PDA

View Full Version : Smoking EX

Dave83
05-04-2004, 08:56 PM
One of my buds that I race with has a 400EX that is pretty much stock.It does have a jet/silencer kit of some type.Problem is after an oil change it smokes some.Not terrible,but it does smoke.All the old oil has been drained completely and it is not overfilled.After a time or two of starting it up it quits and you cant make it smoke.The oil level doesnt change noticibly either.No great concern,just curious wtf this could be.

05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
he might be in need for a complete rebuild (is the smoke blue) if so that would be my guess

04'400ex'er
05-05-2004, 04:18 PM
It could be the rings or sometimes when you start a bike with an old muffler that hasent been cleaned, some of the suit will get hot and burn and cause it to smoke. I dunno about the oil change stuff though. Also, does he change it the wat the manual says to by filling up the oil resivor and then running it then adding more? He could not be getting oil to the rings after it has been drained for a few min causing it to smoke?

cletusEX
05-05-2004, 07:04 PM
What year is it? A lot of 400ex that have been ridden a good bit will smoke. Most of the ones that are still stock that I see at the races smoke a little bit.

chucked
05-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
What year is it? A lot of 400ex that have been ridden a good bit will smoke. Most of the ones that are still stock that I see at the races smoke a little bit.

I dont think age really matters, Mines an '03 but ive ridden the crap out of it almost everyday since this time last year and its time for me to get some rings.

Dave83
05-05-2004, 09:15 PM
00 or 01.This guy rides the @#$! out of this thing,but like I said, after the first few start ups after an oil change,You cant make it smoke.Like I said no big deal just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

ridesa02400EX
05-05-2004, 09:54 PM
as long as it stops i wouldnt really worry about it