PDA

View Full Version : Broken ball joint on Burgard a arms

WhiteBros400ex
05-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Today while ridding at rausch creek my lower left ball joint broke on my burgard +2+0 a arms for a 400ex. How much do they cost and also while getting towed back some said that the ball joints break all the time on these a arms is it true and is there a away to stop them from braking?I need this quad fixed for the exriders ride next weekend so thanks to the people who can help me out.
BTW these a arms are only about a little under a month old.

Pappy
05-08-2004, 07:34 PM
you can get a replacement from Burgard or an auto parts store. they run about $18 to $25

make sure the lowers are screwed ALL the way in...thats the leading cause for breakage

WhiteBros400ex
05-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you can get a replacement from Burgard or an auto parts store. they run about $18 to $25

make sure the lowers are screwed ALL the way in...thats the leading cause for breakage

Thanks pappy yup i had in turned out about 3 to 4 turns,yea i heard they r the same as like VW bettles tie rod ends do they work for sure and what do i tell the auto dealer that i need. I will also remember to put them screwed all the way in should i screw the top ones in as far as they go to?

Thanks for your Help

Pappy
05-08-2004, 09:07 PM
the uppers will be adjusted to however you want your camber set....only the lowers are to be screwed in all the way. i am going to Burgards on monday and can get you a replacement and send it to you so youll be ready for rausch. pm me your addy and ill get it headed your way on tuesday

PhilMoore
05-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Carquest part number ES419R

redrunner
05-17-2004, 06:50 AM
I have some Burgard +2+1 and it seems the joint "pinches" off way before the stock joint use too. It seems to limit the travel by about 1" less, is that normal?

PhilMoore
05-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Most of the A-arms that use these automotive ball joints are slapped up in somebody's garage. It is quicker, easier and cheaper to buy them than it is to make your own. As a whole, they are cheaper than race grade parts, and you get what you paid for. Personally, I have learned my lesson.
These Burgards, are the only aftermarket Arms I have owned. When I got them I saw the weakness before I even put them on, but you know how it is when you get new parts, and you are in euphoria. :rolleyes: Plus, I figured my Elka shocks would make up for it. No amount of shock will make up for poor initial design...
Unfortunately too many part companies see another product, think they can copy it, and do it wrong.

There is nothing I hate more about these forums than when somebody says "well, you should have bought xxx brand". That is not what I am trying to do here. I am just letting you know that I had similar problems. I didn't crash, I didn't hit anything. It bent from jumping a jump I hit many times on my stock A-arms with no problems.

IF the ball joint is limiting your travel, it is going to bend no matter what you do. The shock has to bottom out and limit the travel of the arm.

redrunner
05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
Most of the A-arms that use these automotive ball joints are slapped up in somebody's garage. It is quicker, easier and cheaper to buy them than it is to make your own.

IF the ball joint is limiting your travel, it is going to bend no matter what you do. The shock has to bottom out and limit the travel of the arm.

Well I am going with some custom length elkas with a relocator that i made. did some pretty good measuring for the 14.75" works that I had. The shock will stop the travel .250 before the joints pinch off. Can you buy a better grade joint to fit the Burgards?