PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

Phillip
05-05-2004, 08:48 PM
I took my 450r to the dealer for my first oil change but now i want to do it myself and want to know how easy it is to do the motor oil and the tranny oil . how much does each hold and should i get new crush washers for both sides?

2004TRX450R
05-06-2004, 12:59 AM
New crush washers are a good idea but not necessary every time. You can tell once they start to get all mushroomed out it is time to replace them. It's pretty simple. Just unscrew both drain bolts and let it drain. Pull the oil filter and stick the new one in. Just make sure you get it in the right way. If you don't you will sieze your engine. Each side takes about 600cc of oil wich is a little over a half a quart. Fill them up to the correct level then start it up and ride it for a few minutes. Then recheck and adjust as necessary. Sometimes the tranny has to be topped off a couple times. It will go down when you first ride it once all the oil get's in all the passage ways and stuff.

Hammer trx450r
05-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
New crush washers are a good idea but not necessary every time. You can tell once they start to get all mushroomed out it is time to replace them. It's pretty simple. Just unscrew both drain bolts and let it drain. Pull the oil filter and stick the new one in. Just make sure you get it in the right way. If you don't you will sieze your engine. Each side takes about 600cc of oil wich is a little over a half a quart. Fill them up to the correct level then start it up and ride it for a few minutes. Then recheck and adjust as necessary. Sometimes the tranny has to be topped off a couple times. It will go down when you first ride it once all the oil get's in all the passage ways and stuff.

Hey how are we checking trannt fluid? is that little screw a top off level in the tranny?

05-06-2004, 05:21 AM
you take this little phillip heads bolt off & then proceed to fill up the side with about 0.58 of a quart until little stuff starts oozing out of the hole....then you know its topped off & you put the bolt back in & ride for a few minutes....then you take the bolt off again & see if tranny fluid oozes out...if it doesnt fill it up again untill it does & then your set

2004TRX450R
05-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
you take this little phillip heads bolt off & then proceed to fill up the side with about 0.58 of a quart until little stuff starts oozing out of the hole....then you know its topped off & you put the bolt back in & ride for a few minutes....then you take the bolt off again & see if tranny fluid oozes out...if it doesnt fill it up again untill it does & then your set

Yup that is how you do it. Another way you can do it wich I do sometimes is just measure out the amount of fluid you put in and dump it in and don't worry about it. It says next to the fill plug how much oil goes in. It is 600cc of fluid.

05-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
It is 600cc of fluid. i thought that was the displacement CC's of the engine :huh :eek2: :huh :blah:

Shawn H
05-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Mine says 650cm3

joe1l
05-06-2004, 12:44 PM
The service manual and owner manual says, .87 qt of engine oil, and .55 of tranny oil!

exridr420
05-06-2004, 02:43 PM
does 650cm cubed mean 600cc???

Hammer trx450r
05-06-2004, 05:40 PM
I thought thats what that screw was for. Thanks guys

REDARMYRACER
05-06-2004, 06:25 PM
basically it is an estimate until the levels are right since there is no dip stick in either side.

Hammer trx450r
05-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by REDARMYRACER
basically it is an estimate until the levels are right since there is no dip stick in either side. :huh

05-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
:huh what dont u understand? hes right about it...my honda dealer also said not to run the hp 85/80 red stuff b/c its designed for 2 stroke transmissions but I dont understand what the difference is? he told me to run GN4 10w-40 in my oil side & my transmission side but I dont know if hes right...:confused:

2004TRX450R
05-07-2004, 02:00 AM
what dont u understand? hes right about it...my honda dealer also said not to run the hp 85/80 red stuff b/c its designed for 2 stroke transmissions but I dont understand what the difference is? he told me to run GN4 10w-40 in my oil side & my transmission side but I dont know if hes right...:confused:

They obvioulsy don't know much about the trannys. They are just reading the book. The HP Trans fluid is good to run in the tranny. There is no difference between the tranny in a 450R and 250R in the make up of the tranny. Yes they have different gears and they are different but the make up is the same. Neither has engine oil running through it. You can run 10W/40 in both sides if you want. Just don't run the Moly stuff in the tranny. It isn't good for the clutch.

Hammer trx450r
05-07-2004, 04:23 AM
what dont u understand? hes right about it...my honda dealer also said not to run the hp 85/80 red stuff b/c its designed for 2 stroke transmissions but I dont understand what the difference is? he told me to run GN4 10w-40 in my oil side & my transmission side but I dont know if hes right...:confused:

i dont understand "basically it is an estimate untill the levels are right". estimate? more an exact

05-07-2004, 05:58 AM
well if you fill it up with too much it will still only squirt out a little letting you know you have enough in there.....so therfore it is kinda an estimate