PDA

View Full Version : ProFab 385 kit

10secKing
04-30-2004, 05:55 PM
has anyone ever dealt with one of these 385 kits. i got a 300ex and all my buddies said 400s and ds's and raptors and i wanna keep up on my 300. let me know what you guys think or kow about it. thanks:devil:

BLURR250X
04-30-2004, 06:44 PM
I have the Pro Fab 350 kit in my 250X.It is the same as the 385 for the 300.It is a huge power increase from stock. You will have no trouble keeping up with piped 400s and Z's. Your motor will run a lot hotter so u might want to consider an oil cooler if you decide to go with the kit. Its expensive though. Mine was just a little under 1700 with the 350 kit, machining, race cam, cam chain, new valves and some other minor work.

10secKing
04-30-2004, 08:11 PM
so its just a bore kit? no stroker crank? just wondering if was worth a sh*t. does this cause any problems with the geometry being out of square? thanks i just want to get the facts straight before i dump the money in it.thanks:devious:

Cody_300ex
04-30-2004, 10:03 PM
If your gonna spend that kind of money just buy a 400ex and put your money into that.

C41Xracer
05-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
If your gonna spend that kind of money just buy a 400ex and put your money into that.

I agree.i had a 395cc Four Stroke Tech 300ex and it would kill any piped quad but i feel its not worth the money after i already did it.

10secKing
05-01-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid

i know most people dont read sigs, but i already have a way modded 465ex. this is my play bike and a bike for my old lady to ride. i just want a fun toy to play around with

Cody_300ex
05-01-2004, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by 10secKing
i know most people dont read sigs, but i already have a way modded 465ex. this is my play bike and a bike for my old lady to ride. i just want a fun toy to play around with

Well than I would send the head off and get it Port and Polished, a web cam, hardened rockers, oversized vavles, Bore it out .80, and put a wesico piston in there. That should be right around 650 to 700 dollars and I think that will scoot you or your wife along pretty good. :)

BLURR250X
05-01-2004, 07:37 AM
so its just a bore kit? no stroker crank? just wondering if was worth a sh*t. does this cause any problems with the geometry being out of square? thanks i just want to get the facts straight before i dump the money in it.thanks

Was it worth it?No not really. Like I said it is a huge power increase over stock but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless u have cash to burn. I rebuilt my X from the ground up basically for my senior graduation project thats the only reason I did it. If I had it to do over again..I wouldn't. But I'm in too far now to give up. I could never get out of it what I've put into it so I might as well keep it.

dork
05-01-2004, 09:10 PM
i can't comment directly on the pro fab kit, but i put the 380 kit from FST in my buddies ex. the pro fab is just a piston and sleeve kit, no stroke, like the FST. the cases have to be clearanced for the sleeve to fit, and a HD rod is recommended.

as far as performance is concerned, its a huge difference. i'm running 14/36 gearing which it easily pulls. theres definitely a lot more torque. it turns the ex into one of the best wheelie machines/play quads, just wack the gas and pull up, plus you have reverse. there's no more vibration than stock either. for what its worth, i've run my stock 85 atc250r(no baffle, rejetted), and the 380 can pull it by about one bike length all the way through 5th. i've also run my buddies 02 raptor with PC T-4 pipe, K&N, and rejet, and we are neck and neck in a 300ft drag. it definitely makes the ex more competitive with the bigger quads.