PDA

View Full Version : 400ex engine questions

cgamla
05-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey I'm sort of new here but have been a long time mechanic. I bought a 400ex that was totally disassembled and now I am working on getting it back together. I need to know if there is a gasket that goes under the rocker cover. I didn't take mine apart so I didn't know. Plus my gasket kit did not come with one so i used rtv. I had to readjust my valve clearances also in order to get enough compression for it to run. Secondly when I first started it up I had the plugs on the left side of the engine removed for looking at the timing marks and once it fired I promptly got a bunch of hot oil sprayed on me. Is the stator supposed to run in oil like that? Thanks for the help in advance.

Knips178
05-03-2004, 11:02 AM
yes there is a valve cover gasket that is metal so it is reusable.
There may be some oil on that side, but shouldn't be much if any. i had some in mine on that side, but it was barelly any. do you have alot, like a puddle?

44oEX
05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
yes there is sopposed to be oil there. The bottom of the crankcase is open ( hole ) so that oil can get in. And all your wirering is sealed so you don't have to worry.

And like Knips saied there is a steel gasket.

cgamla
05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
thanks gents