PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bike Ignition problems PLEASE RESPOND

speedy400
05-08-2004, 07:43 PM
SUMMARY-took out the battery of an old kickstart twin 2-stroke, took it down the road a lil bit and coils burnt out, because of the battery or something inbetween?condencer?THANKS

So 1 week ago I got a 1972 suzuki gt250 twin(2-stroke) cycle/dirt bike from my uncle for free. He told me about 2 years ago it just died one day. Then he said that he thought it was a battery problem or something (it's a kickstart) so he hooked up a charger to the positive wire and grounded the ground andtried to start it, still nothing, not long after he smelt electrical burning. So this previous week I cleaned out the petcock(looked to be clogged) and cleaned the carbs although they looked fine and freed up the pistons (the rings seemed to be rusted in place, I had no problem fixing that. also it still dosnt have a battery so we temperarely put a battery on the cables just incase it did in fact need the battery. And we went to a junk yard and found a replacement for one of the coils had burnt out(guessing thats what he had smelt while doing the charger on the cables thing...) so today we got it running, since the battery did not fit and didnt think it needed it we took it off, it kept running so we thought nothing of it. 8 min later I took it down the road about a mile, it was just running great, then just died. later on we found out bolth the ignition coils had now burn out, would this be because of no battery in it? sorry for so long. THANK YOU!!-darren

speedy400
05-09-2004, 05:41 PM
bump-darren

Aallron
05-11-2004, 01:06 AM
The short answer is yes, it needs the battery. In that type of application, the battery is the storage device/shunt for the system. The current that the generator is producing has to go somewhere, ignition coils, field windings on the generator and lights and or regulator.

speedy400
05-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Thank you, Aallron, that is all I needed.-darren