PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes

dementedyouth55
05-06-2004, 04:56 PM
I am going with my friend to the Oregon Dunes this summer and I was wondering how good they are. I ride at glamis(southern california dunes) and it is awsome. I was wodering if I will be happy or disappointed when I get to Oregon Dunes.

HondaMan222
05-06-2004, 06:35 PM
well i heard that glamis is hust a big open area with no tree's, OR dunes are the best, you got all these good tree shoots, and good size hills. good racing. you should like it

Chef
05-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Glamis and Oregon are 100% different. In glamis the sand is ultra soft, no trees, just desert. In Oregon, the sand tends to be a little bit harder, and there are tree islands and hill climbs in the trees and such. The open dunes arent as big, and hte bikes arent as trick, but they are just as fun.

JOEX
05-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I've never been to Glamis but Florence, OR has a great variaty of sand riding. Not a whole lot of huge dune climbs but there are many open spaces, step ups for miles, trails with and without trees and beach access. You wont be dissapointed;) :)

InsAyneROostin
05-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Florence has good dunes n all, but it doesn't compare to Winchester Bay Dunes. 3000 more acres of space, hella good tree shots, kick *** hillclimbs (banshee hill) and lotsa sand trails and flats to drag on. The hillclimbs and treeshots are the shining star of the winchester bay dunes, tallest dunes in oregon, nice diversity of riding, there are some nice bowls to carve too. later.

!Jordan!

JOEX
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I'veonly been to Winchester once, and I agree that it has the tallest dunes but after riding up 'Banshee Hill' a few times it's time for something else.

I'm not so sure about the size difference but I think there is more at Florence and Horsefall. And more variety.

More info: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreation/ohv/index.shtml

Chef
05-08-2004, 11:01 AM
There is alot more tree-climbs than Banshee Hill-ones that you don't shift up on. :p

twisted threads
05-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Winchester is my favorite because there are some good do or die hills there. In CoosBay there are some awsome hill climbs on the spinreel side also.:cool:

chad400ex
05-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Winchester is great for the hillclimbs, but I find myself getting kind of bored after a few hours. I can go to Florence and ride all day and never get bored. Horsfall and Spinreel are the same, you can ride further than your gas tank will let you. I guess it boils down to what kind of riding you want to do. If it's just hillshooting and drag racing, I'd go to Winchester. If you want all around riding go to Florence, Horsfall, or Spinreel.

Bretmd94
05-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I love the Hoserfall,Houser,Spinreal Dunes. The duens a a little smaller than winchester but the riding area is huge. I can go everywhere in winchester bay in a couple hours. I cant go everywhere in the Horsefall-spinreal area in a 3 day weekend. Theres also nice wide open areas like Florence all along Bull Run. Not to crowded either.

InsAyneROostin
05-09-2004, 03:02 PM
I love Horsfall dunes, they kick so much @$$ with the open area and trails and everything. But winchester isn't just Banshee hill and hillclimbs n treeshots. There are alot of sand trails, sloping dunes to roll across, nice wide open areas where you can go balls out. Not to mention there's a bike shop if you break somethin or forgot somethin while packing up for your trip right there in town. :rolleyes:

Mr.Offroad
05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned, The Ore. Dunes, from Coos Bay to Winchester, to Florence, to Sand Lake are all a kick for different resons. Every April, a bunch of us guys leave work and family behind, and head down for what we call "Spring Run". It's 4 days of nothin' but riding, relaxing, and a little partying! And we hit all the Ore. Dunes. I love 'em all.:blah:

Manny55
05-11-2004, 06:45 AM
I'm going to winchester this weekend for the first time. I've heard a lot of good stories about this place :D ! I usually ride at sand lake, so it will be fun to ride somewhere else. Winchester is supposeo to have huge dunes up to 500-550 feet. Don't forget about christmas valley now, they have over 11,000 acres of dunes. Now thats what im talking about. Some thing to be worried about is the sound limit when you go to florence they are so damn strict. The decibel limit is 93!

Manny55
05-11-2004, 06:53 AM
http://out4sand.tripod.com/images/Septs_pic_of_the_month.jpg]

That would be banshee hill. I've heard somedays banshee hill is really hard to climb and some days its nothing, due to the winds.

InsAyneROostin
05-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Sure, christmas vallye as a HUGE area to ride around in, but what about tall dunes? hillclimbs? treeshots? From what i've seen there's nothing but flat dunes with some shrub clumpings that make up the sand trails. If you have any more info on christmas valley, let me know. I don't wanna go out there and find out that there's nothing but drag race area out there. Thanks.

Mr.Offroad
05-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by InsAyneROostin
Sure, christmas vallye as a HUGE area to ride around in, but what about tall dunes? hillclimbs? treeshots? From what i've seen there's nothing but flat dunes with some shrub clumpings that make up the sand trails. If you have any more info on christmas valley, let me know. I don't wanna go out there and find out that there's nothing but drag race area out there. Thanks. Same here! Any info on Christmas Valley would be appreciated.

OregonEXrider
05-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I have lived in Coos Bay OR. for most of my life. I love the section of dunes from horsefall to hauser. You ride there for a week straight and almost never go over the same trail. The dunes arent the tallest but they are fairly big. There is a good size drag strip at hauser, horsefall end has box car a short little drag race hill climb. You have razor back, probably the steepest, beaver slide, and V-8. Then you can head out from hauser and ride down that long whoop road and go to spinreal for some A class hills. Winchester to me is all about hill climbs, it's ok but the riding area is pretty small compared to the horsefalls area. I have never gone up to florence.

From talking to other people christmas valley has some awesome sand. Not really big hill climbs but it is smooth everyday, not all beat up and rough like the coos bay dunes get. Not to mention it is warmer over there, you can camp where ever, and you can drink beer!:devil: