PDA

View Full Version : Installed HRC today

04trx450R
05-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, I picked up the HRC kit today for 250.00,,,,, Installation went well, just make sure you readjust the decompression, it clearly states in the manual that the clearance needs to be adjusted, thats why some people say its hard to kick after HRC install,,,,,,, Anyway, the power is great it has an awesome midrange hit now,, and sounds really nice, much better than just the baffle removed,,,,,,,, Anyway,,, Well worth the money, for less than the cost of a pipe I got a huge power increase over stock, I cant even imagine the acceleration if I put a 13 tooth front sprocket on it,,,,,,

tkwarrior
05-08-2004, 08:55 AM
It really wakes up when you do the 13t with a full exhaust.

Honda Jay
05-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Did you have to re-shim the valve clearance or did you just run it?

So you adjusted the decompressor and that's it?
My valve clearance is nada and am worried, I am going to go check and see if the shims seated right and hopefully you can reply very fast cause i wanna start her up!

Thanks,
Jay

kssandduner
05-08-2004, 05:32 PM
DO NOT START IT UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE SHIMS ARE SEATED RIGHT!!!! When I put my HRC kit in, somehow I didn't have one of the shims seated right, and it ran fine for awhile, but when it finally came loose... it did some damage!!

Joe

Honda Jay
05-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks,
So i guess i will definately go double check and see what the hell is going on. They have to be off even though i checked them before a put the cam carrier back on. This just puzzles me, my valve adjustment is so tight after the change and haven't heard of anyone else having the same trouble. Is this just me or did everyone's workout fine or you forgot to check the clearance?

Jay

Hammer trx450r
05-08-2004, 06:19 PM
no i definatly checked and i had clearance. Are you sure the cam fully on the flat spot when u check it? Sorry if that sounds stupid

Hammer trx450r
05-08-2004, 06:20 PM
and you didn't switch them did you?

Honda Jay
05-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
and you didn't switch them did you?

The shims? If so, No. . . but i am going to go and start tinkering around again, and make sure it's not something stupid like not being TDC on comp stroke. But stay with me and we'll figure it out.

Jay

onebad450r
05-08-2004, 07:09 PM
After installing the HRC cam, I had to to re-shim all 4 valves on mine. I only had .003"on the Intake and .007" and .008" on the Exhaust. I have seen on here that some of the guys changed to the HRC cam and did not have to re-shim. Don't know why but I had to and maybe you need to also.

Honda Jay
05-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by onebad450r
After installing the HRC cam, I had to to re-shim all 4 valves on mine. I only had .003"on the Intake and .007" and .008" on the Exhaust. I have seen on here that some of the guys changed to the HRC cam and did not have to re-shim. Don't know why but I had to and maybe you need to also.

This sounds just like my situation, so i guess this is not the only time this has happened. So i'll get me some new shims. . .
Thanks,
Jay

Hammer trx450r
05-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Honda Jay
This sounds just like my situation, so i guess this is not the only time this has happened. So i'll get me some new shims. . .
Thanks,
Jay

I think its a good idea too

RRideRR
05-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I had one intake too loose after the cam swap.

86atc250r
05-09-2004, 12:47 AM
I got lucky -- ended up moving my shims around to get my clearances down closer to spec than it was stock.

04trx450R
05-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Mine stayed in spec,

joe1l
05-09-2004, 11:45 PM
I bought my cam from sparks and asked them if I had to reshim my valves when I put my cam in. His told me that 50% don't have to be reshimed while 50% need to be reshimmed. I measured my clearance before I disassmbled my cam, and wrote them down. When i put the new cam back in the clearance were identical. The funny thing is my clearances on the right side of the exhaust and the intake were on the tightest of range for clearances -.03 and the left side was on the loose end of the range +.03. Both exhaust shims were different measurments as were the intake shms.
Was anyone else's like this?