PDA

View Full Version : how to tighten my chain

bonedaddy77
05-06-2004, 05:33 PM
i just put on a 14 tooth sprocket on a stock 01 400ex, now how the in the hell do i tighten the chain? maybe it's a dumb question but it seems that honda did things a bit different than normal dirt bikes and 4 wheelers here.

Bill Fuller
05-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Loosen the 4 bolts on the swing arm(6mm).They are the ones that are "clamping" the round housing down on the carrier.Next there is a couple of holes on the left side of the carrier(they go around the lip,between the sprocket hub and the swingarm)rotate the carrier forward or backwards(I forget) until the desired slack is achieved.Do not over tighten the chain remember the weight of the machine compressing the shock and making the chain tighten.You should have about an inch of up and down movementwhile sitting on the bike.Tighten the 4 swingarm bolts evenly.

Bill Fuller
05-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Oh by the way Honda has the best design for tightening the chain in the ATV industry.If you went to the 14 you "may" have to remove a link on the chain.

05-06-2004, 06:32 PM
your chain should be fine if its still fairly new which im guessing it is because you havent had to adjust it b4 :blah: you pull the carrier backwards to tighten...push forwards to loosen chain...any more questions ask