PDA

View Full Version : Got the 416 broke in......Have a few problems?

JhallettEX
03-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Well, after running it for a while a tickin noise started from the top end. This noise is similar to what every 400ex sounds like other than it is alot louder. My valves are adjusted right, so I am 99% positive it is not that. Is this normal?

Also upon acceleration there is a loud whinning noise, kinda like a screaching noise coming from somewhere, This only happens when I first give it some gas, and stops, however; once a switch gears and give it gas again you can hear this same noise. Have no clue. Please help.

Just so you know I ran it for 3 - 30 min rides, and then changed the oil to synthetic, I also put in a new filter and changed the plug to a 8. What plug should I be running?

Other than these problems the break in went really well, I didn't thnk it was running that good until about 3 hours into the break in. It is really stong and has amazing power.

CranMan
03-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Did you get your cam chain guides in right? How about the tensioner? I'm just wondering if you cam chain is slack or the guide is rubbing it the wrong way. I'd be pretty nervous if my EX was making the sounds you describe. I've got mine apart right now, in process with the 416 kit. I know that sometimes I think I hear sounds when I'm nervous about something I've put together. Have someone listen to it without telling them what you're hearing, and see what they say.....

JhallettEX
03-18-2002, 10:04 AM
I will check those again, will let you know......Any other ideas?

rydes400ex
03-18-2002, 12:46 PM
I would stay with the 9 plug with the 416

JhallettEX
03-18-2002, 01:59 PM
The higher the # the colder it is, Right?

rydes400ex
03-18-2002, 02:05 PM
yes

rhandw69
03-18-2002, 02:08 PM
I had the EXACT same problem. I later Re adjusted my valves, and noticed also that my timing was off. ALso pay close attention to your jetting.
Good luck

JhallettEX
03-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Rhand.....Can you tell me a little more about what exactly you did you fix your problem?

03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Mine made a louder than stock ticking noise also, plus it seemed to lack power when I swifted when I was drag racing.

I checked my cam sprocket alignment. I was off about one tooth. The lines on the cam sprocket should be parallel to the head. I had a buddy help me hold the sprocket in the proper alignment when I put it back together the second time. I also moved my clip down one on the needle. This really made the bike run better power wise, my mid was a lot stronger. It still ticks a little louder than stock. The ticking did seem to get quieter after switching to synthetic oil (amsoil) and getting more hours one the motor.

I have since drilled six one inch holes in the air box lid with uni filter vents and gone up quite a bit on the main. I think I have the jetting dailed in pretty good. Mine really hits it in third gear.
Hope this helps.

03-18-2002, 09:14 PM
alright..i'm here to slove your problems. the valvle noise is louder on my 416 too and there adjusted right so i ignore it. the screech is your clutch sliping. my quad does it too
the power is alot different on mine too. and i still have my stock cam.
thats a nice pic too. good luck on your quad

JhallettEX
03-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Can anyone confirm this screech is my clutch, if so what will fix it. Different springs or new plates? Not real familar with the clutch and what it consist of or how to make it srtonger.

03-19-2002, 08:56 AM
I think I know the noise your talkin about and mine does it also,,it's not really a screech but a odd noise yes..Mines done it for quit some time,,I think you'll be OK.

knighttime
03-19-2002, 09:22 AM
A few noises are ok, but not desirable.

When VWVR6 and I tore my engine down and made it a 420EX I didn't notice any odd noises at all. It was louder, thats about it. It also ran like a mofo, and still does.

:huh

I think you maybe should open it up again.:eek: :confused: :eek:

rhandw69
03-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Im not too familiar with a screeching sound. The only sound i had was the loud ticking. When it first started, i thought it was something like my piston. It only did it when i was at high rpms. When it was cold or when i was going slow it didnt do it.
We checked the plug, and i noticed that i was running very very lean. Dangerously lean!!! I played with my jetting all weekend and the problem still existed. Needless to say,,,my bike ran like crap. So i put in a new cam about 2 months later, and when we stripped to top end off, we seen that my timing was 're-tarted" by about 1.5 teeth length. NOT GOOD. So we put in a new cam, adjusted my valves (which needed it) and now,,,,,well now its like a totally different bike.
SO im not sure what it was that helped. I know it was lean, and i know my timing was off. So start with that, and see how things shape up for you.
Rhan

JhallettEX
03-19-2002, 09:54 AM
OK this is going to be a stupid questions, How do you tell if you are running lean? My bike seems to run fine it doesn't spit and sputter at full throttle or anything. Thanks

Also, I am running a FCR 39mm carb with a 170 main and a 52 pilot. I am not sure what position the clip is on because I never opened it up because I ordered a new needle that is suppose to be better. When I get it I will change out the needles, I think the one that I ordered was a EMP and the one that is in it is a EMR? Not for sure tho.

03-19-2002, 10:12 AM
If your lean it should backfire or pop,,when cracking the throttle and letting off real quick,,,even if it's just idling sittin in your garage..

03-19-2002, 10:36 AM
i know the screeching is the clutch. go take anyones 400 ex out and but it in second. rev the crap out of it and dump the clutch..you'll hear it. mine does it when i launch of the line.

JhallettEX
03-19-2002, 11:16 AM
OK, Is this going to hurt my clutch at all? Should I have to replace anything within the clutch, ; springs, plates.?

03-19-2002, 11:34 AM
i really think it's more of not enough preasure on the clutch from the springs. i'm thinking of going to cr500 springs or using spark plug crush washers to stiffen the clutch springs.

400exRacerX
03-19-2002, 02:02 PM
The stock 400ex clutch is crap in my opinion. It slipped all the time with a stock motor. I'm installing my 416 tonight and tomorrow night since I got my cylinder back. After its back together I will be contacting hinson racing and I am going to replace the whole clutch. I'm going to buy the pressure plate, basket, and inner hub. I'll also be going wth the 8 plate conversion. I think this should handle all the extra power and abuse.

MIKE400EX
03-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Cr500 springs are much shorter than stock 400EX springs, you'll end up with a lot LESS pressure.