PDA

View Full Version : Is it supposed to start in gear?

300extasy
05-01-2004, 12:22 PM
I did a search about starting in gear and I am confused. Is it supposed to be able to or not. If not what has to be done to allow you to start in gear.

TheFontMaster
05-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Yes it's suposed to start in gear. There is this little button that they clutch lever is suposed to hit. I had the same problem with my 300ex, and there was a post on this topic not to long ago and it helped me. If you look just to the right of the clutch lever you will see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps ya. :)

dariusld
05-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Yes it's suposed to start in gear. There is this little button that they clutch lever is suposed to hit. I had the same problem with my 300ex, and there was a post on this topic not to long ago and it helped me. If you look just to the right of the clutch lever you will see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps ya. :) No it's not supposed to start in gear, without the clutch lever being pulled in(or in neutral). This is a safety feature. If you have ever tried to start a manual transmission without this feature, you will know why :eek2: Some will forget to pull in the clutch, and the bike jumps forward or worse.

TheFontMaster
05-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry about not including the part about pulling in the clutch lever in my description, but it should be a given. I mean whose stupid enough to start the quad in gear, I mean honestly :rolleyes:

ZSK
05-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Actually it will start in neutral with the clutch out. In gear you need to pull the clutch in.

JOEX
05-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Sorry about not including the part about pulling in the clutch lever in my description, but it should be a given. I mean whose stupid enough to start the quad in gear, I mean honestly :rolleyes:
I guess you don't get out much........

TheFontMaster
05-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Mabey I don't get out enough, but around hear people know how to start their quad in gear.

JOEX
05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
I agree people who ride regularly know how to start their quad but there are newbies starting out all the time. Assuming someone you don't know knows how to start is a disaster waiting to happen;)

gentner8
05-02-2004, 04:49 PM
I just put on a magura hydrolic clutch on mine and just cut and twisted the wires together. It will start in gear clutch out or not, but then again, im not a new rider. I usually shift to neutral when we stop riding unless im on a hill.

outofsight
05-02-2004, 06:03 PM
My 400ex will start while in gear.

foxrider300
05-02-2004, 07:18 PM
if can start in gear or it doesnt have to if urs doesnt you just need to re wire ur wires and it will start in gear thats how mine is

04'400ex'er
05-02-2004, 08:35 PM
This is a real no-brainer thread. Anyone who has ever rode a manual clutch quad should now this. If you are new to the sport, you shoulda' read your owners manual.

JOEX
05-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
This is a real no-brainer thread. Anyone who has ever rode a manual clutch quad should now this. If you are new to the sport, you shoulda' read your owners manual.
I wish it were that simple but there are too many ignorant people out there who find lawyers who are willing to blame the manufacturer;)

300extasy
05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Ok my question was almost answered. I suppose I wasn't specific enough in my initial post. Heres the bottom line. I understand the clutch needs to be pulled to start in gear (I'm not an idiot though I know some people are). However, whether it is supposed to start in gear or not, mine doesn't and I want it to.

jay's 300
05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
There are two wires that go to your clutch lever housing. If you still have the black rubber cover on it, you will have to pull it back a little and you will see them. You can take them off of the little box they hook up to, or you can cut/ splice them. Either way they need to be connected. That should fix ya up. :D

300extasy
05-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Just did it. Worked perfect. Thanks.