PDA

View Full Version : automatic cam tensioner?

chucked
05-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Ive had this horrible tick forever, ive tried everything to fix it. so finally i tried to tighten up the cam chain. i took the philips head screw off of the cam chain tensioner and when i loosened the screw (which tightens the cam chain) the tick goes away till i take the screwdriver out, So im thinking the spring might be worn?? if this sounds confusing give me a few huors, i burnt the crap outta my hands on the pipe doing this.

R3Concepts
05-08-2004, 12:44 PM
The cam chain tensioner is hydraulic on a 400ex, so theres full in or full out and thats it. You cant tighten a hydraulic tensioner. But you can back it all the way out then let the flat head screw go and it should pop out against the rub plate. If it doesnt then its new tensioner time.

chucked
05-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
The cam chain tensioner is hydraulic on a 400ex, so theres full in or full out and thats it. You cant tighten a hydraulic tensioner. But you can back it all the way out then let the flat head screw go and it should pop out against the rub plate. If it doesnt then its new tensioner time.

where can I get a new tensioner?

R3Concepts
05-08-2004, 12:47 PM
The local honda shop, bikebandit.com, servicehonda.com, discounthondaparts.com

adeptex
05-08-2004, 12:52 PM
When the tensioner can no longer keep the chain tight it is time for a cam chain not a tensioner. Also, it is not hydraulic. It is spring and it extend only so it will not get weak. You can inspect it while it is out and determine if it is working properly. From what you describe, your cam chain has stretched beyond its service life.

chucked
05-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by adeptex
When the tensioner can no longer keep the chain tight it is time for a cam chain not a tensioner. Also, it is not hydraulic. It is spring and it extend only so it will not get weak. You can inspect it while it is out and determine if it is working properly. From what you describe, your cam chain has stretched beyond its service life.

but when I tightened up the cam chain, it stopped the ticking.

adeptex
05-08-2004, 07:53 PM
The ticking sound in your case sounds like the cam chain slapping the guides. The tensioner can only extend so far and then it bottoms out. It can no longer keep the chain tight. But if you take it out and use a screw driver, you can push the chain tighter than the tensioner can. Thats why your noise goes away.

chucked
05-08-2004, 07:59 PM
The ticking sound in your case sounds like the cam chain slapping the guides. The tensioner can only extend so far and then it bottoms out. It can no longer keep the chain tight. But if you take it out and use a screw driver, you can push the chain tighter than the tensioner can. Thats why your noise goes away.

You must have never taken a cam chain tensioner apart. If you take the cap off (phillips head thing) there is a slot in there for a screw driver. if you turn it clockwise it will draw in the tensioner, if you turn it counter clockwise, it will extract the tensioner. It was designed like that so you can retract the tensioner all the way in, in order to install it. The cam chain tensioner is not bottomed out.

R3Concepts
05-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah he's right about the tensioner not being hydraulic on a 400, I dont know why I keep thinking it is. You should replace the cam chain with a heavier one for a 400 or use a crf450 cam chain. The tensioner is either backed all the way out or all the way in so I dont see how you could have screwed the tensioner in more against the guides and made the sound go away unless it didnt pop all the way out when you let the internal screw go. I would take the tensioner out and clean it real well and then screw it all the way in and let it go and see if the tensioner pops out all the way. But I would not stick a screw driver against the guide plates, thats not a great idea.

chucked
05-08-2004, 08:04 PM
But I would not stick a screw driver against the guide plates, thats not a great idea.

I DIDNT!!!!!! :mad:

R3Concepts
05-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Im not saying you did but he made it sound like thats what he has done to check a problem. Dont get mad im trying to help you.

adeptex
05-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Yes I know how they work. It was my understanding that you took the tensioner off the engine and stuck a screwdriver in the hole to push on the chain. If the tensioner is not bottomed out then disregard my suggestions. If you suspect the tensioner is bad take it off the engine. Once it extends, it will not go back it until you turn the screw. If it does it is bad.

chucked
05-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Yes I know how they work. It was my understanding that you took the tensioner off the engine and stuck a screwdriver in the hole to push on the chain. If the tensioner is not bottomed out then disregard my suggestions. If you suspect the tensioner is bad take it off the engine. Once it extends, it will not go back it until you turn the screw. If it does it is bad.

i think thats what its doing. Im gonna take it all apart tomorrow and make a list of parts. Im probably gonna replace mostly everything on the top end. cam chain and sprockets, cam, piston and rings, cam chain tensioner and guides.