PDA

View Full Version : Heli-Coil Kit

E400X
05-04-2004, 06:36 PM
The bottom bolt on my Case Saver is completly stripped and I want to fix it with a heli-coil, but I have few questions first before I go buy the wrong stuff.

1) Where can I buy a Heli-Coil Kit (Not an extremely expensive one)? Do most auto parts stores carry them? Where would be the cheapest place to find one at?

2) Can someone explain Thread Pitch to me and how do i determine what the thread pitch is of a bolt or bolt hole? Do I need to know this for a heli-coil kit?

3) What other information do I need to know before i go buy a heli-coil kit so I don't buy the wrong one?

4) How difficult is installing a Heli-Coil if you have never done it before?

Thanks for the help

jerry-89-250R
05-04-2004, 07:34 PM
there fairly easy too install, auto-zone has them and i'm sure other big names too. you'll need too know what size bolt your using, most likely it's a 6mm. just be sure too get the metric kit. it helps too use loc-tite on the outside of the heli=coil when installing it

R3Concepts
05-04-2004, 11:31 PM
The case saver bolts should be 6mm 1.0 thread. Like Jerry said use loctite(red) on the outside of the heli-coil. Kit is self-explanatory. Should come with a drill bit, tap, inserts and a insert tool. Dont forget the snap the end off of the heli-coil AFTER you thread it in with the tool.

big-guy
05-05-2004, 03:20 AM
You might look into thread inserts (Keenserts) as an alternative. Same basic theory, drill and tap hole larger, but no special tools required. I just put about a dozen of em into my brother's xr.

quad_62
05-05-2004, 12:15 PM
if i remember right, the size of the 6mm helicoil i bought was M6 or 6M.....one of the two. i used one in a 6mm bolt for my head cover and it works great. dont forget to break the tab off- i ruined the threads on a bolt with the tab since i forgot to take it off.

E400X
05-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replys. I will go check autozone or pepboys to see if they have a metric kit. I just didn't want to spend alot for the kit since I am only getting it for 1 bolt. Also i didn't know there is a standard thread pitch for different size bolts. Thanks