PDA

View Full Version : spray painted radiator cause overheat?

400exbiggun
05-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I have heard this, is it true? i bought a radiator used for my tecate that was freshly spray painted...primed and painted.
This wont cause it to over heat will it?

chucked
05-08-2004, 12:43 PM
no, if you were to take it to a shop to get it fixed (lets say there was a hole in it.) they would paint it before they gave it back

RytM1
05-08-2004, 02:04 PM
It might depend on the kind of paint you are using. Say for instance, bare aluminum dissipates heat at a certain rate. Then you cover it with a paint that has really low heat dissipation qualities. You have basically trapped heat inside what ever you are painting.

diesel-mech
05-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
It might depend on the kind of paint you are using. Say for instance, bare aluminum dissipates heat at a certain rate. Then you cover it with a paint that has really low heat dissipation qualities. You have basically trapped heat inside what ever you are painting.

Your cooling system was designed to be overkill. It is usually more than what the engine really needs. If your finns are all bent up and resticting your air flow or if your finns are filled with dirt it will cause it to over heat. unless you have painted your finns so much that it plugs them up you should be ok. Make sure you can see plenty of air through your radiator. the radiator will dissipate heat with paint on it just don't go real heavy on the paint

400exbiggun
05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
ok, i can see through it through the fins. I know the guy and it was painted with krylon...not the fusion though. the guy i bought it from was a friend.
So i should still be good then, correct?
it wasnt painted with hi-temp...as far as i know.

diesel-mech
05-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
ok, i can see through it through the fins. I know the guy and it was painted with krylon...not the fusion though. the guy i bought it from was a friend.

Should be fine. spray paint will hardly penatrate into the fins so heat disipation won't be a problem

sparky450AR
05-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun

we painted our plastics with krylon, i remember that stuff being pretty thick.....correct me if im wrong.

SGA
05-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Quit worring. Ive gotten plenty repaired radiators from the radiator shop for customers cars. They spray them with black spray paint. Wont hurt a thing.