PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Axle

Karizz
05-06-2004, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if anybody has any experience or knowledge on a Rear Titanium Axle.....besides the fact that they are very expensive and are 17lbs lighter then stock...??? I saw that this company sells them Rad MFG (http://www.radmfg.com/radmfg.html)

Doibugu2
05-06-2004, 12:35 PM
looks like some nice stuff. Just better have a big check book to shop there.

trout
05-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Cannondale was slated to use that axle before they went bankrupt. Titanium will not bend, it will flex, but never bend and stay bent, it will always return to original position. But it will crack and break at some point, if it bends too far. I have had titanium bike frames in the past. They seriously flex, like if you stand up on the bike and push down with all your weight you can see it and feel it bend/flex. I am not sure its the best material for axles but maybe they have it down.

trout

05-06-2004, 01:19 PM
keith little ran this axle on his lonestart Ti fame 250r tt bike either last year or the year before.
I know a local guy that put one on his drag banshee and he spun the sprocket hub splines right off it.

Syrus
05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
30% the weight of stock*. Same specifications as titanium axles with all holders included. 7075-T6 aluminum.--- Not recommended for jumping. --- Super-Heavy Duty model is designed to increase strength for high horsepower engines, and includes a bearing housing with oversize bearings. When ordering, please specify width from rim face to rim face.

Why would u both buying an aftermarket axel when its "Not Recommended for jumping" ? waste of money imo.

05-06-2004, 01:40 PM
If you run flat track or drag race only it makes perfect sense and is by no means a waste of money

05-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Dana Creech ran one in the stadium series races which have small jumps. He snapped his titanium axle like it was nothing. Sounds like if you keep your quad on the ground and don't hit ANY bumps or jumps it'll be fine. I wouldn't trust it to heavy MX or XC racing..

jamiesel
05-12-2004, 12:26 AM
I have one. I use it in the dunes. I love it.

Karizz
05-12-2004, 06:33 AM
jamiesel,
what kind of Quad do you have it on? What brand axle did you buy? Do you do some serious jumping?

K_Fulk
05-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I looked into them a while back but thats too much money to spend on a axle that has no warranty.

The light weight would be awesome though. I wish rpm could make one that light and still be as stong as the dominator.