PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure (PSI)

Florida400EX
05-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Ok, I just got my new tires all mounted up (MX holeshots on stock rims). On the tire, it says 15 while seating bead, and 10 MAX while riding. I haven't ridden it yet. I have the fronts at 13 and it seems a little low there. The backs are also at 13 and those seem a little low too. Are they suppse to be at 10, and run on low pressure? What do you guys run for MX?
Thanks!

EvilJester400EX
05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
It all depends on the track, if it's muddy then back them down to around 5, but if it's sandy type I run mine at 10psi. It really all depends on how you like your stuff setup, I guess. I know some guys that run them at 14psi in the rear no matter what. My fronts are at 12.

muff
05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
with my rear holeshots i usually run them a little softer (5psi) but i have 8" rims, with the 9" stock you'll want to run a little more psi, if i were you i'd run around 7-8, but take a small air tank with you to a practice track and mess around with it one day and find out what you like

Paul400ex2002
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I run 15psi in my front kendas all the time, no matter what. I run anywhere from 6-10 psi in my rear, but you can only run 6psi if you have beadlocks. I wouldn't go below about 8psi with 9" non beadlock rims, at least not if you're racing. What you want is maximum bite, without too much sidewall roll over. When your tires are running on the sidewalls you're not getting that much traction from your sidewall :blah:

shamisc
05-06-2004, 02:24 PM
I run kenda Klaw Mx and have 4 psi in the rear and 5 psi in the front. Those high tire pressures give a shotty ride!:eek2:

TGW_400ex
05-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I run kenda Klaw Mx and have 4 psi in the rear and 5 psi in the front. Those high tire pressures give a shotty ride!:eek2:

i agree w/ him why would you want them up more than 5psi?

Florida400EX
05-06-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm running 13 PSI all around. But I was also just riding on hard pack today. This saturday I'll lower it to around 10 PSI all around, and lower it little by little until I get this most bite.

Paul400ex2002
05-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by shamisc

I'm racing mx, that's why I run that high of tire pressure. My main sponsor, DFR, the owner Rudy used to race and he was as fast, faster in some cases, than kory ellis. That's what he has me run, and we vary the rear pressure by track conditions. Hard packed tracks, run a little higher pressure, muddy, loose terrain, run a little less.

Florida400EX
05-06-2004, 06:14 PM
ok, one more question. My left rear tire isn't holding air, but it's new. I got it mounted and they filled all my tires with air, but once I went to pick the up, I didn't notice it since there was no weight on them. So I figured, hey they might have forgotten, so I filled it with air with my compressor. I went riding, and it's out of air again. What might the problem be if it doesn't have a hole?

Paul400ex2002
05-06-2004, 07:09 PM
The tire might not be seated all the way on the rim. Try putting about 30 psi in it and see if it pops. If not, fill it with air, like 15psi or so, then take a spray bottle with a mixture of water and dish soap, about 50/50 or so will work fine, but it doesn't matter, as long as it has some soap in it. Take that and spray all over the tires, the beads, and also the valve stem. You're looking for any bubbles, etc, that form when the soapy water is sprayed on. You can also do the same thing if you have a bucket or something big enough to put the tire in, just fill it with water and add a little soap, and stick the tire in and turn it and look for any bubbles.

Make sure its seated first, then move on to the soap and water method.