PDA

View Full Version : Any YFZ Problems I should know?? May get one!

DESDAK4
05-04-2004, 08:37 PM
It's all in the title. If you guys know of anything I may need to know before buying a YFZ chim in. The faster the info comes the better.

Thanks,
Jay
BS Racing

05-04-2004, 08:39 PM
get a 450r

Got nads?
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
battery, swing-arm, front shock mounts, and I still like it better than my brothers 450r, but that's just personal opinion!

DESDAK4
05-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Those are all problems with the YFZ? I have rode a 450R and the bike is very nice but I am just not all that interested in the kick start deal.

Jay
BS Racing

YfzinJay
05-05-2004, 04:19 AM
Front shock mounts? I've never heard of that one. Maybe 3 swingers have been posted with an "X" shaped crack, but that was under race conditions. The battery problem was explained. The YFZ battery was choosen because it is a race quad and uses a 13.5v power so most 12.5v chargers do not work with this battery. No real problems IMO.

SickSixD R
05-05-2004, 07:45 AM
The only things i have seen bad so far is

1.Swing Arms
2.Shift Cam
3.Battery

cryan54935
05-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Don't forget the coolant leak.

Although it only happens under 30 degrees.

I'm sure Yamaha will get their head out of there a** eventually and come up with a solution.

nifty450
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
my parking break quit working, and i have heard baout the battery messing up. thats all i have heard. great bike,, smokes the 450r. jumbo747, he didnt ask what kinda bike to get, just wanted to know anything bad about the YFZ

Shuee_400
05-05-2004, 09:25 AM
it prolly just needs adjusted......get a block off you dont need it anyways

DVS_Freestyler
05-05-2004, 10:18 AM
yeah just tighten the bolt mine did the same thing on the parking brake.. you guys must be smokin crack the only thing the 450r is good for is fat poeple.. its smooth riding till you start hittin doubles with it, it rides so loose it feels like your going to lose it in every corner, lets just say im so glad i didnt wait for honda to try and match my YFZ :macho but everyone has there likings, alls i got to say is wooop wooop try and catch up!

derk

FASTeR
05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Well I wont bash the 450r even tho personally i dont like it.I have had my yfz since labor day, and so far it hasnt had one problem, other than me leaving the key on running the battery down, a trickle charger from shumacher or a battery tender will charge it up just fine, I think some people actually use a charger too much. My cousin also left his key on last week, pull started it ran it for 10 minutes, shut it off and it fired right back up. The battery is a 70.00 fix if you want to upgrade to say a cbr600 battery like duvall uses. I bent a front a-arm and shock, only after having a head on collision with someone going to wrong direction at a local ride area, You can gusset them and they will hold up just fine. The swingarms that have cracked have indeed been in mx conditions which i dont know of any stock swingarm capable of handling the abuse. I have seen repeated bashing on other portions of the forum especially on poor starting, yet I watched the GT thunder crew push Johnny G's z400 down a hill at Sparta to get it fired. If you push the throttle while you attemp to start it you may as well disconnect the battery, the case wont crank but the starter will get hot and the battery will start dieing. I have abused the tranny on my yfz and no problems so far, plenty of clutchless shifts etc. I have heard others complain of weak clutches, yet slipping it under full power on steep hills with my fatass on the back dosent seem to want to kill mine.. I would highly recommend the yfz, I have owned about every sport quad but the 450r, and have ridden and worked others enough to be confident in my knowledge on this subject. If you take care of the yfz it will take care of you. You abuse it and dont take care of it, it may not. Ride the yfz and the 450r and make a choice, if you ask this same question at yfzcentral and bluetraxx you'll hear different opinions, I know some people say they love the yfz, but switched to the 450r because of image. I would rather push the silver button and hope for the best, then have my muddy foot slip off the kicker when its 90 degrees out and i have already been racing for an hour and a half.

nifty450
05-05-2004, 03:01 PM
hey shuee 400,
where are you in indiana, and how do u like that V-Force, my dad is thinkin bout getting one?

yfzmike
05-06-2004, 06:19 AM
I have had my yfz since september and ride every weekend at rausch creek. Knock on wood , I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

nifty450
05-06-2004, 08:37 AM
YES the YFZ is very god, im riding Saturday at Haspin!

yellowrider
05-06-2004, 06:27 PM
lol

here the two sides of the story

honda cons
less power
bad handling
tippy
kickstart
light front end

honda pros
plush ride
ride wheelies forever

yamaha pro
power
handling
lower center of gravity
hill climbing sob

cons
battery

noticed i dint say anything about jumping because i dont jump other peoples fourwheeler but mine jumps well

nifty450
05-11-2004, 08:44 AM
well said yellowrider!

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Not flaming....But look here!:(

http://www.paatving.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=7127&STARTPAGE=1

:eek2:

southbeach14
06-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
It's all in the title. If you guys know of anything I may need to know before buying a YFZ chim in. The faster the info comes the better.

Thanks,
Jay
BS Racing

you need to change the shifter becasue it is too small and cheap and also change the bars because they sweep back to far.

southbeach14
06-02-2004, 06:56 PM
just put on my new alba shifter and it works a lot better and i don't have to worry about it breaking, it was only 50 bucks compared to 93 dollars for the gyt-r

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
The thread in the link I posted above is growing..........Some of the stuff makes it known that the YFZ was brought to you by the same people that gave us the Raptor!:p

Hondas may not be the fastest when they come out of the crate, but Dependability is something you can count on with them.....IMO.:cool:

jb500ex
06-02-2004, 08:13 PM
im still trying to figure out where all you yammie guys think the yfz has more power. i ride with a yfz everytime i ride and don't see it. also all the times i have been too rausch i have poassed way more yfz's then have passed me and i am not a expert motocrosser by any means. my brother has a pipe in his yfz and that isn't even that much faster. and their is alot more hiding under the r then the yfz

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
im still trying to figure out where all you yammie guys think the yfz has more power. i ride with a yfz everytime i ride and don't see it. also all the times i have been too rausch i have poassed way more yfz's then have passed me and i am not a expert motocrosser by any means. my brother has a pipe in his yfz and that isn't even that much faster. and their is alot more hiding under the r then the yfz
Tell him to pull off the airbox lid and rejet for that.......Nice gains!:cool:

Scottie Mac
06-02-2004, 08:29 PM

Maybe because YFZs dominate local and national scene racing. (at least in the everyday non pro classes) And if your brother's YFZ didn't gain much when adding a pipe, he doesn't know how to jet, period. I ride with a lot of TRXs, I think they are nice machines, but not as powerfull as a YFZ when properly set up. Take a YFZ, add a pipe, cam mod, rejet and a filter and you have a national ready motor. To get the TRX up to the same level you have to add a piston, cdi, carb, pipe, filter, jet, gearing, etc. It just takes a lot more cash to get one up to speed. Why do you think Honda offers a 300 buck hop up straight from the dealer?????

If you want to use racing as an example as to which is the fastest (which is retarded, riders win races, not quads) look at the pro classes in both GNC and GNCC racing. Nearly every rider NOT PAID TO RIDE OTHERWISE PICKED the YFZ as there quad of choice. Why? Becuase it is the best "platform" to build a racer.

I am sure you are fast at Rausch, but no quad passed any other quad with out a rider behind the bars.

Scott

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Ballance had his YFZ bumped up to a 470 by GT Thunder!:macho

Woody_YFZ
06-02-2004, 11:53 PM

I own both and the Yamaha is a little faster, but nothing to argue about, it's the handling and suspension on the YFZ that I prefer.

As far as the question asked:

I rent out ATV's, so you know they get abused. The Honda has had no issues except complaints of the kick start and the gearing. All three of my YFZ's have had coolant leak out of the weep hole, other than that have had no issues whatsoever.

WhiteBros400ex
06-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by yfzmike
I have had my yfz since september and ride every weekend at rausch creek. Knock on wood , I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

Hey i have ridden there the last 4 weeks in a row i was on a red 400ex with race cut plastics tag bars, red and black rear bead locks with turfs just wondering if i seen up up there or not or you have seen me.

I would go with the 450r i rode a YFZ450 with a gytr pipe and i liked it and thought it rode good then i rode my friends 450r with a spraks pipe and i loved the thing had much better handling and i love not having a battery. I just got my 450r on June 1st and i only rode it one day which was today all day and im ridding tomorrow all day and i love the thing so far jumps very nice and smooth and easy, handles perfect in trails on on jumps, i havnt had a problem with my frotn end being to light on mine yet, i watched my friends 450r when it was stock beat the YFZ with the gytr kit on it but then again its all ridder but this kids a pretty decent ridder he was jumping all the jumps we jump as good as us sometimes better. I mean its all up to you and there is no way you can go wrong with either one i have just been a honda fan scence i got my 400ex and i wanted a 450r when then came out but i wanted to ride one first cause i was about to get a YFZ and then rode the 450r and it made me change my mind so the best way would be to ride both and see how you the hadnling and what not of both quads.

Like i said before you cant go wrong with either one:D :)

Scottie Mac
06-03-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
I own both and the Yamaha is a little faster, but nothing to argue about, it's the handling and suspension on the YFZ that I prefer.

As far as the question asked:

I rent out ATV's, so you know they get abused. The Honda has had no issues except complaints of the kick start and the gearing. All three of my YFZ's have had coolant leak out of the weep hole, other than that have had no issues whatsoever.

Good lord, I can only imagine what your insurance premiums must be renting out ATVs. A great idea, though. Although, I would be worried about hmmmmm, how do I say this, idiots, hurting themselves or the machinery.

Nice, honest post by the way. We could use more of these.

Scott

jb500ex
06-03-2004, 06:38 PM
scottie
fact is the honda wasn't out early enough for the race season, honda is beating yamaha in the gnc's, and if you talk to a mechanic for a top level racer they will tell you the bike does make a difference. all the top guys are pretty close, some better then others but a better machine does help. in the amatuer ranks a better rider will win on anything. all this a good guy will win on anything is bull****, because everyone else is just as good. my brother does have his airbox lid off. and you yammie guys talk like you have won every championship on this bike, have you won one yet.

spincr4hire
06-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Gust is winning on a wimpy Z400:macho

RIDER11X
06-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Gust is winning on a wimpy Z400:macho

You know, I can't tell you how many people were shocked at the performance that Gust's Z400 was putting out at High Point GNC, last year. He had TC Racing building his motor, and that quad was pulling away from every other machine up those long hills. I can't wait to see the Suzuki 450, as they got to look at Honda and Yamaha before releasing theirs..... :eek:

LTandRaptorider
06-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Some of the stuff makes it known that the YFZ was brought to you by the same people that gave us the Raptor!:p

Oh, go back out to the garage and look through the Grizzy brochure again! :eek: :p

RIDER11X
06-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Oh, go back out to the garage and look through the Grizzy brochure again! :eek: :p

Naa, I decided that would make your life too easy. Someone has to make you cuss when you ride.....that is when you finally do ride!:D

Scottie Mac
06-03-2004, 09:17 PM
scottie
fact is the honda wasn't out early enough for the race season, honda is beating yamaha in the gnc's, and if you talk to a mechanic for a top level racer they will tell you the bike does make a difference. all the top guys are pretty close, some better then others but a better machine does help. in the amatuer ranks a better rider will win on anything. all this a good guy will win on anything is bull****, because everyone else is just as good. my brother does have his airbox lid off. and you yammie guys talk like you have won every championship on this bike, have you won one yet.

JB,

Don't give me the "Honda wasn't out early enough" crap. When the YFZ came out last year, it took Ellis and Alba less than a month to win a GNC race.

If the bike makes such a big difference, then I guess the Z400 is the greatest quad around, because Gust is handing Farr and all the Yamaha guys their asses.

Not winning anything? You might want to do a little research before you make incorrect comments. With the exception of Yokley (ON A SUZUKI) all the top guys are riding YFZs, Ballance (points leader) Borich, Smiley, Duvall. Just the facts man. (even though I believe it is a lot more rider than quad, but you tried to argue otherwise)

As far as GNC, I was talking about amature classes. Farr is tied with Natalie for second place in points, but you know as well as I do that Farr could be doing just as good on a Yamaha or Suzuki. In fact, he won couple of Nationals last year ona Suzuki, something he has not doen with his Factory Honda ride.

I never said the TRX was a bad or slow quad, in fact in stock condition they are very close. But the YFZ responds MUCH better than the TRX in terms of power with a few simple mods. Like I said, to get the TRX to respond in the same manner, it would cost you twice as much.

Scott

LTandRaptorider
06-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Naa, I decided that would make your life too easy. Someone has to make you cuss when you ride.....that is when you finally do ride!:D

Ouch... you're the second person to say that. :(

Hey, I rode 2 weeks ago with you! Me cuss? what the fug ya talking about? :confused: I think you out did me last year when you flipped your 400 backwards on the little hill-climb, and landed upside down in the creek! :eek: I go running over to once again save your sizable hide... to hear... That's it, I'm f***ing done! I bent my f***ing steering stem... f***ed up the f***ing plastic and the f***ing lights... and I thought I was good at making complete sentences outta the F word! :D I'll get the Raptor out again, maybe this weekend. Now mark your calendar... I'll have the LT running in 2 weeks, racing in 3. ;) My American Express card has a 20k limit, lots of room yet! :eek:

Scottie Mac
06-04-2004, 06:53 AM

My American Express card has a 20k limit, lots of room yet! :eek:

Ahhhhhh, spoken like a true ATV racer!!! LOL

Scott

RIDER11X
06-04-2004, 08:29 AM

Hey, I rode 2 weeks ago with you! Me cuss? what the fug ya talking about? :confused: I think you out did me last year when you flipped your 400 backwards on the little hill-climb, and landed upside down in the creek! :eek: I go running over to once again save your sizable hide... to hear... That's it, I'm f***ing done! I bent my f***ing steering stem... f***ed up the f***ing plastic and the f***ing lights... and I thought I was good at making complete sentences outta the F word! :D I'll get the Raptor out again, maybe this weekend. Now mark your calendar... I'll have the LT running in 2 weeks, racing in 3. ;) My American Express card has a 20k limit, lots of room yet! :eek:

:devil:

jb500ex
06-04-2004, 05:34 PM
ive done my research, and i said hasn't won anything. the gncc's are the yamaha's only hope this year. susuki will get the motocross, honda will get the tt, and won the staduim cross. as far as gust he was always a good rider but never won until he startyed riding suzuki, so yes i think that bike works best for him. and as far as ellis winning so quick what took balance so long he struggled for a little while on the yfz. and you better do some research because the honda can be made faster, go check the drag quads, the yammies can't hang with the r's.

4StrokinJay
06-04-2004, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't say Ballance struggled for awhile unless you consider his coming in 2nd to Yokley by 1:33 at Texas. Otherwise I think his 66 point lead speaks for itself. I wish I had an answer to this thread though because I will be buying a new bike soon and I'm not sure which one....Honda or Yamaha?

Scottie Mac
06-04-2004, 06:29 PM
ive done my research, and i said hasn't won anything. the gncc's are the yamaha's only hope this year. susuki will get the motocross, honda will get the tt, and won the staduim cross. as far as gust he was always a good rider but never won until he startyed riding suzuki, so yes i think that bike works best for him. and as far as ellis winning so quick what took balance so long he struggled for a little while on the yfz. and you better do some research because the honda can be made faster, go check the drag quads, the yammies can't hang with the r's.

Whatever helps you sleep at night there big guy.

Gust never won before this year? Gust is a multi year National Champion, all the back into the late 90s.

Ballance taking sooo long? He came in second at the forst round and has won everything since. If that is "taking long" I think he is doing OK.

We can argue racing all you want, but this year, you are going to lose. Gust, Farr, Jones, Natalie are just better than everyone else int he pro class, like I said, they could all switch bikes and still be doing just as good. Look at the non pro classes, you know, the ones that normal everyday people like you and I ride in, the YFZ dominate.

WOW! The only FACTORY BACKED rider in the TT class is winning, what an accomplishment. Besides, ustil Farr beats SHane Hitt, he hasn't done anything in my book. That would be like someone bragging about winning a GNCC when Balance was out of the race. Besides, NO TOP PROs run TT, and with Hitt out, is is boring.

You have your opinion, I have mine. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Thats called "maturity"

Scott

Scottie Mac
06-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 4StrokinJay
I wouldn't say Ballance struggled for awhile unless you consider his coming in 2nd to Yokley by 1:33 at Texas. Otherwise I think his 66 point lead speaks for itself. I wish I had an answer to this thread though because I will be buying a new bike soon and I'm not sure which one....Honda or Yamaha?

Jay,

Don't base your future purchase on anything you read on the internet. Half of what you hear is complete speculation. There are too many 13 years old prouling the net to get a decent, honest opinion. Do yourself a favor. RIde both and decide for yourself. That way the ONLY person who matters will make the decision, YOU.

Scott

PS

They are both VERY nice machines. I really don't think you can do "wrong" with either.

jb500ex
06-04-2004, 06:34 PM
the first year gust won he was on the suzuki, at that time it was just a dirtbike motor. and for balance a second place is struggling. what did it take him 4 races on the yfz too win, thats struggling for him. go back to last year when he strated too ride the yfz 4strokinj

Scottie Mac
06-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Balance raced a hybrid 250r, a Z and a YFZ last year. He raced the YFZ once, the Z twice and the hybrid the other races. I can't believe you are trying to make a point saying someone was struggling with second place finishes. And the ones he came in second, he was behind Borich on a full Roll powervlave R. Man, he should have just quit right there. LOL

And, sorry to have to correct you AGAIN, but Doug Gust won the Nationals in 1999, well before he started ridng his hybrid DRZ.

Scott

PS
Before you try to argue with me about Gust, go to his website, his profile explains it in clear english his winnings over the years.

jb500ex
06-04-2004, 07:09 PM
went too his site. i thought he won his first on the suzuki but i guess not. did you notice he was riding a ski-doo, thats not what a factory suzuki guy should do. but back to my original point from the beginning ive ridden the yfz more then my r, because my brother has had it for a year and i do not see where it is faster. after reading all the early stuff on the r i was going too cancel my order and get the yfz, i ended up taking the r and i am shocked on how everyone is dogging it. its much better then i expected, and after everyone kept saying how much faster the yamaha was i just don't see it. i like the width of the yfz, i like the seat, motor, and placement off the footpegs better on the r. i'm taller and felt a little too cramped on the yfz, it felt like my old 300ex. i do like electric start much better also, although my brother dnf 2 out of 3 harescrambles this year with dead batteries. so like you said we'll agree to disagree, thats why they make so many different models. 1 for everyone

Scottie Mac
06-04-2004, 07:16 PM
JB,
I guess Suzuki can't get too pissed at Gust for riding a Ski Doo, they don't make a sled. But, I am surprized they haven't asked him to take it off of his site. Wierd.

Like I said, both are great machines. We should all be happy that we have the choices we have. Hopefully, when Suzuki brings out their new 450, it will be even harder to choose, the more options, the better.

Scott

PS
JB,
Are you coming to VA for the GNCC? I might ride down to check it out if I don't have a mx race that day.

jb500ex
06-04-2004, 07:19 PM
arctic cat uses suzuki motors

jb500ex
06-04-2004, 07:21 PM
and yes me and my brother will be there to race. if you go too race coverage click the rausch am, then go too page 5 the top pic is me and my brother. so if you see us stop by