PDA

View Full Version : how much is a 450 bigbore kit is. z400

450rboy
05-02-2004, 07:03 PM
and what does it all take to get a z400 to get running like a yfz450. and how much does it cost for the big bore kit for a z400 cost.

i can't believe my self. i use to like honda just like last week but the 450r cost to much. and i do like William yokley and i saw how good that thing can run aginst the yfz450s and the 450rs. and the z400 is cheaper and just as good. i am gonna trade my warrior in on a brand new z400

shagy
05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
if your going to be racing all the time id go w/ the yfz. if your going to be doing all around, the Z can be modded, but to get it up to a stock yfz stats costs some money, about the same it would to buy a yfz

450rboy
05-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by shagy
if your going to be racing all the time id go w/ the yfz. if your going to be doing all around, the Z can be modded, but to get it up to a stock yfz stats costs some money, about the same it would to buy a yfz

no i ain't gonna be racing. just trail riding and some stuff like gncc racing just a little bit though

450rboy
05-02-2004, 08:15 PM

and another thing. i won't buy the yfz because of how much it cost. and i am going to trade in my warrior any way. i just don't like yamaha. i like to go with stuff that a lot of people don't have. and i have seen how good the z400 can do. so i am going with that

chucked
05-03-2004, 08:38 AM
so ur gonna spend rougly 5500 on a z400 put a big bore kit, piston and sleeve, in which is probably 500, you will need cams, hardened rockers, larger valves, porting, exhaust, intake and jetting to make it run right, so you will probably have about $2000 in the engine so thats 7500 total, and you still wont have the suspension of a yzf or trx 450 and also you lost a lot of reliability out of the z400 unless you put a stronger crank, rod, clutch in it. But still the tranny and everything was designed with only a 400cc engine powering it. Im willing to bet you dont get a z400 OR a yzf 450 OR a trx450. anyone that will take a z400 over a yfz450 is SMOKING CRACK!!!

shagy
05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
you asked what it would take to get a z400 up to par w/ a yfz450. i read an article in either DW or atvsport, it will cost 2-3G to get the motor up to par w/ the yfz motor. then add 1G for the CHEAPEST shocks. thats roughly 4G's for a bomb motor and equal shocks. the MSRP for a Z is around 5Gs MSRP, add 4grand, thats more than a yfz MSRP. if you want to be EQUAL w/ a yfz, dont get a Z unless you can throw cash away liike nothing

chucked-i chose a Z instead of yfz, im not smoking crack. it was too low for me (im 6'4) it was brand new (not to be trusted) and it was about 2 grand more expensive. take a yfz in a trail w/ a Z in a trail, equal riders, it will be equil performance. people need to understand a yfz is a race ready quad. not a better than any other quad.

chucked
05-03-2004, 08:49 AM

chucked-i chose a Z instead of yfz, im not smoking crack. it was too low for me (im 6'4) it was brand new (not to be trusted) and it was about 2 grand more expensive. take a yfz in a trail w/ a Z in a trail, equal riders, it will be equil performance. people need to understand a yfz is a race ready quad. not a better than any other quad.

I should have added something about price in the comment I made. This boy wants to buy a z400 and sink $$$$$'s into it to make it as fast as the 450 and hes gonna end up spending more in the long run.

Out_Sider
05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I should have added something about price in the comment I made. This boy wants to buy a z400 and sink $$$$$'s into it to make it as fast as the 450 and hes gonna end up spending more in the long run.

then let him

KFX21
05-17-2004, 07:46 PM
First off Z's DO NOT have rockers wonder boy, next is they
don't need larger valves either, they already have 36mm
intakes and 26mm exhaust, you don't need any bigger for
trail riding, He** you don't need to change valves, my CT
motor has stock valves still in it. I run a CT 440 motor with
an all around port job and it does great against your almighty
YFZ and 450R. Total cost was about $900 and i bought a used
LSR axle $230 and ALBA'S PRO-COMP a-arms and shocks, it
will also outrun about any 440 EX i race against, and i have a
lot less money in mine.

Out_Sider
05-18-2004, 08:03 AM
i dont get it...everyone is taking about how they should sell their z400's and get a yfz450 or a trx450r...when its obvious to see that the Yosh/Suzuki Z400 IS the fastest quad in the GNC pro class..it sure has been seeing ALOT more wins that the HOnda or Yamaha....

Z450RACER #67R
05-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah, don't forget that GUST has STOCK valves, cams, porting and connecting rod. Might I also add he has had no engine problems.
Whereas I know of a pro (name kept anonymous) that has had atleast 2 cracked pistons and has to rebuild or get a new engine almost every race and he runs the mighty YFZ.

You may spend more on the Z but its not another 4+G's like everyone says.... don't forget aftermarket shocks,A-arms, Swingarm for the YFZ also.....I haven't seen one without aftermarket on them at the track YET!!!EXCEPT for C-Class

Besides when you do get it up to par its RIDER skill from there on

450RBOY- what you do is your business

pin it and I'm gone, later guys
Z450RACER

chucked
05-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Z450RACER #67R
Oh yeah, don't forget that GUST has STOCK valves, cams, porting and connecting rod. Might I also add he has had no engine problems.
Whereas I know of a pro (name kept anonymous) that has had atleast 2 cracked pistons and has to rebuild or get a new engine almost every race and he runs the mighty YFZ.

You may spend more on the Z but its not another 4+G's like everyone says.... don't forget aftermarket shocks,A-arms, Swingarm for the YFZ also.....I haven't seen one without aftermarket on them at the track YET!!!EXCEPT for C-Class

Besides when you do get it up to par its RIDER skill from there on

450RBOY- what you do is your business

pin it and I'm gone, later guys
Z450RACER 450Rboy isnt ever gonna buy anything so you can save your breath.

KFX21
05-19-2004, 05:00 PM
FINALLY......... someone besides me that's not blinded by
the over rated 450R nd YFZ. They are supposed to be race
ready but the only one that has been so far is the C-Dale
Moto, decient shocks don't make a quad race ready.

montyjcm
05-20-2004, 06:40 PM
And you don't need to spend 1grand on front shocks. My works work fine. I think that they are around 500.

Gt thunder has some 440 kits that will get you up in the 40hp+ for less than one grand installed!

suzukitony64
05-23-2004, 06:06 PM
let the guy do his thing , im tired of this is faster than that syndrom, all i know is that when i get into modifyin my machines it just makes it more mine and personal. Seen alot of guys with the latest,fastest,blingbling get roosted by machines 2-5 years older.they say theres nothin like cc's well expirience is worth alot more and pride in your ride even more.
These guys who get the latest every year have an inherent problem which is they never get to fully get use to the machine like say everyone except "Gust" and make it there own which results into speed ,confidence and wins. I cant tell you how many slightly done ex's and z's even the 250r smokin these new machines at our local tracks, if ya want a z then get a z or what ever, happy means speed thinkin your fast because you have the latest is just plain, well look at the guy smillin has he passes you on an ex in the trails then get a mirror :devil:

TC426EX
05-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Go ahead and BUILD THAT Z MAN!! Go with the GT thunder kit or call tom carlson at TC!! RIDER SKILL is the biggest factor. As long as you can get your bike in the ballpark of the other machines you WILL be able to beat them. Take myself for example, I run am "outdated" 400ex that I have been racing since '02. With a TC 426 motor kit I am beating riders who think they are the ****e on 450's all day long. I beat them EVERY WEEKEND and watch them cry back to the pits and shake their heads because an EX isnt supposed to be able to BEAT the 450's. My SKILL is obviously higher than theirs as I am currently 2nd in the B class in my area. If you sink about a G into that Z you will be competitive no doubt!! More important is the chassis though. You can put as big of a motor kit as you want in there, but if your chassis is still holding you back youre screwed and NONE of that power is gonna get to the ground where it needs to be fast!!!!

montyjcm
05-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah, it is 90% rider. So, your z will be fine.

BTW TC, your ex isn't no slouch.;)

450rboy
05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
so ur gonna spend rougly 5500 on a z400 put a big bore kit, piston and sleeve, in which is probably 500, you will need cams, hardened rockers, larger valves, porting, exhaust, intake and jetting to make it run right, so you will probably have about $2000 in the engine so thats 7500 total, and you still wont have the suspension of a yzf or trx 450 and also you lost a lot of reliability out of the z400 unless you put a stronger crank, rod, clutch in it. But still the tranny and everything was designed with only a 400cc engine powering it. Im willing to bet you dont get a z400 OR a yzf 450 OR a trx450. anyone that will take a z400 over a yfz450 is SMOKING CRACK!!!

well man i was thinks of gettting a used z400 and doing that **** to it. and i more loyal to the ltzs and trxs. i just don't like yamaha a lot as much as i do honda and the ltz

450rboy
05-26-2004, 11:52 AM
and also. now not as many people are racing the z400s and i want something different and than the other people do. but i wouldn't mind having the 450r

450rboy
05-26-2004, 12:01 PM
450Rboy isnt ever gonna buy anything so you can save your breath.

well man if you make money and kept on making it like i am right now. i am doing really really good. i know

Z450RACER #67R
05-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Chucked, The Z doesn't have rockers...the stock rod will do (Gust runs a stock rod for crying out loud!!!), don't need oversized valves either. You obviously don't know the Z400 as well as you think you do, so be quiet.

Thank you,
bye

Z450RACER #67R

400exTN
05-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Chucked, the stock rod will do (Gust runs a stock rod for crying out loud!!!) You obviously don't know the Z400 as well as you think you do, so be quiet.

Thank you,
bye

Z450RACER #67R

So you are saying Gust isn't using the Yoshimura 450 stroker kit named after him.

Z450RACER #67R
05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Yes he is using the Yoshi "Digger" 450 kit BUT you still maintain the stock connecting rod and stock crank but the crank is modified to increase the stroke. Gust also uses stock porting and valves.

Z450RACER #67R

400exTN
05-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes he is using the Yoshi "Digger" 450 kit BUT you still maintain the stock connecting rod and stock crank but the crank is modified to increase the stroke. Gust also uses stock porting and valves.

Z450RACER #67R

I got ya on the stroker but are you sure his head isn't ported. I know for a fact another Pro rider used the Yoshi 450 kit and was told they could get the exact same kit but not the head work.

Z450RACER #67R
05-27-2004, 12:19 AM
I only know of 4 pro riders that ride the Z anymore, and thats Doug Gust, William Yokely, Cory Ellerbroek and Cindy Hart. I am pretty sure Gust doesn't have any head work done except for the cams and I think valve springs. He might too fast for the competition if he did :) !! Jus kiddin

later
Z450RACER #67R

popo
05-27-2004, 06:05 AM
I know William's engine has had head work done to it.

Z450RACER #67R
05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
It's possible...I don't know too much on Yokely except the fact he's keep the Z alive in the GNCC P-Production class, not all with first places like Gust but he's makin it look good.

400exTN
05-27-2004, 08:05 AM
I only know of 4 pro riders that ride the Z anymore, and thats Doug Gust, William Yokely, Cory Ellerbroek and Cindy Hart. I am pretty sure Gust doesn't have any head work done except for the cams and I think valve springs. He might too fast for the competition if he did :) !! Jus kiddin

later
Z450RACER #67R

I forgot to add that it was last year about the porting. It really doesn't matter either way. All I can says is that motor is strong and I have never heard of anyone has problems with it. I'm trying to talk the fiance into letting send my motor to them as well.

400exTN
05-27-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by popo
I know William's engine has had head work done to it.

Popo,

I thought I read somewhere that you have the GT Thunders stroker motor, if so what are the differences between the Yoshi and GT strokers?

Z450RACER #67R
05-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Yeah they are more reliable than YFZ and I could prove that!!!

400exTN
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah they are more reliable than YFZ and I could prove that!!!

I can't remember Gust not finishing a race due to motor failure last year or this year.

How many of the Pro Yammie riders have dnf'ed due to motor problems since the beginning of the season?

popo
05-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exTN
Popo,

I thought I read somewhere that you have the GT Thunders stroker motor, if so what are the differences between the Yoshi and GT strokers?

I have a 440. I went with GT because the man does quality work and is just a phone call away or an hour drive if I have problems.

montyjcm
05-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Does GT thunder accept shipped engines?

Lucky
05-28-2004, 06:43 PM
I am sure they do. Almost all shops accept them.

GT Thunder (http://www.gtthunder.com)