View Full Version : Is it normal for the carb to cut out?

450R_lover
04-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Well guys, i was just wondering if you guys are noticing the same thing with your 450R's, cause sometimes min will kind of sputter or cut out. My R is pretty much brand new, and i dont know if it's normal for it to do this. Sometimes when im riding and i slow down, i'll pull in the clutch and kinda rev it up a little and it will sputter and it sounds sorta like it cuts out.. but i was just wondering. Just tell me if your guys' does this... just need some info.. but i think this is normal. thanks

04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
i notce that if i go through deep woops or drop off a jump in too high a gear. this is because the carb has an accelarator pump wich squirts fuel into the engine when you hit the gas. if you'r in to high a gear the engine can't take the gas.try droping down a gear.

04-30-2004, 10:23 PM
check your idle & the throttle cable adjustment at the assembly from the handlebars...when i fot mine it was all messed up

TRX450rRoostin
04-30-2004, 10:25 PM
911 where in ct are you?

4fiddyR
04-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Your not hitting the rev limiter are ya?

04-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddyR
Your not hitting the rev limiter are ya? i doubt it..the rev limiter on this thing is to the moon so he'd have to really be hitting that throttle to have that...try to fix it like this...start it up & give it gas to warm it up for one minute...then let idle for a few seconds./...after a few second sgrab the white knob under choke lever & turn it towards the front wheels direction untill you get a adequate idle speed....if that doesnt solve it i dont kno what it is...i am very new to this machine 7 just figuing things out everyday ;)

450R_lover
05-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, i dont think there is any possible way it could be the rev limiter.. it usually happens when i just get done riding through tight woods where you have to ride slow. I kinda pull in the clutch and rev it up a bit to kind of clean it up and it does this.. i only hit the throttle like 1/4 just tapping it.. it's not that big of a deal i was just trying to see if you guys noticed this too... thanks for all your help

EvilJester400EX
05-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Sounds almost like what my YFZ does. Leave the bike at idle, then stab the throttle and it bogs out? I've tried so many different jetting changes, nothing works, lol, just gotta learn not to stab the throttle. My mechanic has told me that I'll never get it totally out, says that the new age 4 strokes have too big of carbs for such small engines.

4fiddyR
05-01-2004, 10:21 PM
1/4 throttle is the pilot jet, fattener up!
I didn't know what kind of riding you were doing, I run a good bit of MX, and I hit the rev limiter quite a bit.