PDA

View Full Version : how to build whoops?

400exBro
05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I am wanting to make some killer whoops to pratice on for mx racing, and am having troubles thinking of a way to make them??? i want the track as rough as possible... i was thinking a large roller whoops that you can go flying over top of??

please give me some ideas, pictures would help....
and i am able to get any kind of equipment, dozer, skid steer...

LSRyfz426
05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Thought this may help, its actually taken from the dirtwurx website
www.dirtwurx.com (http://www.dirtwurx.com)

WHAT ABOUT WHOOPS
Probably the most often asked question we get here at the DIRT WURX USA global headquarters is: "How do you make whoops?" There are a couple of choices.

First, here's how we do it at a Supercross or on a pro level practice track. We lay down a pad of dirt the right width for the lane and as long as we want the whoop section to be in total. The dirt is approximately a foot and a half deep, meaning a foot and a half above the existing grade of the racetrack surface. Then we take the loader and ride down the pad in the direction that the riders will travel and make a steep cut into the pad about 3' from the end, flipping the dirt we dig up onto the pad on the far side of the cut. We are cutting the last whoop first and will back our way back down the pad.

After the dirt is flipped up, we get the top and front face shaped up a bit with the bucket, then roll the loader down into the cut and up and over the dirt we piled up. Do it all the way across . This rounds the bottom of the "v" cut we made and rounds and packs the first whoop. After we get it packed all the way across we put the bucket over the back side of it and curl over as we backdrag to take out tire tracks and other imperfections. Take a look at the picture and you will get the idea.

Spacing is approximately 8' top to top. And the front side of each whoop is much steeper than the back, because it's the side we are working. This is all good for pros, but probably too much for an amateur track.

For amateur whoops you gotta use a different method. You can pile 'em up one by one with the loader and roll 'em in as above. This gives you a bunch more control over their height and shape than cutting them into a pad, but it's much slower. Or you can make the pad as above, but then cut the whoops with the dozer. The dozer gives a flatter, more forgiving face, mellower bottom, and wider spacing that makes the whoops a lot more friendly.

Okay, that's a bunch for this month. We probably won't do another track tip for awhile, since the new season is right here. Check out the race schedule section to get the latest info. Also the new track drawings are up for the first part of the series and the track facts will be up soon!

Rich Winkler, Dirt Wurx USA