PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of your cam?

Blown 331
05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to see what everyone with a 450R thought about their cam choice and which do you have?

I got my 450R in January and bought the HRC kit the same day. A lot of people told me to wait for the aftermarket to catch up and there will be a better cam.
Well so far I haven't heard of a cam that I would think is better. All other aftermarkets cams that I've seen just say they don't have as much bottom end loss as the HRC cam but don't give has much power up top. Well mine has plenty of bottom end, I've never needed anymore low end and I still have the stock pipe. Plus I hear an aftermarket pipe picks up some nice low end. I like having the extra top end that the HRC cam gives. I wouldn't trade top end power for more low end that I don't need. I just ride for fun, mostly in the woods, no racing. What does everyone else think?

4fiddyR
05-08-2004, 10:10 PM
I feel to each there own. I have a Sparks cam, and my buddy has an HRC, I race and he doesn't. I like the bottom and mid range I get from the sparks cam. top end doesn't even come into play for me, but that is the type of riding I do.
Any cam is a big improvement over stock and I'm sure your pleased with it. Just go out there and have fun.:devil:

tkwarrior
05-09-2004, 01:15 PM
My feeling is the HRC came is the best because this bike was designed to rev. Unlike the 400ex which didn't mind lugging around at low rpms.

Honda knows what is going on and how to build an excelent product. I'm sure they did plent of R&D before the decided to release the HRC kit. Also I've ridden a bike with the same mods as mine but with a Sparks cam. Both of us agreed that the HRC cam did give a little more umph over the sparks.

Also I agree with 4fiddy any cam will be better than stock.

trx450r52
05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
4fiddyr, do you have a pic of your quad? looking at the mods list, it sounds pretty sweet, just wanted to catch a glance at it, ive yet to see one with a-arms or an axle

joe1l
05-09-2004, 11:31 PM
I did alot of research when i was looking for a cam. I ended up with the Sparks cam. I was going to get an HRC cam, but after talking to a few people who had them, and had swtiched to the Sparks cam, were more satisfied with the Sparks overall. The HRC cam makes a 5hp gain over stock but only on the top end, whereas the Sparks cam makes a 4hp throughout the entire rpm range. The people who I talked to that owned the HRC and switched to the Sparks said that and the Sparks were very similar on top, but HRC had a little more, but there was no comparison on the bottom end and midrange, the sparks made much more power there. My impression of the sparks was that it made more power right from the bottom all the way to the revlimter and beyond. It also feels as if though it revs faster now with the sparks cam. I am very impressed with it and the power it makes.