PDA

View Full Version : Project: JUMP!

ATV_MAN
03-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Ok i need to know what is the best set up to jump is. Do i need bottom end mid or top in to jump good?

TRX_Thumper
03-18-2002, 04:19 PM
YOU NEED BETTER SHOCKS!!! Forget about power- some jumps its good to have low end to pull out of a corner fast and some you need more top but 1st upgrade yer shocks.

NJ300ex
03-18-2002, 04:49 PM
suspension and handling mods is what you need to jump better. what kind of bike do you have?

ATV_MAN
03-18-2002, 06:27 PM
Other than a better landing can shocks make u jump farther? If they can how? I dont see how they can do that.

ATV_MAN
03-18-2002, 06:29 PM
I have a stock 99 300 ex with a dg exhast pipe

optikid123
03-18-2002, 07:30 PM
i agree with the rest that you need new shocks
as for makin u jump farther
you will trust your machine more with better shocks that you will not break when you come down
you can preload (which you can do now)\
you will be able to adjust them to the types of jumping your doin so you will fly better
you can go faster

Nausty
03-18-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ATV_MAN
Ok i need to know what is the best set up to jump is. Do i need bottom end mid or top in to jump good?

Motor should be fine unless you are having trouble getting enough speed to clear it but skill helps too..... From what it sounds like you don't know much about jumping and you should just lay off the mods tell you need it unless you have money coming from every part of your body but then buying all the parts you don't need will probably end up being more of a crutch imo.

BANSHEEadam
03-18-2002, 10:30 PM
I take it you're a little new to the sport-quad industry? Well.. stay on here for a while, read all the posts, and learn--thats what I did. A year ago this time, I didn't even know what a 300ex was..I thought my friend's Big Bear was the coolest thing on the face of the earth! I've gained an unbelievable amount of knowledge from this site.. many thanks to Leo for making it.

Anyway, for now just ride the thing. You need to get good on it the way it is before you think about doing anything to it.
What you get when you replace stock shocks with aftermarket, is a better ride, and a softer landing. It doesn't necessarily make you jump farther. What it will do is LET you jump farther, and higher.
If you go out right now and hit a 60 foot double:
1. you got some balls,
and
2. you're probably going to break alot of things on your bike, and also yourself.
Aftermarket shocks give you the potential to hit those jumps, and not bottom out your quad and break something(as much:D).

And remember.. chassis over horsepower. (I didn't follow that exactly.. but I'm making up for it now:))

Hope that gives you the information you need.

And here is a picture of what happens when you jump a relatively small jump with stock shocks. See where the muffler is?

"BLAHH"300!!
03-18-2002, 11:45 PM
so your basically asking..whats the best way to set up for a jump, and land it without getting hurt right?

take it easy...if possible find a jump with a landing ramp...you need to find a little hill that's not too big but will put you up.
go slow over it to get used to it here's what i do....(let's say your gann jump a pile of dirt pushed up by a dozer)--(you can just about find those everywhere)
roll up to it in about 2nd or 3rd blip the throttle to see if you have enugh bottom end in that gear to make the bike kinda lift up in the front a little each time...right as the base of that pile of dirt goose it..don't pull back on the bars too hard on you'll land at too much of an angle...don't freak out and let off the gas half way up the thing or the front end will come up real high and the back end won't make it over...slammes the front end..(after your rear wheels are in the air you can let off the gas not really necissary to hold it open untill you hit the ground)..turn around and do it again....get used to that and go hunt down a nice, i'd say about a 5 foot hill at a nice angle...power up to it..hit it in about 4th keep on the gas untill your in the air and right before your back tire's hit give it gas again..yay.....get used to it....then open it up in about 5th (not neccisaraly on the same day you know..get comfortable with it first)....next week..power up to it in about 4th or what ever and right as the hill starts to go up. take all your weight and compress our shocks..(do it on the ground first so you understand what your doing)....compress your shocks as you go up the jump...the force of your speed and the incline of the hill should hold the shocks compressed untill you lieave the lip....and when you do...yee haww...let go and fly....i'm runnin' a 300ex with the same stock shocks and pipe as you...you can get about 5foot of air high and thats about the limit....i've been hitting a fat jump (fat for me anyway...too my bikes limit)..launching over 30 foot out and could prolly clear a quad and half stacked up.(high)..the landing's a bit ruff but you know..it's addictive....take your time be carefull have fun....have someone with you when you go for the larger one's just in case....try and land rear wheels first (you can land flat up to about 2/3 foot high) if your nose come down gas it hard....should leval out....if you start to come back too far...PULL IN THE CLUTCH (<--DON'T FORGET) and hit the rear brakes..there's not enugh time to do this on small jumps so just hold on...make sure you feet are center'd on the pegs before you leave the ramp.....buy you some nerf bars.....and a helmut.....i don't know what kinda experiance you have but i told you all i know

"BLAHH"300!!
03-18-2002, 11:58 PM
--{quote}--next week..power up to it in about 4th or what ever and right as the hill starts to go up. take all your weight and compress your shocks..--{quote}--

hey..if you compress the shocks to low on the face of the ramp and there's not enugh force to hold em there...they will unspring before you leave the lip and that could get ugly...classic endo....
so once again...take it slow till you know when to compress em'

this really won't help you untill you hit larger jumps but i'll tell you anyway....
...if the bike comes off at an angle (s/p? "BLAHH"!!) let's say it leans to the left in the air...(the left is lower than the right) turn your bars to the left and pull that side up...WARNING..get your wheels back streight before you hit..it's ok to land at an angel but it kinda hurt's your elbow joints a little
..if the rear end comes around in the air....well i havn't figure'd out a way to stop that yet...i'll get back to you...

:blah!!"BLAHH"!!:blah

Wired
03-19-2002, 08:18 AM
have you done anything else like BMX or ride dirt bikes or even snowmobiles??? i think riding bmx was teh best thing i ever did in my life. you learn so much when you ride that sport. you have no suspension, you pedal, its your fault if anything happens. when you ride trails with bmx (the trails that have like 10 jumps within 50 yards) you learn body positioning and all that good stuff. me and my brother would ride bmx like everyday after school. then one winter day we went down to the shed and our first quad, banshee was sitting in the corner. we both $hit ourselves that night. when the snow melted we rode that thing for days on end. then one day my brother is like why dont we jump with it? so we went to the shed got in our 4250 john deere loader and we started building jumps. our first jump was about 20 feet. by the end of that same day we had built our first 50 foot doubles. (pic on the bottom) i guess we both caught on right away because of our bmx background and i was a big time supercross fan at the time and watched every riders tip you could imagine. so with the pro tips and the bmx riding, the transition to jumping quads was very simple. we just got better and better till one day we got a trampoline, then we took an old bmx bike, took the tires off, taped up the sharp ends and started doing bmx tricks. why not try it on the quad we said. so we did and thats how we got as good as we are today at freestyle riding. well enough of my life story, im just letting ya know how we got pretty good at jumping. i think you guys should try bmx, you dont know how fun it is when you can jump 15 foot gaps on a pedal bike. :D sorry this was so long

03-19-2002, 11:28 AM
jumping is great the best kind of jump to learn on is a table top if you come up short then ohh well you come up short a 60ft double I hope your insurance is payed up

check out this table top

"BLAHH"300!!
03-19-2002, 02:14 PM
...riding bmx is fun...i never raced though i did have a kuahara that weighed nothing the seat on that thing was about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide not to sit on it was a 'justincaser' rins about an inch wide and tall bars were almost streight across slight bend to them...still got it..amma' let my kid ride it one day. it's hangin up in my closet upstairs 'took the wheels and bars off hung the frame and them up seperatly' (you know what i mean)
but i rode 'street' on a G.T. that was fun i sk8ed for a while got ok a that then snagged up the g.t. it' was on then. huchin over those rubbermaid garbage cans and stuff. nice handrail grinds never could land a tailwhip though i tried like ____ ! a little flat land trick, mainly just roll around with the skater's they'd find a rail to hit try and try some would make it most wouldn't i'd just nail it...hurts alot worse to wreck off a 15 foot 2 1/2 foot rail on a bike than it does on a sk8board peggs and pedles pokin up in ya' everywhere...get twisted up like a spring in there..right at the end i could hutch one of those rubbermaid garbage cans hit a bar spin and land it..sk8board i was alright at that...halfs were fun but not my style rather street sk8...never could land a kickflip but i could land an imposible 'go figure' big rail nose slides were what i liked there.....ooops is this exrider's or narleychat?

400MXer
03-19-2002, 06:37 PM
I agree with everyone else...if ya want to jump, work on suspension.

but if you must increase your power.....i say, try to increase it everywhere on the powerband. Jumps are always diff...some are after coming strait out of a corner....you'll need some low end torque to make the jump....other's are in the middle of a strait away and are 5th gear jumps...you'll need more top end power for that. it all depends on you, and how the jumps are.

personally, i'm a strong believer in torque....i like a torque monster. then you can gear it diff to get more top speed out of it.

ATV_MAN
03-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Well i am not planning on doing any changes to my chassis or shocks or anything beacause it costs to much .I guess i will have to stay with the little jumps.

Nausty
03-21-2002, 08:01 PM
http://forums.exriders.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=84916

if I had this in my back yard I would live out there. I have to drive 1 and a half hours to find jumps like that to practice my tricks and is all I do is do the jumps and stuff because I spend all week thinking about what i'm gonna try the next saturday and what jump i'm gonna clear.... god I love this sport.