wear the them out quickly. Hotcams are made of the same material as the stock cam.

DantheEXman
05-09-2004, 03:21 PM
They are both great. I have the Stage 1, I ride all trails and I love it, Its got ALOT of low end balls. It Pulls very hard through the trails. Go with whichever one sounds better for your riding style.

hondarider2006
05-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I am going to start mx this summer and I am needing a rebuild soon....I was going to go with the stock bore, or maybe a 406 and was trying to decided stage 1 or 2 hot cam also. The track is pretty tight, and lots of corners, so I was leaning more twords the stage 1. Think this sounds good, or would the stage 2 be my better bet???

seven
05-09-2004, 06:10 PM
I have a stage 2 and I love it. I havent got to ride on a stage 1 though.

F-16Guy
05-09-2004, 07:41 PM
I have the stage 1 and I like it a lot. It will easily bounce off the rev limiter and the bottom end is very strong. I put a stage 2 in my buddy's 406 when I built it, and he says he doesn't really notice any bottom end loss. I think with the higher compression your motor is going to make good low end power even with the higher duration cam. The choice really depends on how and where you ride.

foleyit
05-09-2004, 09:47 PM
You don't need hardened rockers with a hotcams cam. I haven't ridden a 416 with a stage 1. However, I think that if you are riding tight trails you'll want a stage 1. Just my .02 cents

51_Honda_51
05-10-2004, 02:35 PM
I have a stage 1 and I like it alot but your going to need to change your 14 tooth sproket back to 15 cause otherwise it will be to low and rev to much.

KASCHAK
05-10-2004, 09:25 PM
when i did my motor i went with the stage 1 in trails and hills it has more then enough to pull it anywere. the stage 1 is more of a mid-top then a bottom end cam..
doesnt seem to pull in the bottom more in top and mid. and in a drag race. if a short one you will pull out and be so far ahead that the same motor with a stage 2 wont beable to catch up.. but if its a long race.. he'll beat ya.

imho the stage 1 is a better cam then the stage 2. ive riden with both same motors only different cams