PDA

View Full Version : 87 honda 250x

freckles2004
05-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I have a 87 honda 250x with a timing problem. The guy that I bought it from rebuilt the motor and I think he has the timing off. I pulled the head off , and there are four lines on the cam sprocket. which one of those lines am I suppose to use? I have no access to a manual at this time and my son is getting itchy to get it going. I would appreciate any help
Thanks.

Mr.FDO
05-02-2004, 05:38 PM
There are two access plugs on ignition side cover (shifter side) . Remove these and turn the crank until " T" mark on the flywheel aligns with the notch in the small hole . After you do this , you will set the cam in the head with cam lobes facing down . The cam sprocket bolts should be at 12 & 6 o'clock , while the marks on the sprocket are at 3 & 9 o'clock .

freckles2004
05-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks I will try that.

ghak99
05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr.FDO
There are two access plugs on ignition side cover (shifter side) . Remove these and turn the crank until " T" mark on the flywheel aligns with the notch in the small hole . After you do this , you will set the cam in the head with cam lobes facing down . The cam sprocket bolts should be at 12 & 6 o'clock , while the marks on the sprocket are at 3 & 9 o'clock .

He is correct, but just thought i would add that 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock is according to the line of motor stroke, not perpendicular with the ground.

good luck