PDA

View Full Version : Is it my battery or charging system?

ZSK
05-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Up front this is going to be a pretty long post but I need help.

The last ride I went on, I got to the parking lot unloaded and go to fire up the 300ex and it just clicks (relay). Put jumper cables on it and got it started. Didn't have a problem the rest of the day. I got home unloaded (started fine) put it in the barn pulled it out 2-3 hours later and nothing. Still clicks. Power washed it because it was pretty dirty. Tried again and nothing. Put the battery charger on it for about an hour, tried to start it and nothing. I pull started it with our polaris. Rode it not more than 50 yards back into the barn. Shut it off, hit the button and it fires right up. Onto today. Go out and hit the button fires right up. Load up to go riding. Got to the parking lot (hour drive) and unloaded fires right up. Multiple times getting it to idle right. Rode about 30 miles to a big hill climb area (Bull gap for the MI riders) Stopping about 4 times along the way, each time fires up fine. Got to the top of the hill and shut it off to watch some of the others climb the hill. Go to take off and nothing happens. No click, no buzz, nothing. Push it a little ways to bump start it on the hill. Make some runs and went back to the top to watch some more. Get ready to go again and the same ordeal. Rest of the day I had to bump start it to get it going. Got home, with my friend's 300 on the trailer still. We checked the voltage for the batteries. His was at 13.4 and mine was at 12.8. Jumped it and checked it while running. The voltage jumped any where from 4 volts to 19.6. Is it a charging problem? Or has my battery taken a crap? Thanks for the help.

BKex
05-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey cleanshave, did you check all the connections to ur battery and relay? You may have a ground loose or something happened on my old 250ex before tighten up the bolts and never had another problem.

ZSK
05-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeah, the bolts are all tight. I swapped the relay with Michigan rider (other 300ex) and the relay is good. I couldn't find any grounded wires, has me stumped and I need to get this fixed before the 16th. I'll be the only one having to push start my quad for the dead engine starts.:blah:

plkmonster2
05-01-2004, 11:11 PM
If all connections check out, I'd take a look at the cylinoid. Mine crapped out on me. Sometimes, it will click, but the rod gets stuck in there, so if I hold it, and hit it a few times, it will engage.

chucked
05-02-2004, 07:56 AM
take the wires off of the battery, solenoid, and the ground going to the frame from the battery and clean them with a wire brush, also clean the battery terminals. I had this probably friday.

jason4282002
05-17-2005, 09:40 AM
If you take your seat off and follow the wires from your battery there will be a little black box with a white top with a fuse in it. if that fuse is blown it wont start. because it sounds like your battery has enough voltage to start the engine. Im not saying that is it, but it might be

ZSK
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
It will start with a blown fuse. You have to either bump start it or jump the fuse socket with a paper clip. The clicking is caused by a low battery. In this case it was the battery.

BTW I posted this a year ago and don't even have the 300ex anymore.

05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
why on earth do ppl reply to poasts that are over 8 months old?

ZSK
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
why on earth do ppl reply to poasts that are over 8 months old?

He's obviously a new member who knows how to use the search button. I don't think you'd be one to speak seeing as you replied in a pointless manner also.:rolleyes: