PDA

View Full Version : D23 first Harescramble of 2004: Monticello

PhilMoore
05-03-2004, 06:16 PM
May 2, 2004 Monticello MN

The first district 23 Harescramble race was in Monticello Minnesota on May 2, 2004.

The day was perfect for racing. The temp was cool for spectators, but racing was about ideal. There was a dry breeze to help keep the goggles clear, and the riders cool. The course is approximately 11 miles, mostly in woods. The entire course was rough, except for about 3/4 mile of TT or “flat track” style section laid out on a cornfield. This section contained many corners, including some highspeed sweepers, and one large jump with a flat landing. The TT section was extremely dusty, to the point of causing a serious hazard to riders and their lungs. The rest of the course was very tight woods in most places, with a few stretches that would allow for a pass if you could handle the roughness. At one point, in a meadow area with young Norway pines, there was a small double jump. I did not try it, and I didn’t see anybody else try it. There was a side trail around it. Another point of interest was a dual route water crossing. The shorter route through the creek was about 2 feet deep, the longer route was about 6 inches deep, and had metal grating laid out on the bottom. Overall I enjoyed the track immensely, except for the cornfield section. There were numerous bottlenecks with trees close enough that my rear tires would both rub as I passed between them. I saw at least one DS650 on the course, and I really feel sorry for him!

My race did not go very well however. I chose two hour duration quad B, and there were 26 machines lined up. We were the second wave, and when I saw the catastrophic dust cloud the 13 quad first wave kicked up, I seriously thought about letting everyone else go, and taking off after the dust settled! I went for it however, and before I even got to the first turn, I bumped, or got bumped by somebody. My wheel went up on his and I spun completely in a 180. I saw a 450R coming at me and gunned it through the fence on the side of the track. I was able to get turned around and roll again. It was a miserable ride to get to the woods. After turning around, I got behind another 450R. He had a tail light, with an active brake light, which came in very handy! Thankfully, he appeared to know which way he was going. At some point, he tangled with a YFZ450 and I snuck around them. I made it through the 10 mile wood section without hitting a tree. Many riders got hung up, and there were quite a few broken quads at the end of the race. I was able to hop logs or do what was necessary to get around some of the hang-ups. Overall, I thought I did well on the first lap. After passing the checkpoint, you enter the farm field again. They had set up a medium jump with a flat landing after the first turn. This was bypassed at the start. Now we had a choice, to take the jump, and shave a few seconds, or bypass it. I chose to jump on the second lap. This was a foolish move because I did not scout the jump before the race. I hit it too slow, and slammed into the back side of the divot they created when they pushed up the jump. This bottomed my rear suspension bad enough to sever my rear brake line. I didn’t realize it until I charged into the next tight corner, at which point I over shot and went through the ribbon. I ran the next two laps on front brakes only, which by the way seems to force you to ride a little smoother in my opinion. I over shot one corner in the woods when I forgot I didn’t have rear brakes, and hit a tree. I had to hop off and drag the quad back to get out of there, so I lost about half a minute. On the third lap, I let three of the utility quads pass me. I tried to keep up, but man, they were fast on those behemoths! On the fourth and final lap, I was trying to keep up with a Suzuki I had let by me in the woods. I was doing ok until he chose the big jump, and I took the detour. I had him in my dusty sights, and was gaining on him, until I got sideways in a high speed sweeper. I tried the non existent back brakes (what a nasty habbit!) and lost it. The quad spunout, grabbed, and flipped me off. I landed directly on my shoulder. I hopped up to flip the quad back on its wheels and realized something was wrong. I got it straight, and started, but I couldn’t lift my left arm up to adjust my goggles. I sat there for a minute contemplating whether I should try going another 10 miles through pretty rough trail, or DNFing. Finally, after about 3 quads passed me, I decided I didn’t want to try it. At that point I could hardly squeeze the clutch. I putted back to the truck and called it a day.

PhilMoore
05-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Smoother corner.

Luecker
05-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you had a better race than me. I was the one on the orange Z400 on the side of the track missing the rear tire. Lost the axle nut. Was my first race but I am going to take a mulligan on that one.

You going to Arkansaw?

Luecker
05-03-2004, 06:44 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/paf8772d77e48bd12f7e02ec530e608df/f8cb771f.jpg

PhilMoore
05-03-2004, 07:27 PM
My wife is a shutterbug and she got a pic of you loading it on the trailer. :)
Out of respect, and fear of getting my arse kicked, I won't post it! :D Better luck next time. That was a rough course.

Pick of the last wave: (C quad)

PhilMoore
05-03-2004, 07:36 PM
My fancy aluminum airbox is not compatible with the Elka 400EX long travel setup...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ed=1080279420000&item=2468308174&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOT%3AUS%3A3

foxracingpredat
05-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Luecker
Sounds like you had a better race than me. I was the one on the orange Z400 on the side of the track missing the rear tire. Lost the axle nut. Was my first race but I am going to take a mulligan on that one.

You going to Arkansaw?

I'll be at Arkansaw racing in Quad B! Sounds like that minnesota track was interesting. How big was the rider turnout and how many do you think will be coming to Arkansaw?

quadnice
05-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Arkansaw should be pretty FULL, for the B & C classes
It's a combined race w/ D-16 & I think there was only a few A riders that made it last year from D-16

D-23 Opener @ Monticello was A BLAST!!! Course was whooped out bigtime!!! As it always is, unless someday they ran us B4 the bikes.
I took 1st in A
Snogasm got 1st in B
Komatsu kid got 2nd in C
My g/f got 1st in womens

buildinitnow
05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
I was at monticello to. I started in the B class. I was tied for first going into the first turn with a 450R. He went too... wide and I went inside, man it was nice and clear up in first. The 450R was a lot faster than my 400ex was, because he caught me in the next straightaway and took me on the inside. I followed him to the next turn and he went way wide again, approximately 30 yards to wide. That was my chance and i went inside to be the first one into the woods in the B class. I checked out for a while until i caught the A guys approximately 1/2 a lap into it. I passed 6 of the A guys. I then finally got around a pimped blue 400ex A rider that would'nt let me buy. As soon as i got around him, the next corner i went to wide and hit a tree just to the left of my front bumper. The reason for this is because the motorcycles were going to the right of the tree and quads were going to the left. I misjudged the opening by a foot and hit the tree trying to go the motorcycle route. I got off pulled the ex back and the TRX 450R that was in second passed me along with 5( i believe) A guys( the pimped 400ex that i just passed made a wise crack at me for hitting the tree when he passed me, I just laughed at him when i passed him again!!!). I kept in eye contact with the 450R for the next two laps, but then i set my comfortable pace. I got 5th place overall and 2nd in the B class on a 400ex with a t-4 slip on, works front shocks and razr tires. Wow i had a good race, and i will be at arkansaw the 16th. I belive the ATV SPORT guys were at Monticello to. The one guy was riding a YFZ with elkas, an extended steering stem, and some other trick parts. The only reason i know this is because i read that they would be attending some D23 races with there yfz with elka shocks in ATV SPORT MAGAZINE. So when i seen the yfz with elkas and atv sport stickers all over it i knew it must be them. The only other B guy that i saw once i got into the woods was the TRX450R. He set a faster pace than i did when he passed me and he came in 4th overall 1st in B class and 32 seconds in front of me.

PhilMoore
05-04-2004, 08:05 AM
I had a lot of fun. Last year, I didn't get to race because my pipe was 106 db at idle.:eek2:

I got behind couple guys who wouldn't move. I let a huge utility quad pass me, and I followed him for a little while until we cought up to a yfz450. The guy wouldn't move over, and the utility guy was shouting at him for quite a while before he moved. He let the ute pass him in one of those grassy whooped out straights through the pines. I don't think the YFZ was going to let me pass, but I hammered it, and got past him. It was a little risky because I was in the tall grass, but I didn't hit any stumps or rocks, and got by him. There were several points in the race where strings of quads were backed up behind somebody who wouldn't move over. The sick thing is, the guy at the riders meeting said to let people pass if they are faster. If somebody comes flying up behind me, or is following me for more than half a minute, and I can't kick it up a notch and get far ahead of them, I let them go by. I don't think you don't lose much time, unless you let somebody pass, then catch up to them later and they won't move over... Which happened to me once or twice.
The Monticello track was really rough, but I liked it overall, except for the dusty field.

I probably won't make it to Arkansaw. I do intend to hit Hill City and Akeley. Good luck everyone!

komatsu kid
05-04-2004, 09:02 AM
hay phil moore i see on distirt23 site you were mad people didnt follow the noise rules. well i was one of those quads that was loud buy accident!!!!my muffler blew apart i deflenty wont run that loud on purpes.so you should talk to people before you say they didnt follow rules

Shawn H
05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
The only other B guy that i saw once i got into the woods was the TRX450R. He set a faster pace than i did when he passed me and he came in 4th overall 1st in B class and 32 seconds in front of me. [/B][/QUOTE]

It was more like almost 2 minutes I dont know where you got 32seconds. Better eat your wheeties for arkansaw:macho J/K

You going riding there this weekend? We will be there early sat so get your arse out bed and get there early too:D

Phil moore I wonder if it was me that you were trying to drive over on the start I have no tail light? I never felt anything

Shawn H
05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
My fancy aluminum airbox is not compatible with the Elka 400EX long travel setup...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ed=1080279420000&item=2468308174&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOT%3AUS%3A3

Same thing happened to komatsu kid a few weeks ago. We ended up turning his new stainless line of to the side instead of straight out like you got it there.

infantry317
05-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Congrats guys! I DNFed :mad: Got caught behind about five guys that wouldn't get out of the way on the first lap, suddenly they parted like the Red Sea and there was a stump I couldn't even react to. I went over the bars and the 416 went into a tree, destroyed the AC bumper. A little sore but ok, count my blessings I guess. I just bought a PRM cow-pusher bumper that I will exercise next time :devil: I thought the field should have been watered a little and steel stakes to mark the track when you can't even see are a bad idea, but other than that it was alright.

Cody and Chas were parked by us so we talked to them some I already knew Cody. Chas seems like a decent guy.
My wife brought me some Guiness, so my crash let me drink it sooner! :blah:

See you all in Arkansaw!
Scott

Luecker
05-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by buildinitnow
I was at monticello to. I started in the B class. I was tied for first going into the first turn with a 450R. He went too... wide and I went inside, man it was nice and clear up in first. The 450R was a lot faster than my 400ex was, because he caught me in the next straightaway and took me on the inside. I followed him to the next turn and he went way wide again, approximately 30 yards to wide. That was my chance and i went inside to be the first one into the woods in the B class. I checked out for a while until i caught the A guys approximately 1/2 a lap into it. I passed 6 of the A guys. I then finally got around a pimped blue 400ex A rider that would'nt let me buy. As soon as i got around him, the next corner i went to wide and hit a tree just to the left of my front bumper. The reason for this is because the motorcycles were going to the right of the tree and quads were going to the left. I misjudged the opening by a foot and hit the tree trying to go the motorcycle route. I got off pulled the ex back and the TRX 450R that was in second passed me along with 5( i believe) A guys( the pimped 400ex that i just passed made a wise crack at me for hitting the tree when he passed me, I just laughed at him when i passed him again!!!). I kept in eye contact with the 450R for the next two laps, but then i set my comfortable pace. I got 5th place overall and 2nd in the B class on a 400ex with a t-4 slip on, works front shocks and razr tires. Wow i had a good race, and i will be at arkansaw the 16th. I belive the ATV SPORT guys were at Monticello to. The one guy was riding a YFZ with elkas, an extended steering stem, and some other trick parts. The only reason i know this is because i read that they would be attending some D23 races with there yfz with elka shocks in ATV SPORT MAGAZINE. So when i seen the yfz with elkas and atv sport stickers all over it i knew it must be them. The only other B guy that i saw once i got into the woods was the TRX450R. He set a faster pace than i did when he passed me and he came in 4th overall 1st in B class and 32 seconds in front of me.

Is this you?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pc8718c2a45ca3c940c4d2a7c288336c1/f8cb76ed.jpg

PhilMoore
05-04-2004, 05:48 PM
My bad. The pic above I thought was the first wave, I believe it was the last wave now because here is a pic of the first wave launching.

PhilMoore
05-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Second wave (B quad) launching.

buildinitnow
05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Thats me. Thats the first picture that i have seen of the start of the B class. I will agree with the steel stakes, they were a little scary.

Shawn H
05-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Yea I wondered what the heck they were thinking by using steel stakes.The ground was not that hard to install wood stakes. I about clipped 1 on the 3rd corner in 4th gear tapped out. :eek2: