PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Sproket and tyre selsction

SADude
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Please help, I am currently running a 22 inch tyre on the rear and am running the standard sprocket setup 15/38. I feel that there is a lack of torque when I am climbing hills and my acceleration is what it should be, I know that the rear tyre are supposed to be 20 inch, but the 22 inch help with ground clearance when trail riding. do I go for a 14 tooth front or keep it at 15 and change the back sprocket, to ?????

Please respond, thanks

JOEX
05-02-2004, 09:12 PM
The easiest/cheapest/simplest change is the front sprocket. Using a 14 tooth front will put you close to stock gearing with 22" tires.

LazeR
05-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
The easiest/cheapest/simplest change is the front sprocket. Using a 14 tooth front will put you close to stock gearing with 22" tires.

I could not of said it better myself... I checked it on a chart awhile ago that was online i would post the link but i can't remember and with just a 14 in the front i think you still gain 1-2mph on the top end

04'400ex'er
05-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I would go to a 14/40 setup for climbing hills.It is close to the equivlant of dropping a front tooth on a stock bike for more torque. You cant spell.

Doibugu2
05-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I would go to a 14/40 setup for climbing hills.It is close to the equivlant of dropping a front tooth on a stock bike for more torque. You cant spell.

look where he is from, I would bet English is not his first language.

UglyMotha™
05-03-2004, 11:48 AM

neither can you, try Equivalent :rolleyes:

i'm sure they speak alot of english down in south africa

SADude
05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
English is my first language, so excuse the spelling mistakes. The spelling of some of the word are a little different as we spell word the same way as the British, although I must admit spelling was never my strong point. Thanks for the info. here is a revised version of my original message.

400ex Sprocket and tyre selection
Please help, I am currently running a 22 inch tyre on the rear and am running the standard sprocket setup 15/38. I feel that there is a lack of torque when I am climbing hills and my acceleration isn't what it should be, I know that the rear tyre are supposed to be 20 inch, but the 22 inch help with ground clearance when trail riding. do I go for a 14 tooth front or keep it at 15 and change the back sprocket, to ?????

Please respond, thanks

04'400ex'er
05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
look where he is from, I would bet English is not his first language.

LOL sorry man my bad.

05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
LOL sorry man my bad. :cool:

04'400ex'er
05-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
neither can you, try Equivalent :rolleyes:

i'm sure they speak alot of english down in south africa

Looks like they do speak a little english down in africa bud. your wrong .You're pretty mouthy,also.every time someone says something incorrect You are there to crittisize.What's up with that?Half of the time you are talking to teenagers man.that's pretty LOW.:( And it's tire lol

SADude
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey 04'400ex'er

Just one question, if I go to a 14/40 you say that it would be equivalent to going to a 14/38 if I had stock tyres. does this create a lot more torque? Would this allow be to go up a hill in second instead of first gear? I lied, two questions. South Africa is an unusual country as we have 11 official languages, I can only speak two of them. South Africa is awesome, sun, fun and loads of places to ride quads, bikes, etc. Do a search on the "Roof of Africa" it is one of our national races and is really good.

We also have some really good rider here like Cornel de Villiers winner of the famous international Paris to Dakar Rally, 11000km on a Quad, about 6875 mile over 18 days. you could do a search on that as well if you like.

Cheers for now

04'400ex'er
05-03-2004, 12:24 PM
dropping a front tooth on a stock bike will give you alot more torque for hillclimbs over the stock gearing.keep in mind you cant have huge top end speed and acceleration,so if you did this setup you would loose some top end speed. When you ask about climbing in second gear instead of first? what do you mean? I climb long hills with a stock bike and it never looses power.it might be a little tougher with stock gearing, but it should still climb it fine.

UglyMotha™
05-03-2004, 12:56 PM
You're pretty mouthy,also.every time someone says something incorrect You are there to crittisize

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/neel_suckers.gif

it's criticize:D http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/giv%20me%20back%20ma%20smocks.gif

05-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SADude

We also have some really good rider here like Cornel de Villiers winner of the famous international Paris to Dakar Rally, 11000km on a Quad, about 6875 mile over 18 days. you could do a search on that as well if you like.

Cheers for now

Them guys are nuts. I've read articles on the Roof of Africa and it makes the baja look like a mini race...:o

welcome to exriders.com SADude

I"d go with a 14 tooth and be done with it. No need to swap out 2 sprockets when changing out the front will accomplish the goal your trying to reach.:cool:

Doibugu2
05-03-2004, 01:05 PM
LMAO of Ugly, that is why it's nice to have you around.

Oh and Rico is bloody right. (my british impersonation (sp))

Changing the front sprocket only takes about 5 minutes and the gain is very nice on a stock engine.

04'400ex'er
05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/neel_suckers.gif

it's criticize:D http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/giv%20me%20back%20ma%20smocks.gif

Thats nice. Whare did ya get that?

UglyMotha™
05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
there rico's but don't tell him i'm stealing them :eek:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bouncingb.gif

SADude
05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Thank you for all your input, and thank you for the warm welcome to the forum. I look forward to being a participant to other threads in the future.

I will be picking up a 14 tooth sprocket today during lunch break here at work, (I work for an automotive electronics company called Shurlok International). I will try the sprocket out this weekend and give some feedback.

When I mention climbing hills in second instead of first gear, it is because I usually have to slap it into first due to the gradient of the hill and often there are large erosion step in the hill to contend with. I normally find that in first I can keep the momentum better, but then the 14 tooth may solve this problem.

jjthekj
05-04-2004, 12:24 AM
It should help.

SADude
05-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi

I tried my new sprocket last night, I took it for a spin down the road, it really feeling like there is a lot more acceleration and I can get the front end to lift easier. I am looking forward to trying it out on the next trail ride I go on.

Thanks for all the help.

Dub
05-11-2004, 07:10 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

Try this to figure out gearing verses tire size.

Dub