PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone Microsoft certified or knows quite a bit about XP

Guy400
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM
At work we use a program built into XP called Net Send to send each other messages on our PC's. We have a Net Send hack where we can spoof who the message comes from. So, of course, we send each other messages claiming to be the boss telling them to come to the office, etc. What I want to know is, is there anywhere in Windows to tell where this message is really coming from? I want to know so I can tell who really is sending me the message so I don't blow my boss off if one of the messages really is from him.

KASCHAK
04-30-2004, 08:24 PM
haha start sending him messages telling him hes a fat arse from your co-workers.. and if you get one from him.. ignore it say you never got it

LTandRaptorider
04-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
At work we use a program built into XP called Net Send to send each other messages on our PC's. We have a Net Send hack where we can spoof who the message comes from. So, of course, we send each other messages claiming to be the boss telling them to come to the office, etc. What I want to know is, is there anywhere in Windows to tell where this message is really coming from? I want to know so I can tell who really is sending me the message so I don't blow my boss off if one of the messages really is from him.

From the start menu, go to Administrative Tools- Event Viewer. You can view the net send prompts, but I imagine it would have the same spoofed workstation ID... Good to clear those out though, in case you have something juicy you don't want seen! ;)

Guy400
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out when I get to the office tomorrow:D

We keep the messages clean enough that if they were ever read by a superior there's really nothing to get in trouble over.

sly400ex
04-30-2004, 10:27 PM
If I recall, within the net send message, it should actually have the machibe name for the PC it was sent from, then from the machine name you should be able to trace who is logged onto the PC at that time or/and the IP of the sending PC.

Basically what I am saying, there is definately a way to find who the message is REALLY coming from.....

wilkin250r
04-30-2004, 11:51 PM
It's not in XP, it would be in the Net Send program itself. I'm not familiar enough with Net Send to tell you exactly how, but I'm sure there is a way to find out WHERE the message came from, not just WHO it came from. And once you can figure out WHERE, it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out exactly who is pulling the pranks...

Guy400
05-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by sly400ex
If I recall, within the net send message, it should actually have the machibe name for the PC it was sent from, then from the machine name you should be able to trace who is logged onto the PC at that time or/and the IP of the sending PC.

Basically what I am saying, there is definately a way to find who the message is REALLY coming from..... That's what I'm trying to find out. Is there somewhere else to check the information of the messages. When I get a message there's a pop-up box and all it says is, "Message sent from YOUR BOSS to HULLG: 'I need to see you in my office.' " Once you click the OK button it disappears. I'll figure something out...