PDA

View Full Version : Great Sand Dunes Monument and Preserve

InsAyneROostin
05-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Look at these GORGEOUS pics of the greatest sand dunes we'll never be able to touch...damned treehuggers. Anyway, I stumbled onto this site by accident and thought i'd share these absolutely SEXY pictures of the biggest dunes in north america. Enjoy what you can never have..:huh :eek2: :eek: :mad: :( :cuss: :cuss: http://www.nps.gov/grsa/resources/photos_dunes.htm

InsAyneROostin
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
No replies? no one thinks that these dunes are absolutely gorgeous? hmm. looks like some folks got some 'splainin ta do. anyways. strike up a convo on here about the dunes!

nicky slee
05-05-2004, 08:06 PM
DUDE, The razor on the chinese wall is g-narl :eek2: So how are the dunes this year in oregon havn't been able to make it down?

Dunesurfer
05-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Nice:) We should be able to ride them all

trx440
05-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Been there, climbed that. They say it's the biggest [as in tallest] but Sand Mountain @ Little Sahara Utah sure seems bigger. The Cinders in AZ look bigger too.

I wouldn't want to be the first one on those dunes. They have some nasty ridgebacks on them and the sand is very loose.

They allowed dune buggies and motorcycles on them until the late 70's when the National Parks took over administration of the site.

Alot of families use that place. I've been there twice. Bad things would happen if motorized vehicles were allowed there now. Glamis/Gordon's Well/Buttercup is big enough for me.

InsAyneROostin
05-11-2004, 11:54 PM
What do you mean bad things would happen if motorized activity started there? I don't get it?? Maybe i'm stupid.:confused: :confused:

trx440
05-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Far too many pedestrians there. They are all over the dunes. Alot of Sandboarders too.

Regarding dunes, think of the places we have to ride now versus where we are not permitted to ride, we are doing ok.

Moses Lake, WA - yes
Oregon coast - yes
St Anthonys, ID - yes
Little Sahara, UT - yes
Coral Pink, UT - yes
Rock Springs, WY - yes
Walden, CO - yes
Great Sand Dunes, CO - no
pismo, CA - yes
Sand mtn, NV - yes
Dumont, CA - yes
Kelso, CA - no
Eureka, CA - no
Amargosa, NV - yes
Imperial, CA - yes
Hot Wells, AZ - yes
The Cinders, AZ - yes
White Sands, NM - no
Mescalero, NM - yes
Little Sahara, OK - yes
Indiana dunes, - no
Warren Dunes, MI - no
Silver Lake, MI - yes
Sleeping Bear, MI - no

That's pretty good. We just have to keep what we have open.

hondaexryda
05-30-2004, 04:42 PM
tr440, have you been to those locations, if so what would you say about coral pink,utah and armagosa,nv ? i want to check out both because i live in vegas and thier both close

trx440
05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I have not ridden at either. I was suppossed to be at Coral Pink this weekend. I just got back from a convention in Vegas and thought I should stay home with the family.

From what I have heard and read, Coral Pink is fun, beautiful and small. It's also up @ 6000ft so watch your jetting. It's @ 2000 acres of rideable dunes which is pretty small by out west standards.

Amargosa from what I understand is similar to Dumont except far less popular. it's much closer to Vegas too.

allmixedup047
06-05-2004, 09:25 PM
yeah ive been to the great sand dunes, and its totaly bad. you cant even think about going into the heart of the dunes out there because you have to walk it. and there is a lot of turrist. alot of people go out there to fly kites,:rolleyes: , dont ask why because you can fly a kite anywhere and not get pelted with sand, but people choose to get pelted with sand and have there arms yanked off there bodies, its whatever floats your boat. but the dunes out there are huge and would be an absolute wonderfull place to ride, ive been wanting to ride out there since 1992 when i went out there. but us duners do have it alright, although the dunes are few and far between we still can ride on most of them, and just think if they wanted to be a-holes they could shut them all down and we would have no more dunes. but i would be on the front lines of a riot:devil: