PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell how many disks?

BiggerRed 400ex
05-03-2004, 11:21 PM
I have a 400EX and just got my WB E series slip on.... but the darn instructions dont give you any guidelines except for "12 disks gave us the best overall performance" OK, well what were the conditions???? I live at 5500 feet and have already rejetted, removed airbox lid, removed choke, but im not sure on the DISK/JET combination that might work best. ANYONE with a similar setup at a similar ALTITUDE???
Thanks

04'400ex'er
05-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Count em'

BiggerRed 400ex
05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
i know how many are on there..... but there arenot any guidlines for different disks at different altitudes. I dont want to risk running the thing lean and wreakin' something but i dont want to run fat b/c i'll get powerloss... any direction on this would be appreciated

hondarider2006
05-04-2004, 11:52 AM
The more disks you have, the more top end and leaner it will be. Removing disks will give you more bottom end, and it will be richer. Also, more disks will be louder:cool:

F-16Guy
05-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Adding discs will make it flow more. If you also remove the airbox lid, it may lean the mixture a little and flow better, but it's not a good substitute for proper jetting. Those discs cost a lot more than jets, too. I noticed in your sig it says "stage 2 re-jet", I'm guessing that this is a DynoJet kit or similar. The fact that it says "stage 2" does not necessarily mean you're going to have more power, you need to jet for your specific mods. My advice would be to leave your E-Series at 12 discs (stock) and start working backwards on main jet size until you find the best power. You can also try raising the clip on the needle one position to lean the mid-range out a bit. If you're in Prescott, don't expect to ever get the same power as you would at lower elevation. All the jetting and pipe changes in the world won't compensate for the loss in air density. You must be at ERAU, huh?

BiggerRed 400ex
05-04-2004, 12:30 PM
YUP.... ERAU gettin' a degree in Aero. Sci. ........ I know i would never expect to get the same power up here but i know jetting is real fussy so i was just seein what other people might recommend as a starting point..............takin' the carb off to rejet is a pain, so i would only like to try and do it once or twice..... yes it is a dynojet kit.

F-16Guy
05-04-2004, 01:01 PM
The jetting they recommend is pretty rich. Even with my 11:1 416, stage 1 HotCam, WB E-Series w/16 discs, and K&N filter with vented airbox, I'm only running a DJ160 main. When my bike was pretty much stock like yours, I ran the DJ142 main and no airbox lid in the higher altitutdes. That actually falls into the stage 1 catagory, so you see my point about jetting for application. You shouldn't be taking off the carb to change the main jet. Just turn off the gas, drain the float bowl by turning the flat blade screw on the bottom left side of the bowl CCW, and remove the plug on the bottom with a 17mm end wrench. Once that is done, you should be able to get a 1/4" socket with a flat blade bit in there to replace the jet (I just break it loose, then remove it with my fingers). You may also want to move the breather hose out of the way. What is Aeronautical Science? Professional Aviation is a pilot, right? Are you getting into engineering, or management, or something else?

BiggerRed 400ex
05-05-2004, 12:02 AM
thanks for the help... yea Aeronautical Science is the "professional name" for professional pilot degree. Just getting my degree to become a commercial pilot someday.......DO you go to Riddle? if so (or if not) have you seen a guy riding around town on a red 400ex? thats me!

F-16Guy
05-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Nope, I'm a little South of you. I live out by Luke AFB; I'm an aircraft mechanic there (I'm an ART- civilian and reservist). I thought about trying to go to ERAU, but I'm a little too far into my career to start over now. They do offer an A&P course on base, so I may do that (partly for the education and partly for the G.I. Bill money). Have you thought about the Air Force at all? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing it, but there are definitely benefits to flying for the Air Force. Your transition to commercial flying would be easier (especially if you flew heavies), and you could pretty much skip the crappy, low paying jobs on your way up. It's not for everyone, but it's been pretty good to me.

BiggerRed 400ex
05-05-2004, 01:13 AM
I know where LukeAFB is, Riddle does have an open mechanic slot up here too. The only thing with the AF is that they want a 14 year commitment and they wont guarantee you a pilot slot. I have considered the military (seriously), and found that it just doesn't quite fit me. Although very respectable. If i did go AF i would do everything in my power to fly the A-10. THAT IS ONE BAD ***** plane!................ tomorrow is my first test ride with the new exhaust on the ol' 400.