PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question! loctite when rebuilding motor?

nikejoe
05-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Is there any reason you would use, or has anyone used loctite when rebuilding or putting your engine back together? I am just curious, I am a little nervous about tightening down all the bolts in the top half of the motor. I had a buddy that rebuilt his motor and then later had to tear it back down. He had obviously overtightened most of the bolts, because about 4 of them broke off. I am just curious do most people use a toque wrench and torque it to specs or just go by feel??? Any advice?:confused:

AtvMxRider
05-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Get a Torque wrench and use it. Loctite is cheap insurance.

nikejoe
05-06-2004, 09:19 PM
So do people usually use loctite? So in your opinion a torque wrench is a must?

JOEX
05-06-2004, 10:05 PM
A torque wrench should be mandatory. Locktight, i'm not sure, would like to know too, what bolts and what color if any.:)

400rednEX
05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
cam sprocket for sure, the manual says just motor oil on the head cover bolts.

Crashmore 22
05-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Loctite the cam sprocket bolts. Get a "GOOD" torque wrench and torque to spec especially the nuts that torque the cylinder head.

big-guy
05-06-2004, 11:30 PM
You must use a torque wrench! And learn the difference between inch pounds and foot pounds.
pros will use threadlock on almost everything, I'd go with medium strength (blue, I think, should say on the bottle) unless its something that will "never" need to come apart again. Some bolts actually should be oiled before installation, this is where the factory manual comes in.

UglyMotha™
05-07-2004, 07:44 AM
the only bolts that have to be loctite is the sprocket cam bolts and you must use blue all bolts must be torqued to the proper torque so a torque wrench is a definent must

foleyit
05-07-2004, 08:29 AM
The manual only calls for loctite on your cam sprocket bolts. Definitely, use a torque wrench and make sure that you read the correct torque requirements inch vs. foot pounds. Also, the torque requirements vary on each bolt.

RIDER11X
05-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Crashmore 22
Loctite the cam sprocket bolts. Get a "GOOD" torque wrench and torque to spec especially the nuts that torque the cylinder head.

I agree! Get the style with the click when you reach you torque value........and always take it back to the minimum torque setting when it's not in use, even for a few minutes. This preserves the calibration of the tool. I use mine for the drain plugs on oil changes, to save my tank from getting cracked also.:cool:

05-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I thought just gettin the bolts snug was the key...:confused:

Guess I"ll ask santy clause for one this year....:o I don't think a toruqe wrench has touched one part on my quad....:huh

UglyMotha™
05-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Guess I"ll ask santy clause for one this year....:o I don't think a toruqe wrench has touched one part on my quad....:huh

the only thing i ever torque are the the head bolts the rest i just snug :p

JOEX
05-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Rico

There are some not too bright folks out there;) :devil:

Then there's the kid who needs two hands to pick up the wrench and Bubba who bottoms out the quad when he sits on it :huh :p

KY Woods Rider
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I use Loctite on the cam sprocket bolts and everything else just gets torqued to spec.

JOEX
05-07-2004, 10:40 PM
How do you go about calibrating a torque wrench?

Mines 15+ years old, went a long time without using it and it was probably a $20-$25 model back then.

RIDER11X
05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

Mines 15+ years old, went a long time without using it and it was probably a $20-$25 model back then. ]

Torque a noncritical bolt with a new Torque wrench, and check it with yours. See how similar they are, then reverse the procedure. This is the best way that I know of....:confused:

UglyMotha™
05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by JOEX

Mines 15+ years old, went a long time without using it and it was probably a $20-$25 model back then.

joe with a torque wrench of that price recalibrating would be throwing it away and buying a new one :eek: :p