PDA

View Full Version : Question about assembling front end..

Jay300ex
05-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Hey guys, got to putting my stuff together today, and got everything in the front end finger tight, went to tighten the castle nuts on the a-arm/ball joint to the spindle, and the ball joint just spins and it won't thread and tighten.

I think it's because of the cotter pin hole causing the bolt to catch, but it's being a pain in the arse. IS there a trick to do this? I was just thinking about running a die up the stud and seeing if that helps, other then that I don't know what I can do.

Jay

redrunner
05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
We had a post on this about a month ago do a search on a-arms or my name, but any way the way I did it was to put a few washers on the threaded end and use the nut to draw the taper into the hole to seat it. Make sure you leave enough threads for the nut to get a good bite. tighten it slowly onto the washers then once you feel it snug up the tapers slowly back off the nut and remove the washers. It should be locked down enough to run the nut on and tighten slowly so it doesn't break loose.

300exOH
05-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
We had a post on this about a month ago do a search on a-arms or my name, but any way the way I did it was to put a few washers on the threaded end and use the nut to draw the taper into the hole to seat it. Make sure you leave enough threads for the nut to get a good bite. tighten it slowly onto the washers then once you feel it snug up the tapers slowly back off the nut and remove the washers. It should be locked down enough to run the nut on and tighten slowly so it doesn't break loose.

Good idea.

I also found that you can just put pressure on the spindle(to bind the ball joint somewhat) and thread on the nut.

redrunner
05-03-2004, 08:03 AM
I tried that too but couldn't get it to lock up.:(

Jay300ex
05-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

Jay