PDA

View Full Version : 250r on pump gas

spdygonzalez450
05-06-2004, 02:35 PM
hey everyone i have a 1986 250r and i was wondering how i could get the most HP out of it but still be able to run pump gas.

04'400ex'er
05-06-2004, 04:13 PM
put a 330 kit in with 11 to 1 comp.

RedRacer44
05-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Depending on the amount of $$$ ya wanna spend, but a big bore kit like a 310 or 330 will give the old 'R a smooth kick in the pants. Just keep away from using a high compression piston where race gas is needed. I have a FTZ 310 kit on my 250R but I have to use race gas but I run 50/50 sometimes, half 91 octance -- half 110 octane.

A simple port/polish job would help out quite a bit too. A Pro Design Cool Head would work nicely also. There's a lot of easy ways to get HP outta 250Rs without dropping A LOT of $$$.

spdygonzalez450
05-06-2004, 10:26 PM
thanks for the information do you know where i can get a good bore kit for a reasonable price?

honda416exman
05-07-2004, 06:32 AM
You can try LRD, Sparks, My freind has a motor built by Duncan Racing and it looks awsome and performs even better. There a bunch of places you just have to search around.

Hope I could help.

sleestack68
05-07-2004, 07:40 AM
I run my esr 310 on pump gas and it does great.

RedRacer44
05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
As far as prices go, you are gonna drop some $$$ on just about any kit. CT Racing has a few kits for a lil' under $1000, I think. Powervalve cylinder kits are gonna be more expensive more than likely also, so I'd avoid those. But they run awesome! I think the CT 310 kit is like $900, I THINK! I havent looked at 250R stuff in soo long after I got mine built......and it sits most of the time now :(

spdygonzalez450
05-08-2004, 01:13 AM
hey redracer44 how does your 250r compair to your 450r?

RedRacer44
05-10-2004, 07:54 AM
As far as power goes, they are completely different as you should presume. My 310 comes on hard and tries to rip your arms outta the sockets! Which is a lot of fun but is very tiring. My 450R is smooth and a lot easier to ride....which in turn, I think I can go faster on the track on my 450.

On the handling side, since they both have the same front end pretty much.....they are just about equal. My 250R probably handles the rough stuff a lil' better just because of the shocks and steering stabilizer but once I get my shocks on my 450R...it'll even out. My 450R seems to turn a lot better with my MX set-up than my 250R did with my MX set-up....which that could just be me.

I prefer to ride my 450 over my 310 in most riding conditions except in the sand which is where my 310 really shines and is actually a lot more comfortable to ride I think. My 450R stays neutral in the air when jumping big dunes but I think that is its only advantage. My 250R always wants to get kinda squirly and pitch itself sideways sometimes in the air.

That is my 2 cents! You wont regret buying a big bore kit for your 250R, there is nothing quite like riding a big bore 250R especially when it beats Banshees at the sand drags! Hahaha!

Chance

spdygonzalez450
05-10-2004, 02:00 PM
cool thanks for the informaion i think that i am going to be doing the 310 kit. anything that you can think of that i might want to look for when buying mine? any informaion will help thanks

RedRacer44
05-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Just how much you want to spend more than anything. I think the CT 310 kit is the best bang for the buck. ESR has some NICE 250R cylinder kits also, so look into them also. I think most of the ESR stuff is powervalve though but I would call them too. They might have something else at their shop they could sell you. My cousin bought a 265 ESR cylinder kit for his '88 250R, it came with a ported head also. It was FAST.

If you are interested in the ESR stuff, give Johnny Hale a call at JH Racing (918)371-0101. He sells the ESR stuff and would be a good source of info on them. He used to ride ESR equipped 250Rs before he switched to a CRF quad.

spdygonzalez450
05-11-2004, 05:09 PM
cool thanks i think i will be calling some places pretty soon. thanks for all your input later

BLACKeR
05-12-2004, 06:01 PM
get a CT 310. you wont have to get a big bore pipe for that. and umm...dont worry about getting those er..special 2-stroke high compression pistons, i wouldnt ask anyone who knows anything about those, their laughter would be most embarasing. if you really want to go crazy go for a 330. i wouldn also recogmend staying away from PV's i dont think there worth the money, just learn how to use a clutch. i have a ct310 and have no complaints, some time i want to go to a 330, but youll have no problem kicking tail with the 310.

spdygonzalez450
05-12-2004, 07:10 PM
BLACKER with your 310 kit what type of gas do u run it on? do u run race fuel? Also did you do anything else like a new clutch and so on? why dont you like the PV? just wondering. thanks later

BLACKeR
05-14-2004, 11:04 AM
i run 93 octain, from sunoco. and the reason i dont like PVs is i just dont think there worth the money. if you have it there great but with a big bore on an R you have plenty of lowend as it is. just learn to use a clutch and youll have no complaints. i have an aftermarket clutch, and youll want to get one. but you wont need race gas, unless you mill your head.

spdygonzalez450
05-14-2004, 01:32 PM
cool thanks for the informaion later

310Rduner
05-14-2004, 04:36 PM
I would go with the Esr 310 kit. You can have one out the door for around $900 with a billet head, 2 head domes (race, and 93octane) all brand new hardwear and such for it as well as being assured that you bought the best out there. I know several people that have had questionable experiences with Ct, and Lrd.. and absolutely no one who has had a complaint against Esr. Even Esr's 4 stroke products are some of the best out there. Whoever said that Esr mostly does powervalves is incorrect. Esr has been advertising their non powervalve engine MUCH longer than they have their powervalves, and even now they have just started to place more emphasis on advertising their pv's in the magazines and such. Do a search on Esr. and you will see how many happy customers there are out there, and how relatively zero unsatisfied customers there are. Also, esr's tech/customer service are absolutely top notch. You can call almost anytime during the day when they aren't at lunch and expect to get any questions you have answered immediately; I haven't once had to leave a message or call back to ask them a question.

To make the engine shine the most, I would also go with an Esr Trx-5 pipe. It really wakes the engine up compared to some other pipes. If sound isn't an issue for you (dune riding for instance), or riding in wet weather frequently, then I would go with the Esr Trx-5centermount pipe. This is the pipe I have on my bike and it is a freaking beast, it has more low end power than the standard mount, and much more mid-top end as well without being a top end only pipe. In dyno tests on a relatively stock motor it makes more bottom end hp than an Lrd adjustable, and more on top as well.

spdygonzalez450
05-15-2004, 09:37 PM
cool thanks for the information. i have looked at ESR and i got a quote from them for a PV but i did not ask about a regular bore. So it looks like i will be calling them again. Also i was wondering if you or anyone else have had any frame work done to your quad. Gusset for example. IF so could you post some pics so i can get an idea because i am going to be gusseting my frame soon and just thought it might be a good idea to see some jobs. thanks again later